Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The evolution of boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Blowfish wrote:
    Well as long as you aren't basing what Irish people are like on AH. Generally "yore ma" doesn't really come up in 'normal' conversations...

'Oh'...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the site can only get better. What do you think has caused to grow beyond a gaming community to the level it has today?

does boards.ie have a ma???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote:
    the site can only get better. What do you think has caused to grow beyond a gaming community to the level it has today?

does boards.ie have a ma???
    No. It's a modern board. It has two daddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

/me grabs own daddy.

Who's YOUR daddy Terry?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Terry is the first father, therefore he fathered himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

or mulan...............

Mulan was a Disney creation, Hua Mulan a Chinese heroine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Based on the initial slideshow: Well done lads you have created an information network which is something to be proud of. I for one find this forum a great resource for varied info, in many repects. And it is well moderated as well. Thanks, long may it last.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You're welcome! :)

I think what made it grow was just the right people in the right place at the right time with the right mix of skills. Plus a huge amount of buyin and loyalty from users, mods, cmods, smods etc etc.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Very impressive slideshow, well done guys.

I always figured boards would need a hell of a lot of horsepower behind the scenes, but I didn't realise it would be quite that much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very impressive slideshow, well done guys.

I always figured boards would need a hell of a lot of horsepower behind the scenes, but I didn't realise it would be quite that much!

The new database server they are looking at buying is a beast. God only knows how much something like that would cost.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Quake, in Mayo, on a 28.8 modem. I still played it though! I remember a time I beat Trojan -3 v -4 on DM4 - the connection's ping averaged about 400 :)

And yea, there's talk of a QW revival here too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah, well done lads... Boards has brought me a lot of enjoyment over the past 4 or 5 years anyway!

It is pretty amazing to see it's transformation even from then!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

The new database server they are looking at buying is a beast. God only knows how much something like that would cost.

Does anyone know how much it will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fantastic story. Surely your revolutionary vision of the internet and its impact on society and social interaction come true, Cloud
    Cloud wrote:
    we do plan to employ someone full-time in the short term

In what kind of role?

Looking at slide 27. Don't want to wee on the parade, but just a single computer with 3 hard drives and only 2 elderly CPUs to handle several millions threads per year as the database server? I'd recommend a higher spec machine for a 10 user ERP system tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

unkel wrote:
    Looking at slide 27. Don't want to wee on the parade, but just a single computer with 3 hard drives and only 2 elderly CPUs to handle several millions threads per year as the database server? I'd recommend a higher spec machine for a 10 user ERP system tbh

its a web forum... not an ERP system ;)

Thats a totally different kettle of fish!

unkel wrote:

In what kind of role?

sexy secretary of course!
    secretary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

2 minutes later she dropped her jocks and photocopied her ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You're wife is always gameball, 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

unkel wrote:
    Fantastic story. Surely your revolutionary vision of the internet and its impact on society and social interaction come true, Cloud

In what kind of role?

Hi unkel - you make it sound like I put forward or had such a revolutionary vision for the Internet and society - I wish I could say it was true, but I never did... We just wanted to make a self-sustaining and useful site for Irish community discussions.

The role would be as a site developer and programmer.

Yes, it's feeling the strain especially now with five web nodes pulling from it, hence our new purchase (coming soon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

unkel wrote:

In fairness, its performed just fine (with search off) until quite recently, which is why we're upgrading it now.

We didn't have any money for a long time, so getting the best performance via tweaking and tuning made sense. We've learned a lot about tweaking MySQL, and we've never been in the business (or had the luxury) of being able to throw hardware at a problem in the place of using what resources we have as best we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Cloud wrote:
    The role would be as a site developer and programmer.

Does this mean we'll have to listen to someone other than regi apologize for breaking it?

It just won't be the same man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

unkel wrote:

Absolutely. I remember the first time I was ever exposed to it. I walked into the hamlab, gratefully hugging the blast of geothermal heat, to find bunny sitting at his usual far wall spot.
    "What ho dude."
    "Alright hairs"
    "Whatcha doing?"
    "Reading the cloud boards, you should try it dude, you'd love it. You get to sit around taking the piss out of people and arguing about ****."
    "Like I want to hear what a bunch of quake nerds are gabbing about."
    At which point I wandered off to the side to start another marathon Valhalla MUD session.

A fascinating insight, I think you'll agree, into board's first tentative steps to embrace the masses outside quake culture.

Stand by for my next update, in which Ghash mouths off a lot, bunny sits quietly and develops a quake twitch, and Sarvesh the ultranerd gets exposed as not only not the trinity student who always forgets his ID we think he is, but an ex-DIT student to boot. Shocking stuff.

At the other end of college, hot arts chicks were fuc.king brainless BESS ****ers and taking drugs. But did THEY have a Deshpande? Did they bollocks!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It means we might finally be able to give an answer other then "sorry, the software doesnt support that option". Also it means that Social.ie will get some tender loving care and extra coding.

We didnt really have a plan to alter the social favric of Irish Society. :)
    Initially Cloud wanted to get everyone off email and onto the web to manage the volumes of mail on the quake mailing list. Then later I wanted to grow a small community into something self sustaining (we were in danger of being destroyed because we were reliant on the charity of others, specifically Eircom and NUIG for machines/bandwidth etc). That set off a self-reinforcing chain-reaction of growth onto which we have hung on tight and ridden the wave to this point.

We left the remains of our plan back somewhere in 2003 so we are through the looking glass here, and into unchartered territory.

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeVore wrote:
    It means we might finally be able to give an answer other then "sorry, the software doesnt support that option". Also it means that Social.ie will get some tender loving care and extra coding.

We didnt really have a plan to alter the social favric of Irish Society. :)
    Initially Cloud wanted to get everyone off email and onto the web to manage the volumes of mail on the quake mailing list. Then later I wanted to grow a small community into something self sustaining (we were in danger of being destroyed because we were reliant on the charity of others, specifically Eircom and NUIG for machines/bandwidth etc). That set off a self-reinforcing chain-reaction of growth onto which we have hung on tight and ridden the wave to this point.

We left the remains of our plan back somewhere in 2003 so we are through the looking glass here, and into unchartered territory.

DeV.

Has this anything to do with the ad regi has over in the programming forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, that's a digiweb position :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

search?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Pretty sure the conversation went exactly like that :-)

Seriously tho dave, how many people do you think are actually going to get all of those references?
    Absolutely. I remember the first time I was ever exposed to it. I walked into the hamlab, gratefully hugging the blast of geothermal heat, to find bunny sitting at his usual far wall spot.
    "What ho dude."
    "Alright hairs"
    "Whatcha doing?"
    "Reading the cloud boards, you should try it dude, you'd love it. You get to sit around taking the piss out of people and arguing about ****."
    "Like I want to hear what a bunch of quake nerds are gabbing about."
    At which point I wandered off to the side to start another marathon Valhalla MUD session.

A fascinating insight, I think you'll agree, into board's first tentative steps to embrace the masses outside quake culture.

Stand by for my next update, in which Ghash mouths off a lot, bunny sits quietly and develops a quake twitch, and Sarvesh the ultranerd gets exposed as not only not the trinity student who always forgets his ID we think he is, but an ex-DIT student to boot. Shocking stuff.

At the other end of college, hot arts chicks were fuc.king brainless BESS ****ers and taking drugs. But did THEY have a Deshpande? Did they bollocks!

regi wrote:
    Seriously tho dave, how many people do you think are actually going to get all of those references?

Well the "brainless BESS ****ers" bit is probably understood by most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Lol nostalgia!

And no mention of bubbles :)

Advertisement