Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Descriptions

Options
  • 27-09-2007 5:32pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

Not really sure if this is feedback worthy or not, but is it just that I never noticed it til now, or have the forum descriptions just now only been added to the top of the page?

I'm not sure I like it really as it is a bit pointless having it there, and only clutters things up even more, especially in forums where there are quite a number of stickys.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Phew! It's not just me...

I say give it a chance and maybe update the descriptions to help posters put content where it belongs.

They've been on boards.us and others for awhile. I think it'd be handy for noobies who stray into a random forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

5starpool wrote:
    Not really sure if this is feedback worthy or not, but is it just that I never noticed it til now, or have the forum descriptions just now only been added to the top of the page?

I'm not sure I like it really as it is a bit pointless having it there, and only clutters things up even more, especially in forums where there are quite a number of stickys.

I'm pretty sure it's new as I've never noticed it before either. I agree that it clutters up the page a bit but I think it would be handy when someone emails a link to a thread to someone especially someone that is not a regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

They're on boards.org.uk too. I agree with Myth, they are a useful enough function and do cut down on questions like "What's the 'Test' forum for?" :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Any option to turn it off...?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They *can* be useful, but some are not so helpful. The Poker Forum's description is "Card Game". Genius :)

Most forums are self explanatory anyways to be honest if you have any bit of intelligence, and if you don't then you shouldn't be on the interweb in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Personally I think they are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't see any problem with it, good idea. Has been on some of the other boards group forums for a while as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Personally I don't even think they're worth discussing. I noticed them, then I got used to them. No other difference was made to my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I don't like them. Aesthetically they don't look great and their functionality is limited - yes, it's handy the first time you click in to a forum (especially a new one) but it's unnecessary for the banner to still be there after you've spent a few minutes in the forum.

In clearly-defined forums like TCD and Celeb/Showbiz for example, they seem especially pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Stargal wrote:
    I don't like them. Aesthetically they don't look great and their functionality is limited - yes, it's handy the first time you click in to a forum (especially a new one) but it's unnecessary for the banner to still be there after you've spent a few minutes in the forum.

In clearly-defined forums like TCD and Celeb/Showbiz for example, they seem especially pointless.
    Sure give it time you'll hardly notice they are there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The one for BGRH says
    When things start to go pear shaped...

This is clearly inaccurate as a Brother is far more likely to be watermelon shaped. Pear shaped? Pfft, amateurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I would've thought it was for people who stray upon a thread on boards.ie through google. I have no problem with it but if others do, maybe it could be hidden when someone logs in and just be visible for unregistered members (assuming of course that that is the reason for it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I also think they're a good idea.

5starpool wrote:
    They *can* be useful, but some are not so helpful. The Poker Forum's description is "Card Game". Genius :)

Forum created in a hurry I'd say. PM Vex or Cloud to have it changed to the description you'd like. There maybe other Admin can do it but I know they definitely can :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I like them and they will be useful for newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Tell them I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Beruthiel wrote:
    I like them and they will be useful for newbies.
    They won't be helpful for the AH mods.

All things non work related is wide open to misinterpretation.

Someone will move a thread and we will then get some stick over it.

It has happened before. Once by me.

At the end of the day though, I don't really care.
    Some of them are funny too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Tell them I hate them.
    Tell them yourself, there heading in your direction right now !!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Poker is a card game?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Terry wrote:
    They won't be helpful for the AH mods.

All things non work related is wide open to misinterpretation.

+1

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    +1
    The forum descriptions are easily changed in the AdminCP so the AH description can easily be changed to something like "IQ < 25? This forum is for you!" :D

/That was my attempt at a joke but you get the idea, the description can be changed, so keeping the descriptions is fine :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

"IQ < 25? This forum is for you!"

Make it so Cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't really care. But I firmly believe that any argument or reasoning along the lines of:

"It's been on Boards.us // Boards.co.uk for a while ya know"

should be instantly thrown out. It doesn't matter what is on other forums. This one is ours!! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I don't really care. But I firmly believe that any argument or reasoning along the lines of:

"It's been on Boards.us // Boards.co.uk for a while ya know"

should be instantly thrown out. It doesn't matter what is on other forums. This one is ours!! :)
    FYI! It's boards.org.uk ;) and since the Admins own those sites too I guess they would like some consistency across the system...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I love them....

I'm deeply aroused right now at the very thought of them actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

FYI! It's boards.org.uk ;) and since the Admins own those sites too I guess they would like some consistency across the system...
    Thanks!!

Sure, the admins might want consistency. But as far as I am aware - the point of the feedback forum on boards.ie is for the users of the Irish boards to give feedback on what they think of THIS website. As such, I personally don't give a monkeys what the sister forums are doing because I don't use them. And, therefore I don't think that such points should be considered valid in a boards.ie feedback thread!!

Sigh. Release the cats. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I ws going to start a thread on this yesterday when I glimpsed
    City in the south east
    referring to Kilkenny which is simply a lie. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's obvious that every forum description was thought up in about 45ms, which may be attributing to the hate they are getting (eg: Poker. Card game - doesn't really help people's understanding of what can be talked about specifically)

However, one thing that's been established from this thread is that they'll be useful for noobies. Perhaps they should be set so that only new members will see the description or members will only see the forum description on their first visit to a particular forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote:
    referring to Kilkenny which is simply a lie. ;)

You bitch....:)

We all know there is only one city on this Island.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The fact that there is a discussion thread about this is lol.

Advertisement