Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Phone Line

Options
  • 27-09-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey,

I've recently started renting a house in Dublin and am looking to get BB. Unfortunately, having investigated all my options (including having IBB out to try and install a fixed antenna) it appears my only option is to get a phone line installed. Could anybody give me any advise on this? Is it expensive to do this? Does it take long? Is there any gaurentee that if I get BT out to install a phone line that it will be able to carry BB? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're getting a line installed then get eircom to do it. If you go with one of the other companies they will need to get eircom to do the work, which may cost more and take longer. eircom will be in no rush to see business go the other way.

No company will guarantee broadband before the line is in and active. If they do, they're lying.

A new line costs €127 I think. If the line is already in place, but inactive, then it costs about €25 to activate it.

Ring eircom, give them your address, and they'll tell you the costs involved. It can normally take about a month, but could in some cases take a lot longer. I've heard stories of people waiting up to a year for a phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dmulla

jor el wrote:
    If you're getting a line installed then get eircom to do it. If you go with one of the other companies they will need to get eircom to do the work, which may cost more and take longer. eircom will be in no rush to see business go the other way.

No company will guarantee broadband before the line is in and active. If they do, they're lying.

A new line costs €127 I think. If the line is already in place, but inactive, then it costs about €25 to activate it.

Ring eircom, give them your address, and they'll tell you the costs involved. It can normally take about a month, but could in some cases take a lot longer. I've heard stories of people waiting up to a year for a phone line.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll give them a call!

Advertisement