Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax Problem

Options
  • 27-09-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

bought a used car just under 2 weeks ago. Insured it and I have the insurance displayed on the windscreen. I'm still waiting on the registration to be sent to me in my name so I can get it taxed.

Parked the car in a housing estate yesterday while I was at work, came back and there was this note on the windscreen:

This notice is to inform you that you are committing an offence of: Tax/Insurance
    Date: 25/09/07 Time: 13:15 Location: WoodPark

This leaves you liable to a Fixed Charged Penalty, which will be issued in due course.

Garda/Sergeant/Warden No. MT1503

Issued by: D.M.R. West Divisional Traffic Unit.
    Blanchardstown Garda Station.
    Tel: 01 6667000

So I rang the blanchardstown gardai and they said that the number mt1503 is a traffic warden not a member of the gardai. So they can't track down this person and they aren't being in the slightest bit helpful. I contacted the county council and they said to get back to the gardai. The gardai are saying that normally a guard would just ignore it when you said that the car is new but a traffic warden could try to uphold it and give me penalty points and a fine for it.

I just don't know who to contact to try to sort it out. I mean its so unfair that the car is barely 2 weeks old and they are trying to give me points and a fine for not having it taxed.if anyone on boards could point me in the direction of someone that might be able to help, or who i should contact i would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

No points for non display of road tax and why don't you put the receipt on display in the windscreen along with a note that you are awaiting the registration documents. Just make sure to back tax to the time you bought it in case you are summonsed to court that way the case will be thrown out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I stopped in cork not so long ago to pop into the bank fo 5-10 mins .
    Came out and saw a Traffic warden walking away from my car. Found a ticket which i first thought would be for parking but it was for non display of tax. it was out by ~3 months at the time. So i caught up with him and ask politely "how do i tax a car if i dont have a registration form, iv just bought the car a waiting for it to be sent to me" (which was a bit of a white lie , i actually had the reg form already). He took a note of what i said on the ticket and told me that i needed to send a letter stating that i was waiting for the reg cert.

The next day i taxed the car and forgot to send the letter until about 3 days before the time was up to pay. so i rang the CC parking office and i was told that no tickets were outstanding on my car. So i think you need to send tham a lettter stating the problem and im sure they will sort it out.

and i dont think you can get points for no tax
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

cheers lads, put my mind at ease with it. i didn't think you could get points for non display of tax. I've no points so far and i really didn't want to start with any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

here's a crazy one...

2 years ago, I was swapping the cars around the garden, as many of us do, moving one car in, one car out and the other all about etc...

I moved my sisters car outside the garden(she didn't use it at the time and wasn't taxed/insured)

Proceeded to move my car inside, I popped into the house for literally 3 mins and back to move my sisters car in again and 2 gardi were walking away after putting a notice on her car saying 'non display of tax'!!

Got the notice in the post, sent a letter back and thankfully it was all forgotten about!

Advertisement