Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are mens clothes so crap?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BrynW wrote:
    Holy crap....I would only get 2 t-shirts for that!!!

Stick an extra yoyo on that and I would get yore ma ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

deswalsh wrote:
    Fitted jumpers? Perhaps not for me so - the old ned kelly is beginning ito make an appearance nowadays!!

Still waiting to find out what preppy is. It makes me think of the guy Lisa Simpson marries when she is shown her future - kinda rich collee dude - cravats, lambswool jumpers in pastel colouts, soft leather shoes, college scarf. Is that it?

EDIT: I feel I've gotten in over my head here. The only thing I know about fashion is that Caroline morahan from off the rails is **** hot!

you got preppy to a tee
    I hated that British guy
    cardigans are also very in for guys, but they really really shouldn't be :eek:
    just buy something black and you're set for life
    plain t-shirts work with almost everything
    maybe layered over a shirt? or is that too casual for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Stick an extra yoyo on that and I would get yore ma ;)
    There is always one......go sit in the corner punk :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

deswalsh wrote:
    Is it just me, or has anybody noticed that buying clothes is getting bloody harder!
    Judging by some time spent shopping today, it would appear that men are expected to dress like gay 20-somethings, teenage thugs or grandads.

The clothes are so pink and androgynous, I had to go back out of a few shops just to check that they were indeed 'gents' clothes shops. I'm convinced many of the clothes belonged in the ladies section and just got misfiled. Zara was by far the worst offender for this, they even have a long long wollen jumper with a fake fur trim on the collar.

Pink shirts with puffy sleeves, bolero style tweed jackets, man-bags and dayglo pink Y-fronts (I sh1t you not!) seem to be the order of the day.

I particularly wanted to get some jumpers/tops. 99% of what I saw were hoodies with horizontal stripes.
    After that the options consisted mainly of they type of jumpers you'd see in your local golf club on veterans night, or the type of v-neck jumper that scangers like to wear with no shirt underneath.

After several hours I came home with, yes you guessed it, a stripy hoody!

you obviously need advise in style and what to wear, check this website for some really cool mens designer clothing.

http://www.bbclothing.co.uk/

And NEVER get a bird to "dress you" like some blokes do,the results are more often than not shocking.:eek:

deswalsh wrote:
    geek chic? Whats that then?

gayness...avoid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Current mens fashion sucks. i'm sick of skinny jeans, cardigans and stripy jumpers.

going into Next, river island, topman etc can be a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

jonny68 wrote:
    And NEVER get a bird to "dress you" like some blokes do,the results are more often than not shocking.:eek:

I work in a "clothing shop" and really cant stress this enough. Nothing worse than a bloke comin in with his wife/girlfriend/mother(worst of all). Just dont do it. You are thirty years of age - why cant you dress yourself and know your OWN shoe size you utter pleb!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I've noticed the complete dearth of decent men's clothes alright in recent years - everything is skinny and tightfitting, and uber-gay. If you want regular decent teeshirts that don't cling and display every vein under your skin, surf shops are the best bet - tees that allow for a little breathing space, and a lot with either small unobtrusive logos or small tags so you're not branded to within an inch of your life, same with hoodies, lots of decent size plain hoodies there, and often decent jeans too.
    Why does nowhere seem to do normal plain black/white shirts anymore either? Everything is either shiny or glittery or stripy or "distressed" with idiotic college logos on them. Where does the average Irish man get his "normal daywear" clobber from anymore without looking like they're hitting the clubs?

I've also noticed in the past few years sizing seems to be getting tighter and smaller - some of my mates would not be exactly what you'd call big strapping lads but find themselves squeezing into xxl shirts and teeshirts and still looking like they borrowed a bellytop from their 9 year old niece who's going through a pink barbie phase. I'm female BTW, just I notice this a lot when I go clothes-shopping with my hubby or male friends and they lose the head after hitting the 10th shop with no luck finding anything suitable, and I feel your pain, OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Actual size M still fits me okay. You do get a lot of shops though where the overall size of the gartment is large enough, ie: you have space in parts, but it tapers in weird ways so any bit of flab you might have is shown to the world. Most clothes in River Island and the like makes me look like I have a potbelly, but if I go for size L, then they're too long/baggy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

eurgh, are mens clothes shops still selling those stupid tops with bits of random material badly stiched onto the outside? (often with daft slogans)
    How about the sweatshirts that have the neck of a tshirt sewn into it?!
    Man, I rofl'ed my way out of so many clothes shops last time I went looking... every damn shop seemed to have the same rediculous-looking shít.

Shopping for runners also made my brain hurt... everything was either horrible skang-wear, not in X Y Z size, or made for attention-whores.
    I went into one shop that had three whole walls (!) of white trainers... which all looked like the same nike-air style shíte I'm not interested in.
    After hours of looking I finally found a nice little place in Crown Alley whos name escapes me right now.

I totally share your frustration OP... it's like we're being told to wear this crap by virtue of not having an alternative... I don't care what some asshat buyer thinks is "in" this season, if I find it obnoxious I'm not wearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

I totally share your frustration OP... it's like we're being told to wear this crap by virtue of not having an alternative... I don't care what some asshat buyer thinks is "in" this season, if I find it obnoxious I'm not wearing it.
    here here!!
    I agree 100%...thank god i'm not alone in this.
    check out the clothes on this dude...can you believe anyone actually wears this crap?!!

lifestyle_01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

****ing stripy **** everywhere and on everyone.. shocking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ferdi wrote:
    here here!!
    check out the clothes on this dude...can you believe anyone actually wears this crap?!!

lifestyle_01.jpg

The guy looks like he's been trying on his grandmother's clothes...

Why can't you get anything that actually looks cool in shops these days?

ferdi wrote:

lifestyle_01.jpg
    Wtf? Are those sequins?!! :eek: :confused::D
    I think that guy has been watching those late-night infomercials and bought himself one of those sequin guns... not wanting to destroy his own clothes, he dug through grandmas wardrobe for something even she doesn't wear any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

The best part? that cardigan costs £45stg!!!!!

ferdi wrote:
    The best part? that cardigan costs £45stg!!!!!
    Ah, the illusion of quality. :|
    It can't possibly be a cheap, tacky garment if I have to pay through the nose for it! :eek:
    Oooh, it's so exclusive... I'm buying fashion. :rolleyes: :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ferdi wrote:
    here here!!

That's a bloke - you sure about that ferdi?!!

Advertisement