Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower needs replacing

Options
  • 27-09-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a recommendation to replace my Triton T90 shower which is about 10 years old and while it is still going and I clean the shower head about once a month, I think it is time to upgrade it. I have another shower which is downstairs and is fed direct from the tank and has good flow of water.

So what would anybody in the know, recommend? I don't think I want to go the power shower route as you would need first of all, to install a pump and the water in the hot press cyclinder would need to be hot for use.

Would I be right in saying that it is the Electrician I would call in and not the plumber?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

suitseir wrote:

Would I be right in saying that it is the Electrician I would call in and not the plumber?

Yep - that's what I did. But why replace it if it's still going strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Either an electrician or a plumber should be able to do the job as both the wiring and the pipework is in place so it's not a big job to change it.

I agree with crosstownk, why would you change it if it's still going strong??

In my experience, many of the older showers seem to give better service than the new ones. I'd hold back unless there's some other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Why not just get a new T90? They're one of the best showers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is a plumbers job to replace the shower and Not an electrician.

TheTriton t90si is available at about €270. There is an Aqualisa on the market too, but over priced really, and then the Mira elite 2, which is now the best option.

The mira elite 2 has a wider spaced element on it now to prevent limescale build up on it and therefore increase the life of the shower in hardwater areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thank you for your replies.

The reason I think it needs replacing is that the power of water is not as good even though I clean the shower head regularly and it is HIMSELF who says he needs more flow - well, as there is more of him and heeeee less of me, I think he is the complainant in this matter.

Anyhow, I might hold of until it goes eventually. What is usually the life span of electric showers?

• Advertisement

suitseir wrote:
    What is usually the life span of electric showers?

Do you know the expression, How long is a piece of string?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We replaced an old Triton T90 with the new model lately and it's far better than the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

got a triton t-90 to replace an old t-90 and it fitted directly in place of the old one. once you know where to turn of the water to the shower all you need is a few bits and tools to change out the old for the new.if you know somebody in the electrical trade get them to get it cause we sell them in our place and im sure there cheaper than 270 euro.

got a triton t-90 to replace an old t-90 and it fitted directly in place of the old one. once you know where to turn of the water to the shower all you need is a few bits and tools to change out the old for the new.if you know somebody in the electrical trade get them to get it cause we sell them in our place and im sure there cheaper than 270 euro.

The old model box will be different than the new one. Also make sure to check if its a vertical or lateral model you need.

Best Price you are likely to find is €258.

I just checked. ;)

Following on from my post in September. HIMSELF turned on the Tritron electric shower this morning. Sounded fine but no water, so he turned if off after about 30 seconds - went and used the ORDINARY shower (Aqualisa) in the downstairs bathroom, so I had'nt a chance to see if it has packed up altogether or just the showerhead needing cleaning!!!

Now as I said in my first post it is about roughly 9 or 10 years (needed to count again) old so HIMSELF wants to replace it! "Call the plumber and let's get is sorted"! Now I am the DIY person in our household - changing a light bulb is a challenge for HIMSELF and he always maintains, get an expert to do these things!! And I suppose he is right!!

However, just wondering, if I try and get it working again this evening (after work) will it have the effect of blowing fuses etc? You see, I have an oil stove (Waterford Stanley) in the kitchen which is continuously on and if the electrics interfere it will mean once the Stove goes out it has to cool down (about 6 hours) before I can get it going again!As in will it trip all the fuses in the house or just the one the electric shower is connected to! Not that good at DIY am I??
    Sob! I like my comforts! Anyway, sorry about being long winded.

What I am asking is can I try the blooming shower again for a few minutes to see if it is blocked shower head problem(have it descaling in a jug as I type)
    or am I at nothing and just ring the PLUMBER (who installed the heating when the house was built)?

Thanks in anticipation for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

suitseir wrote: »
    Following on from my post in September. HIMSELF turned on the Tritron electric shower this morning. Sounded fine but no water, so he turned if off after about 30 seconds - went and used the ORDINARY shower (Aqualisa) in the downstairs bathroom, so I had'nt a chance to see if it has packed up altogether or just the showerhead needing cleaning!!!

Now as I said in my first post it is about roughly 9 or 10 years (needed to count again) old so HIMSELF wants to replace it! "Call the plumber and let's get is sorted"! Now I am the DIY person in our household - changing a light bulb is a challenge for HIMSELF and he always maintains, get an expert to do these things!! And I suppose he is right!!

However, just wondering, if I try and get it working again this evening (after work) will it have the effect of blowing fuses etc? You see, I have an oil stove (Waterford Stanley) in the kitchen which is continuously on and if the electrics interfere it will mean once the Stove goes out it has to cool down (about 6 hours) before I can get it going again!As in will it trip all the fuses in the house or just the one the electric shower is connected to! Not that good at DIY am I??
    Sob! I like my comforts! Anyway, sorry about being long winded.

What I am asking is can I try the blooming shower again for a few minutes to see if it is blocked shower head problem(have it descaling in a jug as I type)
    or am I at nothing and just ring the PLUMBER (who installed the heating when the house was built)?

Thanks in anticipation for any replies.

As you said, it could be a blocked shower head. Have you tried running the shower without the shower head, just the hose attached?

The fact that you have to de-scale the shower leads me to believe there is a lot of lime in the water. If that's the case, there could be a buildup of lime inside the heater, reducing water flow......
    If it is a limescale problem, this will recur, no matter what shower you buy.

I think about 10 years is a reasonable lifespan for these showers. If you buy the same type of shower, it's very easy to swap them out if you know anyone that's a bit handy. Turn off & drain water supply. Turn off electricity to the shower, usually a seperate circuit breaker in the fusebox/consumer unit.

Then open shower and connections are quite obvious what goes where.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It could be worth considering getting a higher rated Triton. They come in a number of KW sizes, the higher the better.

This time of year the incomming water will be colder, so the flow of water through the shower is less than the summer as you have to heat if through a higher temperature difference.
    You will notice that the temperature setting is different than the summer.

The higher KW will heat more water in the winter, and give a more powerful and warmer shower.

Thanks for the replies.

But do you have to drain the water system? Me not knowing anything about such things, of course!!!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

When you disconnect the current shower, water will just flow out of the feed/inlet pipe so you have to ensure this does not happen.

If the plumber put a stopcock/tap on the shower feed you can turn it off there. If not, you will have to switch off the water at the mains and drain the cold water supply (Assuming the shower has been correctly installed with coldwater feed only)

Thanks. I am not sure if it is on cold water supply. It is a Triton T90si but I know when it is in use you can hear the tank in the attic filling up? Would that mean it is being fed from the hot water supply?

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    When you disconnect the current shower, water will just flow out of the feed/inlet pipe so you have to ensure this does not happen.

If the plumber put a stopcock/tap on the shower feed you can turn it off there. If not, you will have to switch off the water at the mains and drain the cold water supply (Assuming the shower has been correctly installed with coldwater feed only)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The shower should be connected to the tank as it is a pumped shower. Unless there is a valve between the tank and the shower, you will have to drain the tank. Tie up the ballcock and run the cold taps all over the house. When the water stops flowing out the cold taps, that are lower in height than the shower unit, you should be OK.

When finished, just release the ballcock and let the tank fill, watching out for leaks.

:D

Advertisement