Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible job losses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That rumour has been floating for a while. I had heard about two months back that it was Dell that would be shedding 500 or 600 jobs in the New year, but the article is quick to say it is not Dell. Then again, how many companies are there in Limerick that could shed up to 700 jobs from their workforce? Cannot think of many places that have the ability to shed 700 and still have a large workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From reading the article it sounds like Analog Devices to me. They have a very large work force here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I'd go with Analog too. They already announced last month:

US computer parts maker Analog Devices in Limerick is shedding 150 jobs, it was revealed today.

The technology company, which is based in Raheen Business Park, wants to reduce its staff numbers over the next 12 months.

1,300 staff are currently employed at the facility which was set up in 1977.

The company employs around 9,000 people worldwide.

The job losses are being blamed on increasing costs in the Irish marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Have to say i'm worried about the area.
    Dell, Analog, Molex and now Tyco are all letting go large numbers of staff. My brother works for one of the companies and is currently looking for work in case he gets a tap on the shoulder and there isn't alot out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Banta? but not sure if they employ that many people at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah Dell have let big numbers of people go before and are always threathening to pull out of the region and yet every week i look at the job section in the leader leader i see...

HAVE YOU HEARD? DELL IS HIRING!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Crea wrote:
    Have to say i'm worried about the area.
    Dell, Analog, Molex and now Tyco are all letting go large numbers of staff. My brother works for one of the companies and is currently looking for work in case he gets a tap on the shoulder and there isn't alot out there.

Unfortunately this country has too much dependancy on large multi national corporations which were drawn over here by large tax incentives.

As soon as the going gets a little tough they usually let people go to cut costs. Ireland is finding it difficult to compete with cheap labour markets in developing countries such as Eastern Europe and the far east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

bazz26 wrote:
    Unfortunately this country has too much dependancy on large multi national corporations which were drawn over here by large tax incentives.

Our Shannon guys used to be able to buy a 3 bed house for less than 10 grand ...... now it's 200 minimum for the most basic 30 year old house ......

I rented a SFADCO one bed flat for 30 punts a month ...... that would just about get me a flat for a day now !!!!!! ........

Costs in every form ..... that's the problem ...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah Dell have let big numbers of people go before and are always threathening to pull out of the region...
    I've never heard of them "threatening" anything - any examples? 90% of everything I hear about Dell is complete hearsay or stuff blown out of proportion (e.g. "EMF3 is closing down once the plant in Poland opens!" bollocks) by the media. They're cutting like 100-200 jobs (I forget) in upper management as part of a global thing - nothing to do with rising costs here, as the facility in Ireland is their most efficient... somehow... and these are all gonna be done by voluntary redundancies and normal job-changyness (whatever that fancy word they have for that is).

They're hiring for production now (maybe not any more) as usual, because nothing's really changed.

Limerick Post website seems to be broken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Analog management have said its not them!

Perhaps a space-filler by a bored journo?? Or else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Some rumor says it is Thompson. not Analog as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Some rumor says it is Thompson. not Analog as far as I know.

Thompson... wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Arn't thompson gone??

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They let go 200 in March. Only some of its operations I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

MarkR wrote:
    They let go 200 in March. Only some of its operations I think.

My response was Thomson wtf, because I was one of the 200 let go, they have a handful of staff left, all of which will be gone in the next month or so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Somebody make this stop. Endless speculation on the basis of a vague irresponsible Limerick Post article.

Next week, band of roaming killer cabbages attack helpless widows in unknown limerick suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Aesop wrote:
    Somebody make this stop. Endless speculation on the basis of a vague irresponsible Limerick Post article.

Next week, band of roaming killer cabbages attack helpless widows in unknown limerick suburb.

Actually that was larger than average brussels sprouts, not cabbages. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

The only other plant that big in Limerick is Vistakon in Castletroy, but it's definately NOT them.
    A mate of mine works there and he says that they are actually expanding at the minute and are having trouble recruiting people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dexter101

Any more news on this topic? Were the limk post just stirring the pot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Both the Limerick Leader and Limerick Post are nothing but doom and gloom merchants, don't believe a word they print.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Tis not Analog Devices. Employees got an email from management
    to Confirm that any stories that may be doing the rounds due
    to the newspaper story were not ADI related.

I heard flextronics off a few people but have not facts to back that up.
    only heard the company being mentioned and that
    it was castletroy based.

Sick of the Leader getting their facts totally wrong for unrelated
    stories over and over again and I even have a family member
    working in the Leader office whom I have expressed my frustration
    but they dont seem to give a ****.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

bullets wrote:

I heard flextronics off a few people but have not facts to back that up.

~B

:eek: Mafia style ? LOL, just kidding.

My gut says Analog.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

I think this was a blatant space filler by a bored journo.
    Although i still think Dell will be gone in about 3 years
    I worked in the finance dept there and we all got told in a meeeting our dept was to be outsourced to Bratislava. We were told we could pack our bags and work there but earn roughly a quarter of the wage we were on (keep in mind Dell are a crap payer)
    I left immediately, didnt even get redundancy because they offered me some token job in the logistics department, i have a degree in business from U.L, counting the weights of trucks wasnt part of my course.
    i'm still bitter about my whole treatment from there. I wouldnt give a shiny ****e if the place went bust in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Interestingly, Dell are hiring: http://www.jobslimerick.ie/index.php?k=dell&l=

... but Analog Devices aren't: http://www.jobslimerick.ie/index.php?k=analog&l=

Dell have been always hiring since I started there in June. The demand for laptops right now is insane. The assembly plant in Poland is opening soon, but there's only like one or two lines built there so far and they need the extra capacity. EMF3 isn't gonna close any time soon, unless Dell go down - they are losing out to HP at the moment, but they're still No. 2.

is the target still 12 an hour for the laptops

I dunno, I've only been building for 3 weekends so I only have to do three an hour :) They're trying to bring in a points system to take into account the different amounts of work required for different models.

I worked there for a year and a half when i left uni (finance jobs were hard to come by in Limerick)
    So i got stuck in the Dell Hell
    Laptops were a 2 man build when i started. Our targets were 12 and hour which shot up to 15
    then we went to line 5 and a one man build where we had to get 10 out an hour which went up to 12.
    It was a nightmare, when you are facing these volumes the quality suffers
    the **** i used to throw up, just so i could reach my target
    i felt so guilty for the end user :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

dublindude wrote:
    Interestingly, Dell are hiring: http://www.jobslimerick.ie/index.php?k=dell&l=

... but Analog Devices aren't: http://www.jobslimerick.ie/index.php?k=analog&l=
    Management in Analog Devices came out to the employees with an email stating that it was not them.
    If it was them, then it would be an expensive loss, after all they built a brand new state of the art Fab last year or two ago in additional to the others there with their latest technology. Setting up Fab technology is not easy or cheap. UL would love to get their hands on some of it if they could afford it.
    When Analog mentioned the last set of layoff it was due to the shutting down of their older Fab and costs of running it in which its technology has similar process elsewhere.

Any other contenders who been in Limerick for the past 20 years with 700+ employee base?
    In Raheen Industrial Estate,
    beside Dell and Analog

Howmedia (styker) perhaps?
    Banta? Have they been here that long?

Any other contenders?
    The Article mention was Midwest, could it be a company in Shannon perhaps?

• Advertisement

What the hell do Banta do by the way? "Global Turnkey" could mean anything, and so far the closest answer to this question I've got so far is "something to do with boxes"...

Advertisement