Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vindicated!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL Indymedia and sane I never thought I see that. Boards collective IQ has risen a few points with the loss of this muppet.

Oh btw serious political debate occurs on the politics board not AH if a user who has been here since April hasn't figured that out then they are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I think MM is a bit confused but he has some points and I agree that after hours is stormfront lite. AF mods have allowed way too much baseless scum and race bashing, daily mail type mindless bile. this is something that has only been allowed in the last 6 months it wasn't allowed previously on AF, alot of these threads should be moved to politics, a board more suited for such then the confused standards of after hours thats why I think there should be a current affairs board, (something humanities somethimes becomes), I can't figure out why the AF mods don't move the threads other then they enjoy mindless scum and race bashing...? it is true to say that politics.ie has sucked much of the discussion away from the politics board here (btw there moderation policy is quite similar. as in what DC says goes). but its also because alot of those threads would have been moved to politics before where people can't spout nonsense without backing it up.

for eg the baseless 20% of pop thread, adding 10% to statistic like that is racist

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I need some beer. I'll get back to this in half an hour or so.

Ok. First off, links to the racism please.

Secondly,
    for eg the baseless 20% of pop thread, adding 10% to statistic like that is racist
    Did you read the thread in question?

Come back to me when you have read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Umm, sorry?

Can you give us some examples, please?
    I think MM is a bit confused but he has some points and I agree that after hours is stormfront lite. AF mods have allowed way too much baseless scum and race bashing, daily mail type mindless bile. this is something that has only been allowed in the last 6 months it wasn't allowed previously on AF, alot of these threads should be moved to politics, a board more suited for such then the confused standards of after hours thats why I think there should be a current affairs board, (something humanities somethimes becomes), I can't figure out why the AF mods don't move the threads other then they enjoy mindless scum and race bashing...? it is true to say that politics.ie has sucked much of the discussion away from the politics board here (btw there moderation policy is quite similar. as in what DC says goes). but its also because alot of those threads would have been moved to politics before where people can't spout nonsense without backing it up.

Awful racism here.
    More here.

Of course, you can't see the second one because that super racist xenophobic AH mod Giblet deleted it. I would have said Uber racist (to keep with the theme of the posts in question), but I couldn't be bothered configuring the language thingy to do umlauts.

With regards to the scum bashing, as you put it, I challenge them all the time.
    There is no point in stifling every single thread.
    You can't please all of the people all of the time. You can just let them bitch and moan in AH instead of here.

• Advertisement

As I thought, he's buggered off without answering.

I'm off to the pub now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is incredible how predictable many of the responses from the various posters are. I mean is it not possible to stick to the point and drop the facile trying hard to be clever lines.

And why persist with the insults? Many should cop on a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It is incredible how predictable many of the responses from the various posters are.
    Pot, kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

/sigh

Could someone assassinate SoundAndWind? Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

roflmaololwtfqtf!!!! :D

Did anyone else piss themselves at this?

I think the problem is, there is reasoned, moderated debate here!

Down with that sort of thing!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

SonicBloobering,

You're a half arsed troll with no cause to speak of.

Just. Go away.

You serve no purpose here, or arguably elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

DaveMcG wrote:
    lolcatsdotcomsty2fr43qq05dvbd.jpg

Tee hee, this is my new favourite cat picture!

i read some of the thread, people called him on it pretty quickly, but the thread still there, with that title.

it should have been moved to politics... immigration is a politcal issue its not an after hours thread certainly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Am I behind the times in the lingo here? It seems from the above that we should now be pro-scum. Surely if people are in agreement that a particular person is scum there are also in agreement that they are not fond of them. Does "scum" meant something new now? Has some group that were previously called "scum" by others decided to reclaim it á la "queer"?

SonicBloobering,

You're a half arsed troll with no cause to speak of.

Just. Go away.

You serve no purpose here, or arguably elsewhere.

Forget the flacid oneliners, you've plenty of catching up to do to make yours a better one.

Boston wrote:
    hmm Ivana Bacik, the one woman baby killer.

Missed a few!!

i read some of the thread, people called him on it pretty quickly, but the thread still there, with that title.

it should have been moved to politics... immigration is a politcal issue its not an after hours thread certainly....
    If it was in politics, we wouldn't be able to say "dey took arrr jubs".

Threads like that wouldn't last five minutes in politics. They are perfect AH material.
    Light political discussion with a few lame jokes thrown in.
    As you said, he was called on the figure fairly quickly. Nobody believes that 20% of the population consists of foreign people.

The problem is that some people tend to see what they want to see and jump to conclusions. The thread title is a prime example of that.
    Talliesin wrote:
    Am I behind the times in the lingo here? It seems from the above that we should now be pro-scum. Surely if people are in agreement that a particular person is scum there are also in agreement that they are not fond of them. Does "scum" meant something new now? Has some group that were previously called "scum" by others decided to reclaim it á la "queer"?
    Political correctness FTW.

There are some people who post in AH and refer to anyone outside of their own group of friends as "Scum". I like to challenge these people when they do this.
    The term "scum" is relative and open to interpretation.
    A recent thread labelled all people named "Anto" as scum. It was moved to the thunderdome so that the Antos could defend themselves with language used only by scumbags. The F word and such other profanities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Proper order. ****ing scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jaysus:eek:

Iv'e strayed into "Nerds Jungle"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Missed a few!!

Who killed Cornell Mustard in the drawing room with the what now?

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    Who killed Cornell Mustard in the drawing room with the what now?

5,000 calories to kill for starters and the main course well it could be ...homicide for some.

Terry wrote:
    If it was in politics, we wouldn't be able to say "dey took arrr jubs".

Threads like that wouldn't last five minutes in politics. They are perfect AH material. Light political discussion with a few lame jokes thrown in.

I disagree that its right for AH, another example that should have been moved straightaway is "Doctors save womans life, she claims it was "like rape" thread another opportunity for bashing (not that I agree with the subjects stance). It should have been moved to Humanities. I'm not 'pro-scum' either but maybe the after hours should be changed to the mindless hatred and bile forum, I just don't think the scum bashing threads make any sense or give a good reflection of the users or boards.ie. As I said the politics forum is a bit of wasteland in the past year cos all these threads are staying on AH.

Its fair enough if somebody posts a 'what happened to me today thread' in AH that turns into a discussion about various issues, but if its straight off an issue about immigration or cultural standards then it should go to politics or humanities where efforts should be made to keep the thread open and of good standard.

Why do you think it's wrong for AH?
    What is the problem with light political discussion. Not every conversation has to be dissected, reconstructed and dissected again.

There are people who post on AH purely because they do not want to get into a deep discussion on the ramifications of the initial set-up of the Benelux countries and the consequent treaties of Rome, Maastricht etc.

As for the "Doctors save womans life, she claims it was "like rape" thread, there could easily be a sister thread in Humanities. Why don't you start one?

Some people on AH try to enlarge their e-penis by crying for the heads of criminals. Talk to them in the real world and they are probably liberasl pussies.

If it was not for AH, you would see spill-over into politics and Humanities with regards to the threads you have mentioned.
    I'm not 'pro-scum' either but maybe the after hours should be changed to the mindless hatred and bile forum, I just don't think the scum bashing threads make any sense or give a good reflection of the users or boards.ie.
    I'd like you to link to these threads. I have a feeling I know which ones you are talking about, but without reference, I cannot address your problem.
    Remember though, for every scum-bashing post, there are one or more replies with a different outlook.
    It's usually one or two people whining about scum, with the majority of others disagreeing with that particular standpoint.

AH is for people who prefer cereal for breakfast, rather than Roget.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Its fair enough if somebody posts a 'what happened to me today thread' in AH that turns into a discussion about various issues, but if its straight off an issue about immigration or cultural standards then it should go to politics or humanities where efforts should be made to keep the thread open and of good standard.

Should all discussion on this site be limited to that which is of a "good standard"?

What is a good standard and who sets it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Terry wrote:
    What is a good standard and who sets it?

I should set it, and the standard of the thread directly relates to the amount of Asian chicks, Heavy Metal, and David Lynch films are in it, or it is related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I disagree that its right for AH, another example that should have been moved straightaway is "Doctors save womans life, she claims it was "like rape" thread another opportunity for bashing (not that I agree with the subjects stance). It should have been moved to Humanities. .

im really not getting your points here.

you seem to want the mods of AH to do lots of things, but im not sure what it is.

if you feel the populace of boads.ie be educated about where to place threads, then no better man than yourself. me, i dont feel like being elected by you to do it.

can you explain really what your point is so that i can understand exactly what it is you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I should set it, and the standard of the thread directly relates to the amount of Asian chicks, Heavy Metal, and David Lynch films are in it, or it is related to.

Yeah, all of this stuff is utter crap and should be cracked down on.

im really not getting your points here.

you seem to want the mods of AH to do lots of things, but im not sure what it is.

if you feel the populace of boads.ie be educated about where to place threads, then no better man than yourself. me, i dont feel like being elected by you to do it.

can you explain really what your point is so that i can understand exactly what it is you want.

there has been numerous talk of crackdown on everything going straight into AH rather then their proper forums, mods shouting AH is not dumping ground, whether it be silly jokes or directions in dublin why not for race and scum bashing threads we have another perfect example here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055162295
    Russian national gets 10 years for rape

WTF is that doing in After hours?

there numerous mods complaining about AH not being a dumping ground and moving threads why not for these threads?

when was AH ever for light political discussion? when a big world or national event occurs people do use the AH threads to update and discuss but its not a forum for specific political issues to raised again and again and again. I don't think I seen a good reason for threads not to be moved, just being mods being defensive.

i don't want to dictate standards for the mods,thats what mods are there for,the standards are the mods standards they apply them often across the boards, im just suggesting and discussing, terry gave an example himself above of the boards applying standards, don't claim the boards don't have any, but in AH the _trend_ is that they currently don't seem to be above SF-lite... and it not just me that thinks that.

• Advertisement

but in AH the _trend_ is that they currently don't seem to be above SF-lite... and it not just me that thinks that.
    Please, for the third time, link to the posts in question. Or at least use the ****ing report post function.

Advertisement