Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Pharmacies withdrawing from HSE dispensing Schemes

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ElBarco wrote: »
    Quite possibly true! Again, I don't believe that pharmacists are simply box shifters. I do think we need someone in the HSE/pharmaceutical sector to come up with something.

Still, LTI Swiftcare may be the only option yet.

p.s. It's Mr ElBarco btw

Again I repeat, pharmacists have come up with 83million in savings (from cut payments) aside from their repeated suggestion for generic substitution (whihc FG suggest will save another 150million). Unfortunately the HSE/Harney have for 2 years refused to engage.

Another example is the methadone scheme, local pharmacist is 13 times cheaper per patient than local HSE clinics (independently verified by PWC or similar). When 40% of pharmacies close and you have on high volume shop per town, do you believe methadone patients will continue to be treated by the local pharmacy. Not a hope due to workload and they'll be back to clinics where dealers hang around outside preying on them. Another current saving that isn't factored in.

I have to say I'm amazed that posters have an issue with pharmacists who have been left with no option but to withdraw rather than the governments Hse who:
    - refuse for 2 years to talk to pharmacists
    - refuse to implement generic savings
    - announce 34% cuts by press release ten days before making the cuts.

I'd challenge anyone here, who has taken the time to understand the issue, to look above their own personal situation(difficult I know), and accept that pharmacists have no option.

Pharmacists have given a months notice, publisahed a list of shops that will adhere to the schemes (mainly the PLC's boots or unicare) and thus no patient will go without their meds. Unfortunately it reminds to be seen if HSE contigency plan will operate or if the remaining 20% of shops can cope with the deluge of patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

If it a pharmacy gives you poor service, use a different one. Complain and let them know you expect a good service or will take your business elsewhere.

This is probably not the case in your experience, but where a customer is not a regular and it is doubtful whether they will be returning the pharmacy mightn't re-order the drug. Make it clear to them you will be back next month or ring the day before to ensure timely supply. Never leave yourself short of medication either. Yes the pharmacy should so their job properly, but it is ultimately you who will ensure your health is looked after. I don't mean this insultingly, but rather than you are empowered!

Entry level salaries are no longer guaranteed high since the dispute in 2007 and continue to dip (will find link to retail ireland salary scales).

Pharmacists have a grave responsibility and thus salaries do and should reflect this risk. A pharmacist rightly bears responsibility for their actions, and this means they will be held responsible for their errors. A pharmacist in the UK was recently handed a custodial sentence for a non-deliberate error which resulted (partly implicated was the judgment) in the death of a patient. The sentence was suspended and the pharmacist resigned, but the precedent has been set (for pharmacists and other healthcare workers). Ironically the pharmacist pleaded mitigating circumstances (very busy UK pharmacy with no back up staff), but the judge (on much reflection rightly I believe) said she put herself at risk by working in those circumstances.

Problem i think is with big chain pharmacies like boots, Unicare etc. You never really get to know the pharmacist as the turnover of staff can be much higher than in privately owned operations. Owner/occupier pharmacists generally provide a much better service imo.

Are pharmacists fully responsible? I know of a pharmacist who messed up twice with a friends heart meds. Doctor couldnt understand why his condition wasnt improving, eventually figured out he was on half the perscribed dose. Nothing ever came of it. Cant imagine getting away with an error like in the company I work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

glaston wrote: »

Are pharmacists fully responsible? I know of a pharmacist who messed up twice with a friends heart meds. Doctor couldnt understand why his condition wasnt improving, eventually figured out he was on half the perscribed dose. Nothing ever came of it. Cant imagine getting away with an error like in the company I work for.

Did your friend complain? If this happens and the patient wishes to complain, complaints should be sent to the pharmacy regulator the PSI (Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland). If you don't complain nothing will come of it - same as other industries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

On re-reading my second to last post I'd like to apologise in case it came across as sarcastic or nasty in any way. I genuinely believe if people have the views expressed here of pharmacists then maybe, for them, they should start asking the HSE what their contingency plan is. None of it is said with sarcasm or anything else other than a sad resignation

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

On re-reading my second to last post I'd like to apologise in case it came across as sarcastic or nasty in any way. I genuinely believe if people have the views expressed here of pharmacists then maybe, for them, they should start asking the HSE what their contingency plan is. None of it is said with sarcasm or anything else other than a sad resignation

Right back at you - I didn't mean to come across as nasty in my response and apologise if I did.

I think we all have to realise that it's an emotive topic on both sides.

I may disagree with the IPU approach to this but I do respect the work done by pharmacists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You will all be fine - you seem to have a terribly low (upsettingly low actually) opinion of pharmacists so when they're gone maybe none of you will mind - Mary Harney has said she'll look after you.
    I don't think anybody has said they have a low opinion of pharmacists - at most people have said they have a low opinion of this action being taken by pharmacists. I don't think anyone - patient or pharmacist - has anything good to say about Mary so that's why I was hoping we could get some ideas on alternative outlets for our medicine or alternative plans without pointed sarcasm or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

again, i fail to see how the current approach of pharmacists can be regarded as low.

- ignored for 2 years by HSE/Doh
    - told that there fees would be cut by 35-42% by press release with just ten days notice
    - all other medical practictioners get 8% cut
    - From 1st July (start of new payments), many are now operating in loss making situation but are abiding by their legal notice requirement

They have abided by the legal requirements both in their notice period and also in that it is illegal to trade recklessly. A further complication is that if a pharmacist goes bankrupt, they are disbarred from practising.

I'm sorry but anyone who suggest that they would seek an alternative apporach is living in the clouds or being dishonest.

It will cause inconvenince to patients but there will be pharmacies open so nobody will go without their meds

I would ask that those concerned should contact their local TD and ask:
    - why have HSE/Doh refused to sit with pharmacists for last 2 years
    - why are pharmacists being hit for ~35% while all others are taking a 8% cut
    - what is HSE contingency plan that they refer to?

Instead of posting back and forth with pharmacists, it would advance your concerns to contact those who make the decisions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

On that note I am closing this thread. I do not believe that reheating an emotive topic is getting anyone anywhere. People understand eachother a lot better- we may not agree with one another- but we most certainly have learnt a lot from our interactions. We are going around in circles- I don't believe there is merit in continuing this discussion in this arena.

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Yes - agreed, and thanks SmcC :) Let's have a look at opening another thread a little later in the month, when we all know a bit more. We kind of depend on each other so let's try and remember we're all in this together :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement