Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Soccer This Weeekend

• 27-09-2007 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Friday, September 28
    Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Sligo Rovers Dalymount Park
    Bray Wanderers 7:45 Shamrock Rovers Carlisle Grounds
    Derry City 7:45 Cork City The Brandywell
    Galway United 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic Terryland Park
    Longford Town 7:55 Drogheda United Flancare Park
    UCD 8:00 Waterford United Belfield Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

First Division

Thurs 27 Sep (Tonight)
    Dundalk v Shelbourne

Fri 28 Sep
    Finn Harps -v- Cobh Ramblers

Sat 29 Sep
    Wexford Young Boys -v- Athlone Town
    Kilkenny City -v- Monaghan United
    Kildare County -v- Limerick 37

Game in Oriel tonight is a given. Shels will be resting some players and letting some of the fringe players play. Definite win for Dundalk.

I'll be heading up anyway.

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=751
    It is likely that from this point of the season on, players will be playing for their contracts for next season and the management is likely to give all members of the panel a reasonable opportunity to grab their chance.

Absolute MONSTER game in Ballybofey though. Ramblers top from Cobh by two points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Big game against the Bohs and their Change Leader Sir Sean of Connor , should be interesting , they done well on Monday and hopefully our week of rest will counter balance the loss of Hughes and O'Grady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

would love to be going to derry, those trips are madness.. fancy us to win by the odd goal..

i have an inkling that harps will end ramblers 27 game unbeaten run tomorrow.. a draw for rams would be a great result

Is there a match on telly tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

DesF wrote:
    Is there a match on telly tomorrow?

I think RTE are showing Longford v Drogheda

• Advertisement

RTE, nice one.

I might head along to Dalyer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

27 Sep 2007 Dundalk 7:45 Shelbourne Oriel Park
    28 Sep 2007 Finn Harps 8:00 Cobh Ramblers Finn Park
    29 Sep 2007 Wexford Yths 6:30 Athlone Town Wexford Complex
    29 Sep 2007 Kilkenny City 7:30 Monaghan United Buckley Park
    29 Sep 2007 Kildare County 7:45 Limerick 37 RSC

Biggest game of the season for Dundalk tonight, we're inching ever closer to getting our form back and for the first time in a while i'm actually pretty confident that we can get a win against a decent side. 14 games played at Oriel and not beating yet(10 wins and 4 draws).

Hopefully Shels will be a bit jaded seeing as this is their 6th game in a week. Dundalk 5/4 to win tonight and thats good enough for me.

Pighead, your ego knows no bounds. You need your very own thread for something we have already discussed.

Have a look here.

Ah Jesus, what a balls up! Can a mod please get over to the Soccer Forum straight away and delete the otehr thread please.

Pighead wrote:
    Biggest game of the season for Dundalk tonight, we're inching ever closer to getting our form back and for the first time in a while i'm actually pretty confident that we can get a win against a decent side. 14 games played at Oriel and not beating yet(10 wins and 4 draws).

Hopefully Shels will be a bit jaded seeing as this is their 6th game in a week. Dundalk 5/4 to win tonight and thats good enough for me.

Shels will definitely be resting players tonight, and it looks like Philly Hughes is back for Dundalk.

However, I can't see Dundalk winning the league, they will win tonight, no doubt, but once some of the younger/fringe Shels players put in a decent performance I'll be happy.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    Shels will definitely be resting players tonight, and it looks like Philly Hughes is back for Dundalk.

However, I can't see Dundalk winning the league, they will win tonight, no doubt, but once some of the younger/fringe Shels players put in a decent performance I'll be happy.
    No can't see Dundalk winning the league either. Finn Harps have slightly the easier run in of the 3 teams. Would be delighted with 2nd place.

Hughes is available tonight but theres rumours abound that he mightn't start. Vaughan and Doyle looked good last week and Phillys been poor the last few months. We'll see though, he'll definitely play some part tonight. Enjoy! Away back to Dundalk now to savour the pre match atmosphere!

Pighead wrote:
    Away back to Dundalk now to savour the pre match atmosphere!
    Are you actually going to be at the game this evening?

I'm going up, will be in Oriel at about 6.45, looking for the pressbox and a working vroadband connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dundalk one up after 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Shels were shocking tonight. We're so dependent on Flood its unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

...called off as a mark of respect to the 2 firemen who died in Bray.

I think one of them worked for the club aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Can any Bray fans tell me what is going on at the club? it appears to me as though the manager has fallen out with several players and is not playing them, is that the case or is he just getting desperate?

DSB wrote:
    Shels were shocking tonight. We're so dependent on Flood its unreal.
    I think given a few more games, Rooney will be decent.

But, my christ, my holy jesus, I have never seen someone on a football pitch who looks less like a footballer than that overweight, non-first touch Alan Reilly.

Where the fúck did Dermo get him from?

It's obvious some of the players think the same, McCulloch refuses to pass it to him, and Leech had a few opportunities to pass it back to him in the midfield, and just wouldn't.

The three times he did actually touch the ball in the first half last night, one was a pass to McCulloch, and it was played behind him, forcing him to turn and run back towards our goal, the other two other times he gave away possession.

If he gets a contract for next season I'll be asking serious questions of Keely.

What a mistake for Alan Keely for the Dundalk goal though. Apart from that, neither team created anything, although there was a fifteen minute period in the second half where Dundalk should have capitalised on decent possession.

I hate Robbie Doyle. He's an arrogant so and so, thinks he's god gift to the eL.

Philly Hughes. If he lost a bit of weight he'd be playing in the Premier Division. What is wrong with him? Has he no ambition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

DesF wrote:
    Philly Hughes. If he lost a bit of weight he'd be playing in the Premier Division. What is wrong with him? Has he no ambition?

Wonder that myself. He's probably naturally a stocky build anyway but he's carrying a bit of condition allright.

Love Robbie Doyle, he truly is Gods Gift to the EL.:p
    Decent enough game and we could have been in trouble ahd the Shels player not missed that easy chance after 10 or so minutes. Thankfully Dundalk scored soon after and played pretty well until the final whistle.

Really should have scored a 2nd to put the game beyond doubt given the possession they had but that would have made it boring for the decent crowd! Anyway we're definitely improving and it looks as if our top scorer and player of the season Shaun Williams is finally back next week for the Athlone game.

Theres life in this promotion race tonight. A draw will probably suit Dundalk best tonight. You enjoy the game Des, seemed to be a couple of busloads of your lads up.

Pighead wrote:
    You enjoy the game Des, seemed to be a couple of busloads of your lads up.
    Not a bad game, I thought going in to the match that we'd need to score first. We didn't, and your lot won.

One bus left Tolka, the rest drove, as far as I know. I got a lift.

I knew Keely's mindset going into this, so I wasn't expecting a win, and in the long run it was better for players like Harte, Haverty, Rooney and the ones on the bench, McGlynn and others to get first team experience.

I will say this though. I have seen nothing of Dundalk to suggest they should be in the Premier Division.

Was sitting in the stand, just in front of the Season Ticket seats, in what must be the most uncomfortable seats in football. Surrounded by Dundalk fans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

We brought 2 buses up, grand aul' crowd but could have been a tad better. There's nothing worse than an artificial pitch - how many slide tackles were there last night? Hardly any, players are too afraid to do so and that's not real football!

Drogs 2-0 up at half-time. They started nervously, pumping a lot of high balls into the box, but the goals should settle them/

Dan Connor is playing his usual game - one great save & one comical spill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Alan reilly relegated shamrock rovers, wont hear a bad word said about him :D

pats 1-0

Started 352 went to 442 gone 60 minutes without conceded a record of sorts.

kdjac

Derry 1 - 2 Cork City

What a result.

Beating Derry twice away is very rare.

In spite of everything thats gone on this season we are still the best team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Yea the league table never lies.
    Oh wait a minute...

League table is taking the piss at the moment.

Cork City are far superior to Shamrock Rovers.

Nope tables never lie, they better than both of us and having played both of you i confident of beating you away but not so at beating them at home.

We didnt concede tonight 1st time in 12 games :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

rah rah denis behan city's greatest goal machine..

Behan for the freedom of the city!

Not when it comes to having a defence. The League Table tells me that Cork have conceded almost twice as many goals as Rovers. You can't concede an average of a goal a game and expect to win much.

By the way, even if you were superior to Shamrock Rovers that would only make you the second best team in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

KdjaCL wrote:
    Nope tables never lie, they better than both of us and having played both of you i confident of beating you away but not so at beating them at home.

We didnt concede tonight 1st time in 12 games :D

kdjac

I wouldnt pay any attention to the league table, it changes every week - Paul Osam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

On current form, City are the best team in the league. The opening 3/4 months of the season killed any chances we had of getting back the league title.

This season is a write off anyway. Poor teams like Drogs and Shams occupying the top 2 tells its own story. Hope its SPA are the team to win it tbh, but ti will be Drogs unfortunatley.

gimmick wrote:
    On current form, City are the best team in the league.
    Blah, blah, blah.

If City had better results at the start of the season they'd be champions.

If Longford had better results ALL season they's be champions.

If SPA had better results in the middle of the season, they'd be champions.

If my aunty had balls she'd be champions.

gimmick wrote:
    The opening 3/4 months of the season killed any chances we had of getting back the league title.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, for you, the League is decided on results from March to November.

There's no point crying over IF this, IF that and IF the other.

Maybe IF ye hadn't sold yer best striker ye'd be up there.

Maybe if your manager could actually attract some half decent players to the club ye'd be up there.
    gimmick wrote:
    This season is a write off anyway. Poor teams like Drogs and Shams occupying the top 2 tells its own story.
    It's all about winning and getting results. No matter how it's done, I'm sure the Drogs fans will be over the moon with a league title, while you can sit in your Tower of Stylish Football and laugh at them, I'm sure they won't give a shiney shíte. They'll have the league trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thats right ya.

gimmick wrote:
    On current form, City are the best team in the league. The opening 3/4 months of the season killed any chances we had of getting back the league title.
    Wrong! Shamrock Rovers are top of the current form table. Shame on you gimmick for embellishing the facts.

We top of the home table, prize?

kdjac

• Advertisement

Was watching the NFL a few weeks back and Charles Barkley, former basketballer who has let himself go since retiring, was in the commentary box as a guest for a little bit. One of the other commentators said that had the losing side not made two crucial mistakes in the first half they might not be behind, to which Barkley interrupted, "If I didn't eat so much I wouldn't be so fat!".

So in other words, if Cork City didn't eat so much, they wouldn't be so fat.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Was watching the NFL a few weeks back and Charles Barkley, former basketballer who has let himself go since retiring, was in the commentary box as a guest for a little bit. One of the other commentators said that had the losing side not made two crucial mistakes in the first half they might not be behind, to which Barkley interrupted, "If I didn't eat so much I wouldn't be so fat!".

So in other words, if Cork City didn't eat so much, they wouldn't be so fat.

Hey, I think I was watching the same game. Washington Redskins v Philadelphia Eagles, right?

PDN wrote:
    Hey, I think I was watching the same game. Washington Redskins v Philadelphia Eagles, right?
    Thats the one.

Bray beating Shamrock Rovers 1-0 after an hour.

Rovers are down to 9 men! :eek:

3-0 now

kdjac

• Advertisement

:cool:

:cool:

2nd?

best manager in the league has to be Rico, only he could keep the grass in Cork at a perfect height.

good times ahead.

kdjac

It's all looking good for the Drogs. :)

PDN wrote:
    It's all looking good for the Drogs. :)

You have cork rovers and pats to play, your new to the EL title run ins, it always by law ends up on the last day. Its a rule that the FAI made that actually works. fact you 8 points clear gonna make your run in a lot funnier.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think the players will have the bottle for the run in. players like stuey byrne, simon webb, ollie cahill, richie baker and james keddy are all experienced players who have been there before.

nice one Bray!!!:D

redzerdrog wrote:
    I think the players will have the bottle for the run in. players like stuey byrne, simon webb, ollie cahill, richie baker and james keddy are all experienced players who have been there before.

nice one Bray!!!:D

Im sure Derry said that last season and Cork the year before and Shels the year before.

If it doesnt go to the last game its a travesty.

kdjac

Probably hands the title to Drogs.

3 wins and should be their's./

Drogs :
    Sligo (h) Rovers (a) Cork (h) Waterford (a) Bray (h) Pats (a)

Rovers :
    Bray (a) Cork (a) Drogs (h) Pats (a) Sligo (h) Derry (a) Waterford (h)

Pats :
    Bohs (h) Sligo (a) Rovers(h) Cork (a) UCD (a) Drogs (h)

Cork :
    Rovers (h) Bray (a) Drogs (a) Pats (h) Sligo (a) Bohs (h) UCD (a)

Cork cant win it but can ensure drogs do or dont.

kdjac

Cork can win it.

But, they wont win it.

Would be interesting going into Drogs vs cork match if we have 2 wins under out belt and Drogs lose to Rovers.

Could make last day very interesting.

We are playing well at the moment in spite of our defence. Even if we won every game i think Drogheda wont drop 9 points.

Barrry Murphy will be out on Friday at the Cross, which is a bonus. I expect us to win anyway. Will be there for one of the few home games this season.

Ill get some value from this season ticket yet:o

Cork can win it.

Gimmick stop with your nonsense....oh ehh Gimmick has corrupted applehunter :eek:

You cant win it not a bloody hope in hell of winning it. You need drogs to lose 4 games whereas we only need them to lose 3. They wont lose them but hopefully will have to beat us to win it, so tbh my hope for the season is beating drogs gets us 2nd.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement