Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The evolution of boards.ie

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

regi wrote:
    Pretty sure the conversation went exactly like that :-)

Seriously tho dave, how many people do you think are actually going to get all of those references?

Nobody!
    I exist to amuse myself. The external universe is one which acts as wooden props with which I may or may not choose to interact. In the above example, I use obscure individualistic references to illustrate the closed, small world boards originally inhabited, thereby highlighting the sheer unlikelyhood that anyone walking in on that moment would have thought that it would have developed into the monsterous behemoth it is today. Thus, I expose the reader not only a clearer and more useful portrait of the grim beginnings of boards, allowing them the taste the sheer basis of creation, while at the same time allowing them to marvel in my own sparkling prose.

In other news, I hear your mother takes it up the jacksy.

And thus, in the space of three posts, I illustrate boards' inauspicious beginnings, and its fateful end. Voila, thank you, I am done, I will be in my trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

*applauds* Well done Cloud (and all your little helper monkeys) - it's a great thing you've given us here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

fozzle wrote:
    *applauds* Well done Cloud (and all your little helper monkeys) - it's a great thing you've given us here!
    well said particulary the helper monkeys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

History was never my subject, and as I have not read the history of Boards.ie.The fact that I continue to post and start new threads on it must mean it is serving a fundamental human need, therefore it's future is assured.

Paddy20.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kharn wrote:
    Quake, in Mayo, on a 28.8 modem. I still played it though! I remember a time I beat Trojan -3 v -4 on DM4 - the connection's ping averaged about 400 :) And yea, there's talk of a QW revival here too...
    Yeah, yeah, all you need to do is know the map and keep moving and shooting. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

regi wrote:
    we've never been in the business (or had the luxury) of being able to throw hardware at a problem in the place of using what resources we have as best we can.

Why don't you guys facilitate contributions (maybe you already have??) I'm sure people would chip in, or get their companies to do so, lick a--ing aside I'd be glad to give something back over and above the subscription, as I have gotten a lot out of boards over the years (not WRT money). Even the 5 or 10 year subscription that was mentioned here before. If it's growing and more people are enjoying the site , I can see how people would chip in to keep things ticking over, as I'm sure that that is all it would be used for, improvement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm the same as Stoner, I get alot out of here (even if its just abuse) ... I'd almost get a dual account just to pay another sub.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe a contribution button where you can pay a once off contribution of whatever you like. You never know boards could get a nice christmas present from all the people here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Lickarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

6th wants to know why Pighead doesn't subscribe ... I heard a certain lady likes the look of a few pink stars ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pighead wrote:
    Lickarse.

No thanks Pighead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Certain people might expect something in return if they helped out or made a bigger donation (aside from the subscription). I think one of the admins mentioned this a while back but not sure, so don't quote me on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

No thanks Pighead.
    It was a statement, not a question, hence the lack of a question mark.

As to why Pighead doesn't subscribe. Its complicated. Being a scabby cnut is one of the main reasons though.

Ruu wrote:
    Certain people might expect something in return if they helped out or made a bigger donation (aside from the subscription). I think one of the admins mentioned this a while back but not sure, so don't quote me on it. :)

I just did. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

AC
    Did I mention that you were a nerdy loser?

Beruthiel wrote:
    AC
    Did I mention that you were a nerdy loser?

Damn you and your smod powers.

*shakes fist*

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I actually recognise everything you talk about, including the Deshpande reference. Remember the sequence to get from Udgard square to the fishermen? Jesus such a long time ago.

Oh and, I don't even recognise your nick! Who were you!?
    I'm "Ghash's" brother.

Absolutely. I remember the first time I was ever exposed to it. I walked into the hamlab, gratefully hugging the blast of geothermal heat, to find bunny sitting at his usual far wall spot.
    "What ho dude."
    "Alright hairs"
    "Whatcha doing?"
    "Reading the cloud boards, you should try it dude, you'd love it. You get to sit around taking the piss out of people and arguing about ****."
    "Like I want to hear what a bunch of quake nerds are gabbing about."
    At which point I wandered off to the side to start another marathon Valhalla MUD session.

A fascinating insight, I think you'll agree, into board's first tentative steps to embrace the masses outside quake culture.

Stand by for my next update, in which Ghash mouths off a lot, bunny sits quietly and develops a quake twitch, and Sarvesh the ultranerd gets exposed as not only not the trinity student who always forgets his ID we think he is, but an ex-DIT student to boot. Shocking stuff.

At the other end of college, hot arts chicks were fuc.king brainless BESS ****ers and taking drugs. But did THEY have a Deshpande? Did they bollocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Slaanesh wrote:
    I actually recognise everything you talk about, including the Deshpande reference. Remember the sequence to get from Udgard square to the fishermen? Jesus such a long time ago.
    "Alright hairs"
    Oh and, I don't even recognise your nick! Who were you!?
    I'm "Ghash's" brother.

The hint is in the post.
    Your identity is known to the authorities already.
    Beware.
    The night cometh.

Advertisement