Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

improving wireless reception?

• 27-09-2007 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum

my broadband terminates in the attic and I have a PC there. I also have a wireless network setup as we live in a 3 story house and like to work on laptops downstairs. The wireless reception in the middle floor is quite good but can be very erratic on the ground floor (generally ranging from very poor to poor and frequent bouts of no service) - just wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the signal strength/releiability to the ground floor? Is there anything I can do to 'bounce' the signal downwards? I'd estimate that the distance is not great - maybe 7/8 metres total...

sorry am not a techie so apologies if I have not supplied all required info!

Thanks in advance,

El S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

There are a few things you could do/try I can think of

A) Get a better antenna for your Wireless Access Point

Pros : *should* help
    Cons : might be wasting time/money effort with borderline stuff

B) Move your Access Point to the middle floor temporarily , check coverage. If you're happy make it permanent.

Pros: Cheap, reliable ( since you are not adding any more gear), better chance of working
    Cons: Small bit of hassle running cable etc.

C) Temporarily move Access Point to ground floor and check coverage there , if happy put it back where it belongs , buy another Access Point for the ground floor and either run network cable or HomePlug to it.

Pros: Will work , should give good coverage out in garden etc.
    Cons: Have to buy more gear , run cable etc

D) Buy an Access Point with better coverage.
    Pros: Could work
    Cons: Snake oil salesmen.

Advertisement