Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What type of payment when selling car?

Options
  • 27-09-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Think I may have a buyer for my car tomorrow who wants to take it there and then if they are happy. Whats the safest form of payment? Cash obviously but what about bankers draft? Any other form of payment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

daveg wrote:
    Think I may have a buyer for my car tomorrow who wants to take it there and then if they are happy. Whats the safest form of payment? Cash obviously but what about bankers draft? Any other form of payment?

Cash all the way. With so many scams around these days, even drafts can be dodgy sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would only go with a draft if it's made out from your bank and you can go to the branch with it prior to the handover to verify. Other solution would be to get him to transfer money to your bank account if he banks with the same company.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Cash only.

If they want to use anything else (cheque/draft) then you should tell them they will have to wait until the money clears until they have your car.

Do NOT be fooled into thinking that the person you are selling to is "genuine" or "seemed fine", etc. The best scammers all seem "genuine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

crosstownk wrote:
    even drafts can be dodgy sometimes.

I agree, only accept draft if you go straight to bank to lodge it (before handing over motor of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you get a draft during business hours, can you not ring the originating bank with it's number and have them confirm it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Mind you...I can't see a problem accepting a personal cheque if the buyer is a Boards member!!!

We are all sound as a pound on here :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

eoin_s wrote:
    If you get a draft during business hours, can you not ring the originating bank with it's number and have them confirm it?

That's what I did last time out. Got the draft no. on phone from the seller. Called issuing bank. Confirmed amount and payee (me) :D

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks all. Cah only or I'll ring the bank in the case of a draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

wasnt there a load of bank drafts stolen from a bank recently u in dublin?? be careful there too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Typhoon. wrote:
    wasnt there a load of bank drafts stolen from a bank recently u in dublin?? be careful there too
    not again :(

anyone remember the saga of Dawntrader and the bouncy castle ?

Genuine drafts, but the bank would not honour them as they had been stolen.,
    moral - drafts are only good during banking hours and even then ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Outside of bank opening hours, the only safe method is bank transfer (obviously via the interwebby thing). Everything else can be forged, including cash

It's probably more likely the seller gets paid by counterfeit cash than with a forged bank draft

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Counterfeit €50 on the go at the moment. Handle and check every note if taking cash. Or else get the buyer to bring €100 bills (check them too!).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cash is pretty much king. I went to Aberdeen to collect a car 2 weeks ago, and the guy would only accept cash, a mate of his had been scammed with a 50k Sterling bank draft against a Cayenne. Not nice at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ned78 wrote:
    Cash is pretty much king.
    Except when you've got £17,000 and the seller is waiting with a shotgun. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Except when you've got £17,000 and the seller is waiting with a shotgun. :(
    That's not a shotgun.......this is a shotgun! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement