Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand bike wanted

Options
  • 27-09-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Could someone recommend me a second hand bike - maybe someone knows someone selling a bike at the moment. I don't know much about bikes but I've been told that Giant and Trek are the two to go for. I've also been told to avoid suspension as you end up waisting a lot of energy bouncing the bike up and down.

I'm looking for something relatively light with fat tyres i.e. I don't want a racer because I want to be able to handle jumping onto curbs etc when needed without worrying about getting a puncture.

I don't really want to go above €250 if possible. Anywhere in Cork or Galway if possible. Also I will be in Dublin this weekend so if something turns up before then I could check it out.

Any help appreciated

(P.S. Forgot to say but I will also be looking for lights and mudguards - obviously I can add them on myself but if they are included then all the better)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Any half decent mountainbike should do, just put slicks on if it's for the city (~€30 for a pair depending). Just look for a decent component selection and frame make, there's lots out there.

You might have a job finding one though I don't know of any shops dealing in 2nd hand bikes as they'd be besieged by junkies looking to offload hot bikes all the time.

You might try your local college or similar, I'm in UCD at the moment and there's always people advertising bikes around the place.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I reckon you should get a bike with front suspension makes the ride much more comfortable, and you could put slicks on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd go for a hybrid. Buy & Sell and Adverts.ie are a good place to look. The Bike Shop in UCD offloads their stock of Trek hybrids ex-rental at the end of the summer, I'd give them a call. I think they are using T30s at the moment which come complete with rack and mudguards.

Trek and Giant are good brands; other big brands would include Specialized and Cannondale. Dawes also make very good hybrids IMO (the Discovery series.)

Personally I don't think you need suspension especially not at your price point.

Advertisement