Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singer with (deep) throat issues

• 27-09-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Sorry to dissapoint you, this is a clean thread but thought the heading might get some attention :rolleyes:

Basically I'm a singer in a band and wondering if other singers ever have this problem and know how to prevent it?

Don't mean to be horrible or anything but in general my throat seems to be quite 'phlemy' maybe due to sinuses etc and I find myself clearing it a lot and so on. I drink plenty of water and apparently this helps etc. But still at gigs, as singers will know, if you're a bit 'phlemy' it can be disastrous for staying in key and intonation in general. It always seems to be very bad after a gig or rehearsal so obviously it dislodges or something and is worse for a day or 2 after. I'm sure if I sang more often maybe I wud build some kind of resistance or something but unless I get a record deal thats unlikely to happen! (the record deal is equally unlikely obv..)

Any thoughts singers?
    Thanks in advance
    G

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I have similar issues, so before gigs its plenty of water all day, and I usually take a couple of blests of a ventolin inhaler and hour or so before the gig.
    Doesnt work 100% of the time but it helps.
    I do find that the more often you're singing, the easier it gets so maybe there is something to the resistance theory.

BTW only take ventolin if its prescribed for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

If I'm tense when I sing, I'll strain a little and my throat will get start to get phlegmy. It doesn't happen when I'm singing correctly, so it's a good warning sign that there's something in what I've been doing that's not being sung right.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Don't drink milk before a gig, that will make you more phlegmy.

Advertisement