Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The evolution of boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karoma wrote:
    Proxies+banned users? ;)

<SNIP>

<_<
    >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

>_>
    <_<

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karoma wrote:
    >_>
    <_<

I know I guess you were right about the <snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Karoma wrote:
    >_>
    <_<
    It would look more like this:

|__|

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Good presentation. I hope the next one mentions the fact that we now have aliens and lizards posting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

*sheds a little tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Beruthiel wrote:
    *sheds a little tear*

*hugs Ruthie*

Great work Cloud, an incredilbe story, and I'm sure it's only just the beginning.

*polishes off CV*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Tazzle

i for one miss the game culture & community :<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Tazzle wrote:
    i for one miss the game culture & community :<

Notces Counter strike in your tag...

That was a good giggle.

Shinji FTW!
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I too miss the gaming culture but I dont think that Boards left it behind, it seemed to disintegrate of its own accord somewhere between CS and Q3 and then spiral down to just voice comms over Xbox...
    In the mean time Boards went the place it was intended to go...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sarky wrote:
    Full-time hooker/coke dealer?

Such a shame us long term members who ain't mods can't avail of this benefit :p

Back on topic though, nice layout there, shows that boards has really succeeded and continues to flourish.I for one am glad to be posting here such a long time, and will continue to do so. A big well done to all those involved and keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

DeVore wrote:
    I too miss the gaming culture but I dont think that Boards left it behind, it seemed to disintegrate of its own accord somewhere between CS and Q3 and then spiral down to just voice comms over Xbox...
    In the mean time Boards went the place it was intended to go...

DeV.

The gaming culture that boards grew up on at the time ('95-'98ish) was a much more narrow grouping though - at the time, PC gaming was the dominant factor, the playstation was only starting to get into its stride, and particularly multiplayer gamers relied either on cybercafe's or the fact that they were in college. LAN gaming wasn't a big deal, the days of multiple PC's in the home still being a short way off. College computer labs were the stronghold of multiplayer gaming and they fostered a totally different culture to the multiplayer environment that exists in the home, not least because there was still a mixture of different gaming cultures (tabletop and magic still had a strong following), and from people of different backgrounds all being mixed in together. Essentially, if you weren't in university, or didn't have the option to sit in a cybercafe until 4am, you probably weren't playing proper multiplayer (4 joypads plugged into one tv doesn't count in this scenario), and you certainly weren't doing it online. Online multiplayer gaming was very much the preserve of the university crowd, and boards certainly reflected that.

At the very start, it was little more than the crew of "guys who thought they might be able to make a living at this quake thing" and their college mates. But even early on, it showed signs of being a powerful bonding force. I can't think of much else that would encourage arrogant Trinity College pricks to associate with University of Limerick heads. Not that the culchies didn't get a good slagging for their trouble anyway mind you. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

OMG!! SlutMonkey57b!! Where you been man? Good to see you posting. :)

I think you are broadly right, but there was a new wave of gamers too, those who had a new fangled technology called ISDN which allowed them to compete against the dread LPBers.

I honestly made good long term friends from online gaming but I think you are also right that the modern "multiplayer experience" doesnt engender that same "intrepid explorers" feeling that many of us had when we were sneaking memory upgrades into the Eircom server room and building clan webpages...

Everything changes though, new territories to explore I guess, but I still view it (nostalgically) as a golden age of internet gaming....

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    OMG!! SlutMonkey57b!! Where you been man? Good to see you posting. :)

Where have I been? I've been at Yore Ma's - taking her from behind.
    I think you are broadly right, but there was a new wave of gamers too, those who had a new fangled technology called ISDN which allowed them to compete against the dread LPBers.

I honestly made good long term friends from online gaming but I think you are also right that the modern "multiplayer experience" doesnt engender that same "intrepid explorers" feeling that many of us had when we were sneaking memory upgrades into the Eircom server room and building clan webpages...

Everything changes though, new territories to explore I guess, but I still view it (nostalgically) as a golden age of internet gaming....

DeV.

The other thing to remember is that modern online gaming is pretty much fractured into two groups; PC gamers are caught up in MMORPG's, which are all huge communities, but are very much long-term time commitments and don't foster the same sort of social dynamic as you got from playing a few rounds of quake, followed by C&C, followed by Warcraft, followed by MUD... and there's a lot more ****ing furries about now that the "normals" are involved.
    Consoles are the home of short-term hop-in gaming now, but they're limited in scope to a couple of very samey games - halo, gears, etc, and being played from home pretty much 100% of the time will never engender the same community spirit that guys who lugged boxes to the first LAN parties, or guys that all descended on a single computer lab or cafe had.

These kids today. They don't know what they missed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dev, there seems to be a bit of a QuakeWorld revival happening, not so much in Ireland but in the rest of Europe which we can now get to with 30 to 50 ping. If you feel nostalgic, download ezquake and join us. I started back on it about 8 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

very interesting to see how this has happened, well done and keep up the good work lads.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Blowfish wrote:
    wow, 208 countries, that I didn't expect.
    Ok, in your case it stands for 8 hours 34 mins :p

own up...

who's here from north Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

These kids today. They don't know what they missed.

Oh for the days of srv2, clan giblets and the crowd, campers, cross-dressers and lpbs with their 36k modems.
    We few, we band of brothers, and brothers pretending to be sisters.............

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

err those with 36k modems were the HPB, the LPB's were the tossers from Clan Trinity.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

thats really cool!

gandalf wrote:
    err those with 36k modems were the HPB, the LPB's were the tossers from Clan Trinity.......

Who you dissin' fool? Ya all better watch out fore I bust a nailgun in yo ass, playa.

Yea, mighty were the ping masters of Clan Trinity, ruling the servers from their underground cavern in the hamlab, sweeping all before them and making up the core of the Irish National Team. The religious fever took strongly upon them, yea, even causing two of their member to continue onward, jobless, seeking that final, perfect frag that would lead to contentment, yea, and a fat paycheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

own up...

who's here from north Korea?

Cue another dual account in the name of Kim Jong Il...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Cue another dual account in the name of Kim Jong Il...
    or mulan...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

At the very start, it was little more than the crew of "guys who thought they might be able to make a living at this quake thing" and their college mates. But even early on, it showed signs of being a powerful bonding force. I can't think of much else that would encourage arrogant Trinity College pricks to associate with University of Limerick heads. Not that the culchies didn't get a good slagging for their trouble anyway mind you. :)

Ah yes the halcyon days of QW in UL, it seemed the cream of quake converged on Trinity and UL (largely for its campus accomodation with network conections!). Such players as Zer0, Rasta, Krusty, Sonic... those were the days, I miss being owned by Osiris on DM4

Cynics would call it a bunch of feckless unhygenic wasters who could skip off lectures without their professers caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

and its sad that yee live on the nostalgia of halcyon days when theres LAN's taking place all over the country!

Viva la Revolucion!

Recently started playing Starcraft again too... weird the coincidences!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

gratz guy's

just as a side note, Boards.ie did more for me to get to know the irish then anything else. good work dudes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Wook wrote:
    gratz guy's

just as a side note, Boards.ie did more for me to get to know the irish then anything else. good work dudes !
    Well as long as you aren't basing what Irish people are like on AH. Generally "yore ma" doesn't really come up in 'normal' conversations...

Advertisement