Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternatives to chemical hair dye

• 27-09-2007 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm going to be dying my hair for the rest of my life or at least until I'm old enough to be able to work the silver look. As I'm naturally very dark I have to do my roots every few weeks to cover new white hairs that keep popping up.

I'm concerned about the effects of putting strong chemical hair dye on my scalp so often and wonder if anyone knows anything about the alternatives such vegetable hair dye or henna?

I didn't even know where I could buy either in Dublin but found a thread on henna saying it's available in a few places. Can anyone shed any light on veg dyes or just how messy henna is please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

hennas messy enough but it makes your hair so shiny. its available in lush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 bluestarshine

hey, you could try a health food shop for natural hair dyes i have seen them therebut i havent tried them myself. or check this website out

http://www.beautynaturals.com/cosmetic.asp?ref=TN-PM

i have ordered things from here before, they are great and dont charge rip off delivery prices to ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Most health shops have a brand of dye called Naturatint (I think) thats vegetable based. It has a great range of shades too. Don't know if you can buy it online anywhere but its worth a Google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Op

I use naturatint and it is fantastic, like you I have very dark hair and greying prematurely, for years I used chemical based colours, but now use this and it fantastic and my hair is thicker and glossier because of it. You can pick it up in any health food shop and if they don't stock then ask them to order it. I use 4n colour, my hair was dark and it is recommend you go two shades lighter for a more natural look, and it defo works. Also I would recommend using natural shampoos and conditioners as they also improve the quality of your hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

"Chemical based?"?! What in the world isn't made of chemicals? And how would you know if the chemicals found naturally in plants are any less harmful than the ones in normal hair dye?

Anyway, henna is quite nice. The red is stunning and the dark brown is very rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Reckon So

Thanks for all your replies! I've tried Naturatint and find it really good, I like the colour & it's worth paying an extra couple of euro for it.

Advertisement