Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridge collapse in Vietnam

• 27-09-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭

This happened yesterday, at least 52 dead and lots more injured.

i am quite interested to know how this happened. the bridge was under construction and not scheduled to open until next year. from the pictures and the video it would seem that the decks collapsed rather than the columns buckling.

my interest is piqued.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

sme wrote:
    This happened yesterday, at least 52 dead and lots more injured.

i am quite interested to know how this happened. the bridge was under construction and not scheduled to open until next year. from the pictures and the video it would seem that the decks collapsed rather than the columns buckling.

my interest is piqued.

This gets no coverage here yet the American bridge collapse got countless amounts of it. I wonder why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Officials were still investigating the cause of the accident. Cement had been poured into the collapsed section just one day earlier, on Tuesday. The bracing supporting it had apparently weakened, said Pham Van Dau, chairman of the Vinh Long people's committee.

If thats true I can probably tell you why it fell down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

so basically the props weren't strong enough to support the deck.

i agree with you about the media coverage, i saw this on rte news @ 1, but i watched about 2 hours of bbc news24 today and haven't seen anything about it.

sme wrote:
    so basically the props weren't strong enough to support the deck.

That seems a very basic error. It probably isnt as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

In regards to the props sometimes all the effort and design can go into the permanent case and aspects of the temporary case can be skimmed over especially when there is pressure on the job.

Incidentally, this is the first that I have heard of this on boards a week after!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement