Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Car Salesmen - An experience

Options
  • 27-09-2007 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Used car salesmen and car dealers often get a bad rep, and it is often deserved.

But there are expectations. Here is my latest experience.

Bought an old cheap Merc from a non-Merc dealer. Got a 3 months engine / gearbox/ diff warranty with it. Asked the dealer to fix a window problem. He did and also fixed a door strap (€30 for part plus say ½ hour labour) for free – he didn’t have to and could have looked for payment - he woudnt have got it tho :D

Then car had an issue with head gasket. He said he would take care of it but his mechanic cant do it for a while. He said he would pay my mechanic to do it. He honoured this also.

So the moral here is that there are good guys out there.
    The dealer in question is Ray Carter from Carter Quigley.

I have never dealt with them before, and have no relationship to them whatsoever. I will deal again with this dealer.

I have owned about 10 cars in the last 10 years BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nice to hear. TBH, there are more good ones than bad ones, but like most things, it's the bad ones that get the whole industry tarred with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

heywood100 wrote:
    But there are expectations.

Do you mean 'exceptions' ?

Nice to hear you were well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

it's nice to hear the good stories.

I bought an 8 yr old A4 from and Audi dealer a couple of years ago and they only fixed about half of the million things that went wrong in the first week before they started resisting. I paid enough for it and they wanted me to spec it for them to fix- I wasn't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dailigh

Good to hear about positive experiences for a change

Found their website:

http://www.carzone.ie/dealers/index.cfm?fuseaction=Garage&BusinessID=1832

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've heard nothing but bad stories about 'main' dealers. Crowd in particular with dealerships in <X> and <Y> are absolute robbers.

MODEDIT
    please try aand keep boards out of legal troubel, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

There a many "good" dealers out there that sticks to their word. The problem is with the "bad" ones that keeps dragging the entire boat down.

Another issue is that not many buyers tells the good experience they had as yourself, while if the smallest thing goes wrong, everyone is blogging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm just back from visiting a BMW and a Lexus dealer today and I must say I found it a pleasant experience.

Both were very pleasant and professional,knew their cars and took plenty of time to go through stuff with me.
    At no time did I feel under obligation,there was no pressure to do a 'deal' and absolutely no sales bulls**t from either.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A certain poster here will love to hear this, but an established BMW dealer in Cork has proven excellent and helpful, time and time again-in stark contrast to a certain dealer, which holds the franchise for a competing German luxury marque, on the other side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Got to agree I bought an Audi from Carter himself and he was a top bloke. Some slight issues with the car but he fixed them all up at no cost to me.

I'll be buying from him again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Had a miserable experience recently in joe duffy in finglas. Went in to look at their rx8s-they have 6 apparently. Called earlier to get directions and when we arrived the receptionist said she didn't know where it was and the guys were all busy but one would be with us shortly, offered a coffee and said to look around. Grand but half hour later we were still waiting so went outside to look for the cars ourselves in their lot. Another 10-15 mins looking couldn't find it none amongst the used mazdas they had, nobody was able to talk to us or tell us where it was despite they had 6 and we'd rang before so left and found one somewhere else. Turned out they've opened up a mazda dealership and all the rx8s were there-but nobody was able to tell us that on the phone or in person:confused:

Its great to hear of people getting it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A certain poster here will love to hear this, but an established BMW dealer in Cork has proven excellent and helpful

Do you mean me? Cause if you do, there's a strong possibility I'm not working where you think I'm working anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

ned78 wrote: »
    Do you mean me? Cause if you do, there's a strong possibility I'm not working where you think I'm working anymore :D

Ah, but were you working there last year when this was posted? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Correct! Holy thread ressurection Batman - I didn't see the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Dailigh wrote: »

Found their website:

Old thread I know, but strange for a person to sign up for a boards.ie just to post a link to above garages website :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

crosstownk wrote: »
    Nice to hear. TBH, there are more good ones than bad ones, but like most things, it's the bad ones that get the whole industry tarred with the same brush.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

heywood100 wrote: »
    Used car salesmen and car dealers often get a bad rep, and it is often deserved.

But there are expectations. Here is my latest experience.

Bought an old cheap Merc from a non-Merc dealer. Got a 3 months engine / gearbox/ diff warranty with it. Asked the dealer to fix a window problem. He did and also fixed a door strap (€30 for part plus say ½ hour labour) for free – he didn’t have to and could have looked for payment - he woudnt have got it tho :D

Then car had an issue with head gasket. He said he would take care of it but his mechanic cant do it for a while. He said he would pay my mechanic to do it. He honoured this also.

So the moral here is that there are good guys out there.
    The dealer in question is Ray Carter from Carter Quigley.

I have never dealt with them before, and have no relationship to them whatsoever. I will deal again with this dealer.

I have owned about 10 cars in the last 10 years BTW.

How old is the Merc has a matter of interest ? I thought if a car is a certain age or below a certain price you get no warranty .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Also had a good experience with Carter Quigley. Got new tyres, timing belt, wipers, mats & 1 year warranty! There have been a few issues with the car & all fixed without question. A mate also got a good deal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Salesmen are all the same. If there is money in it for them then they will go for it and give you the royal treatment as long as they can keep their margin above a certain level.

I sold something the other day for 3500(ex demo) instead of the listed 8900 and she got the same warranty and training a new machine would have cost.(not a car). I covered the same commission because it was a special clearout so I was happy to give her everything a new customer would have received.

Car dealerships will be doing the same because they have a lot of stock. They will lower the prices and most will likely offer the same commissions to its sales men in order to encourage upselling of the 2nd/3rd hand stock.

So you will feel like they are really looking after you on an older vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

Dailigh wrote: »

Found their website:

actually this is their website:
    www.carterquigleycarsales.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

louie wrote: »
    There a many "good" dealers out there that sticks to their word. The problem is with the "bad" ones that keeps dragging the entire boat down.

Another issue is that not many buyers tells the good experience they had as yourself, while if the smallest thing goes wrong, everyone is blogging about it.

I second that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement