Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car... Clueless!!

Options
  • 27-09-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hoping to buy a car in next wee while and to be honest am totally and utterly clueless on how to judge what's good and what's not. I know I should get a mechanic to look at which ever one I decide on but what should I be looking for to narrow down the decision making. Brand, mileage per year etc etc. Not investing a fortune in it as I'm only learning and am more than likely going traveling in next six months.
    Apologies for vagueness of this post I truly have no experience at this kinda stuff and don't really know anyone who does..

Thanks!

Driving Miss Aura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

People here are fairly decent with their suggestions.

Let them know your budget and if you're after something that looks good, or actually is good.

Won't take long for them to find a car for ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What age and gender are you? (insurance purposes)
    What is your budget?
    Any cars you like in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your only learning to drive and plan on travelling in around 6 months then I suggest you buy a cheap old small car. That way if you bump and scrape it (and you will learning to drive) then it is no big deal as the car will not be worth very much anyway. The car will also have already suffered most of it's depreciation so if it is still in good nick in 6 months time when you plan to sell it, chances are you will sell it close to what you paid for it.

My suggestion would be a mid to late 1990s Ford Fiesta, Ford Ka, Toyota Starlet, Nissan Micra, Opel Corsa or VW Polo. Not sure what your budget is but any of these should not cost any more than €1,500 to €2,000 max.

Have a look at as many cars as you can and when you settle on one or two have a mechanic look them over. Surely someone you know also knows a mechanic as alot of people do not go to main dealers for car maintence. If not then there are a few places offering vehicle inspections such as the AA and http://www.cartell.ie/buyingadvice.jsp.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yes- get a cheap car but forget about the smallies, IMO. They are low cost but also low value. They are also very low specced and difficult to drive, generally, which is not so good for a learner.

This is as small as I'd go if i were on a budget. Exellent quality car and easy to drive.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=778691

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

This is as small as I'd go if i were on a budget. Exellent quality car and easy to drive.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/inde...r&carID=778691

easy to drive?.......its got no power steering!

polos are nice though!
    strong and well built

and now for something constructive I reccomend a yaris, nice car Id get one if I wasnt going to be slagged for getting a girls car

woop wrote:
    easy to drive?.......its got no power steering!

I reccomend a yaris

Oh yes it does:p

Yaris for a 25m trip- sounds like a fate worse than death........ (plus its a girly car:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just get one that looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

How do you tell if a car has power steering from a small ad? (is it just a matter of knowing what makes/models have it?)

Caychadh wrote:
    How do you tell if a car has power steering from a small ad? (is it just a matter of knowing what makes/models have it?)

Yup. might be mentioned in the ad but generally no car for sale today has no power steering. P/S belts on these VWs (golfs too) are notorious for squeaking also and theuy can't have P/S belts if they have no P/S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement