Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Graves

Options
  • 27-09-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Just something that came to mind when I was in a local cemetary the other day and noticed a couple of 'war graves' (ie local people who died as a result of wounds sustained in action) and I was wondering something that perhaps someone can answer.

I know the military provided for the headstone, inscription etc, but was it a case they they HAD to be buried in such graves? The ones I had seen in town, and in the past in other towns were single graves on there own. Was there the option that the deceased could be buried in a non military plot? Or was it a case of 'heres your headstone, you'll be buried where we say', (in the local graveyard of course).

Anyway, any thoughts on it, I'd like to hear the 'rules and regs' regarding it. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you are referring to 1st and 2nd world war casualties, then take a look at www.cwgc.org who look after the cemetries and memorials.

My understanding is that if someone died from wounds "Back Home" then they were buried in their local cemetry and the services provided the headstone (Portland stone in the case of commonwealth casualties). The maintenance of the grave falls on the parish or church where the grave is, but the commonwealth wargraves commission will replace the headstone if necessary.

My local church in Portsmouth had a lot of Naval graves, but was not a military plot, the guys were just buried in the next available place, however, during a war a lot of people die in a short space of time so end up buried near each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I havent seen any WW2 grave Fred now that I think of it. The ones I seen were first world war, or shortly after (ie died of wounds). I just thought it strange that these young fella's werent buried with there family members (even when they had family in the same graveyard).

- Guess it could be a matter of money? ie the military paying for the plot and gravestone.

-Pride associated with it perhaps? ie 'theres so and so young fella who did his bit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Have seen British Great War grave on the ground of Black Abbey in Cashel and ex-Irish serviceman grave in Kilmalock /nothing to do with WWI & II/.

I think, that there are some rules, if you join the army, you are loosing some of your privilages of civil life. Army takes care of your wages, clothes, food, medical needs and your last needs as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

I know the military provided for the headstone, inscription etc, but was it a case they they HAD to be buried in such graves?

The family could opt for a private headstone if they wished. Here's one in Foulkstown, Co. Kilkenny.

delahunty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Question is, is this the real grave of Officer Joe Delahanty or "just" reminder of him?

Been pilot during the war his body might have never been found....

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the info fella's, very interesting!

Heres a couple of 'military graves' from one local graveyard:

th_00954_106_6584_122_544lo.JPGth_00961_106_6585_122_68lo.JPGth_00964_106_6586_122_1048lo.JPG

Pte. P. Mullhall and Pte. T. Mulhall were brothers, Patrick died as a result of wounds inflicted at Gallipoli and Thomas died also from wounds in January of 1918, aged 45. One family that lost two sons :(

I was telling a lie Fred, I did see a WW2 grave, Cpl. P. Mullhall, he served in WW1, was wounded at the Somme but went on to fight in WW2, died in 1940. Patrick is buried away from the other two Mullhalls, but they came from the same street, so they may have been related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

FiSe wrote:
    Question is, is this the real grave of Officer Joe Delahanty or "just" reminder of him?

Been pilot during the war his body might have never been found....

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2701620

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

If you are referring to 1st and 2nd world war casualties, then take a look at www.cwgc.org who look after the cemetries and memorials.

My understanding is that if someone died from wounds "Back Home" then they were buried in their local cemetry and the services provided the headstone (Portland stone in the case of commonwealth casualties). The maintenance of the grave falls on the parish or church where the grave is, but the commonwealth wargraves commission will replace the headstone if necessary.

My local church in Portsmouth had a lot of Naval graves, but was not a military plot, the guys were just buried in the next available place, however, during a war a lot of people die in a short space of time so end up buried near each other.

Yeah and if I can find any commonwealth wargraves in the Cabra area " so I can piss on them whenever I get the urge." Sounds familiar brit ? Not only would I piss on them, but I'd sh1te and wipe it all over the scumbag's names.:D ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

DublinDes wrote: »
    Yeah and if I can find any commonwealth wargraves in the Cabra area " so I can piss on them whenever I get the urge." Sounds familiar brit ? Not only would I piss on them, but I'd sh1te and wipe it all over the scumbag's names.:D ;)

Hill 16 humour Des ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DublinDes wrote: »
    McArmalite wrote: »
    Hill 16 humour Des ? :D

I think some counselling would help. These posts should be in personal issues:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think some counselling would help. These posts should be in personal issues:o

Thankfully Des had the decency to PM and tell me about them. I think this is what they call a suicide trolling:D

Strange though, for some reason I thought he may be in Derry for the next three months;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DublinDes banned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just came to this thread now.
    I am one of the volunteers who are photographing the wargraves in Ireland. The plan would be that eventually each soldier's CWGC record would also have a link to a photo of the headstone.
    There are 3051 that the CWGC are aware of (in British regiments), but we are finding others as we go looking for the ones we know about.

Many of them were Irish men and women, serving in the British, Canadian, South African, New Zealand and Australian forces.

If anyone on this thread has photos they would like to submit to the project, that would be great. Ideally the photos would be taken at the highest resolution possible and the headstone should fill the frame (or as near as).

spurious wrote: »
    Just came to this thread now.
    I am one of the volunteers who are photographing the wargraves in Ireland. The plan would be that eventually each soldier's CWGC record would also have a link to a photo of the headstone.
    There are 3051 that the CWGC are aware of (in British regiments), but we are finding others as we go looking for the ones we know about.

Many of them were Irish men and women, serving in the British, Canadian, South African, New Zealand and Australian forces.

If anyone on this thread has photos they would like to submit to the project, that would be great. Ideally the photos would be taken at the highest resolution possible and the headstone should fill the frame (or as near as).

Sounds interesting spurious! Be great to be able to achieve a good database of images to go along with the details. Are the images I posted earlier in the thread of good enough quality or do you want me to send you them again in higher res? I think I have another couple somewhere too.

Get back to me on it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The res is fine, they would just need to be taken so that the headstone fills the screen.
    The site is down at the moment while it transfers server, but here is a guide to taking the photos from one of the other projects:
    http://www.mapleleaflegacy.org/Photo_Guide.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just a heads up girl guides any more rubbish like that which DublinDes posted and it will be a one month ban from the whole Society section.

McArmalite you're walking close to the line as well.

Advertisement