Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lime Free Soil / Blueberry plants

Options
  • 27-09-2007 1:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought two blueberry palnts from the garden centre last weekend. They advised me to plant them in Lime Free Soil.
    Can I plant them in the garden, they grow to one and a half metres high and wide, in a trench with lime free compost? Would that be enough?
    Or. Plant them in very big containers with lime free compost?
    How critical is it? Would a big hole loaded up with specific compost do it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Much happier in containers as they require very acidic conditions. The snag is when it comes to watering as they need to be watered often, with rainwater.
    I grow a variety called "Goldtraub" in containers and it is a very heavy cropper.
    So yes, plant in Ericaceaous compost,with some grit mixed in to give good drainage, in containers in full sun but out of strong winds, water little and often with rainwater (in extreme drought conditions tap water mixed 1gal/1tbsp sulphate of iron), feed with Miracid or similar and enjoy. Don't forget, in warm weather (whatever that is), plants in containers may need to be watered even if it has been p*ing down with rain, so a water butt or even a plastic dust bin, to collect rainwater is a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Had a great crop this year from my two plant.

I just put then in the ground with rhododendron soil and fed them on rhododendron feed. Once in the winter once in the summer and I will feed them again next month.

Pots may be better but I will see what I get next year

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

garyh3 wrote:
    Had a great crop this year from my two plant.

I just put then in the ground with rhododendron soil and fed them on rhododendron feed. Once in the winter once in the summer and I will feed them again next month.

Pots may be better but I will see what I get next year

Garyh3

You could well be lucky, but you won't really know until the roots have grown through the Ericaceaous compost into your garden soil.

Advertisement