Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to promote a company in a college as an employer?

• 27-09-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I am currently looking for ways to promote a large sized company as main employer for a college - post graduate and graduate

The company is callcentre, so no qualifications or previous experience is required. So far all I have come up with is:
    • Put up some posters around college promoting the company
    • Go to the "Graduate Careers Fair" in the RDS in October and promote the company there
    • Hand out free stationary with the company logo on it
    • Sponsor the college's sports teams by paying for the company logo to be put on the jerseys of the football and GAA teams
    • Sponsor one or two events during RAG week and get the company logo shown
    I cant really think of much else. Can anyone give me anymore ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What are your goals - what kind of numbers are you trying to achieve?

I wouldn't bother with any of those, they all sound far too expensive. I'd be approaching this with an A4 flyer and a photocopier. Pay a couple of students to put them in the canteen a couple of days in a row, and talk to the careers counsellor and people in the SU.

That said, I'd recommend most people against working in a call centre unless it's for the 4 months between years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Trojan wrote:
    What are your goals - what kind of numbers are you trying to achieve?

I wouldn't bother with any of those, they all sound far too expensive. I'd be approaching this with an A4 flyer and a photocopier. Pay a couple of students to put them in the canteen a couple of days in a row, and talk to the careers counsellor and people in the SU.

That said, I'd recommend most people against working in a call centre unless it's for the 4 months between years.

Numbers we want to acheive - as many as possible

Trust me this callcentre is on that students would want to work in - at least 60% of our staff, probably more, are all students so we treat them well - some examples - a free chocolate fountain in the canteen sometimes, a hired ice cream truck for all staff, free bbqs, competitions, free stuff.

Money is definitely not an issue - at all - it really doesnt matter how much something costs. And yes I wouldnt reccomend people to work in a callcentre at all, but having said that, I cant try and promote the place and then say, oh yea, I would advise you to work here tho...wudnt really work too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Hi guys I am currently looking for ways to promote a large sized company as main employer for a college - post graduate and graduate

The company is callcentre, so no qualifications or previous experience is required.

It seems unusual that your "large" company needs to come to boards.ie to get marketing ideas. How did they do it last year, or the year before?

If no qualifications or previous experience is needed, why are you targeting "graduate & post graduates"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

jawlie wrote:
    It seems unusual that your "large" company needs to come to boards.ie to get marketing ideas. How did they do it last year, or the year before?

If no qualifications or previous experience is needed, why are you targeting "graduate & post graduates"?

I agree with this ...

If money is no object .. why not hire a marketing person to sort this out for you ?

Graduates I'll assume are skilled and I would also assume they won't stay with a call center long so you're targeting the wrong market. You want an unskilled workforce ... probably straight out of school

Edit: Sounds more like a homework assignment (sorry if thats not the case)

forbairt wrote:
    I agree with this ...

If money is no object .. why not hire a marketing person to sort this out for you ?

Graduates I'll assume are skilled and I would also assume they won't stay with a call center long so you're targeting the wrong market. You want an unskilled workforce ... probably straight out of school

Edit: Sounds more like a homework assignment (sorry if thats not the case)

thanks for all the great ideas!

we are not looking for graduates - we are looking for students in college, starting college, half way through college, so they will work part time in the company. If we have over 60% of the work force at the moment as students, I really dont see what the problem is

I am infact going for a job as a Campus Brand Manager (its a new role, so there has been nobody do it before) - basically the job is to promote our company as a major employer in the college - we want college students to work for us - im not gonna get into an arguement as to why thanks. All i want is some ideas as to some innovative ways to promote a company in a college so I can go into my interview with some interesting ideas

So, now you have more information, the job I will be going for is pretty much a marketing person for the company in college - no experience or anything is needed for the job, but one part of it is that you are expected to have some innovative and fresh ideas of how to promote the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

ah fair enough :) and good luck with the job ...

One possibility would be to have a number of different current employees ... and show their time shifts ... and then have a question ... which time suits you ?

just an idea for a poster in the uni

forbairt wrote:
    ah fair enough :) and good luck with the job ...

One possibility would be to have a number of different current employees ... and show their time shifts ... and then have a question ... which time suits you ?

just an idea for a poster in the uni

yea cool that sounds good actually :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I understand why you hire students, they're cheap, quick learning and the normally extreme staff turnover of call centres won't be as obvious and demoralising since it's part-timers coming and going.

You could always try something like "A call centre that doesn't treat their staff like !". (You fill in the blank).

Real suggestions: posters with students with better stuff than their counterparts, say showing off their 42" HDD LCD with "they work in XYZ" and maybe others with a crappy tv with "they don't". Rinse and repeat for other materialist ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donalcarmody

sorry for been so late with this but its a really good way to get your name up, is simple screen savers go into the college get sum1s username ans password and ur fling

sorry for been so late with this but its a really good way to get your name up, is simple screen savers go into the college get sum1s username ans password and ur fling

yea lol...not the most legal way, but a good idea i suppose... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement