Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you walk your dogs?

Options
  • 27-09-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

Living in London I have a huge amount of places to walk my dogs and I absolutely love it. In addition to the 3 biggish local parks, there is also the Lea Valley which is several miles of marshland along the Lea river which branches off into several parks along the way.

We're also a short bus ride from Alexandra Palace which has a 200 acre park (and is next to Muswel Hill, which has several pubs and cafes where the dogs are welcome), we're a short train ride from Cheshunt which is further north on the Lea Valley and has parklands and lakes, we're also a short train ride from Epping Forest which is north-east London's 6000 acre forest.

Today as I'm off work we had our first trip to Forty Hall which has huge grounds of fields and a little river and lots of ponds and a woods. And I've yet to go to Trent Country Park which is also in our general area. And we're not too far from Hampstead Heath and Highgate Woods.

We also occasionally take them into central London where we go to Hyde and Regent's parks. We've also taken them to Richmond Park when we went to visit friends in South London.

It's great having such a selection of places to go. They dogs love exploring new places or re-discovering a place they haven't been in a few months. And it's great for me as walking 4 times around the local park (our most common walk) can be a bit too routine.

My problem is that we're talking about moving to Dublin in a year or two and it scares me how badly dogs are treated in Ireland, and I think Dublin especially. Where can they be walked off lead and be adequately exercised? What kind of options are there to head out with the dogs for several hours where they can bound around and explore new places? I don't want to live in London forever, but what sort of life would my dogs have if we moved home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You are allowed walk dogs off the lead (provided they are not listed as "dangerouse breeds) during certain hours of the day in St. Annes Park, North Dublin. Its 170 acres of parkland, game fields, ponds, rosegardens, arberetum and pasture.

The Pheonix park is the biggest walled park in Europe, It will take you a while to see every inch of it. There is nothing nearly that size in London.

The Wicklow mountains are right beside Dublin. It is a large mountain range. Bring your map and compass.

For a light run, try the Sugarloaf, its a small hill just outside Dublin.

Unlike London, Dublin has beaches. You can't walk your dogs off the lead on the beaches, nobody ever ever does it. You wouldn't even dare to walk to where there is nobody in sight and sensibly let your dogs off where they will be harming no one, because there is no one there. ;)

South of Dublin (near Wicklow) there is endless miles of empty beaches.

The midlands are like the English lake district except they are an hour and a half away, look up walks around Glasson village, or Portlick castle, great forest walks for dogs along clean freshwater lakes.

You seem to be very concerned about your dogs excersise requirements. You can always "head out west" at the weekends. There is a fella online here called Peasant, he has a camper van and a few dogs. Sounds like the perfect scenario. That is what I want to get at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

lightening wrote:
    There is a fella online here called Peasant, he has a camper van and a few dogs. Sounds like the perfect scenario. That is what I want to get at some stage.

Me too, and the OP as well I believe...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

beaches, howth head, be careful in the phoenix park with the deer. canals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lightening wrote:
    There is a fella online here called Peasant, he has a camper van and a few dogs. Sounds like the perfect scenario. That is what I want to get at some stage.

Truth be told ...we didn't get the camper to give the dogs a chance to be walked all over Ireland but rather to give us a chance to get out of the house once in a while. :D

The very same house that has 1/2 acre fenced in round the back for the dogs, which is good because, even though we live "in the country", there are very few areas around here where three dogs can be let off the lead safely and/or legally.

So they get excercised out back and "walked" (mostly on lead) whenever and wherever we may want to go (or not, as the case may be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Withe regard to the Wicklow Mountains be careful of sheep, make sure the dog doesn`t go into any ones fields/paddocks.

Also be wary of horse riders, no joy having a dog come at you on horseback....
    (Fair dues to the one man who held back his GS, I thanked him for it).
    If on a public highway you really should use the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Iguana, so you're living in North London? Plenty of open spaces apparantly to walk your dogs. And England, or the English, are far better with dogs in my experience. They care.

Dublin is another cup of tea. There are lovely spaces but as above mentioned not that many to let your dogs run free. Dogs are not allowed on busses by the way. And even if you decide to live at the outskirts and let your dogs run in the countryside, i. e. Wicklow, there is always the danger that some farmer or another wouldn't like your dogs running free. For a reason, because sheep worrying by dogs, which can sometimes even mean to bark at them, is a perfect excuse to shoot dogs, even if the dogs are just frolicking and are outside of the field, which can drive sheep demented. I can understand both sides, it's the farmers livelihood after all, but it's not funny if you are the dog owner. I know what I'm talking about ...

Beaches have restrictions too, at least in Clare where I live. In the summer time no dog is allowed on the beach during day time, in the winter only on a leash. Well, in the evenings you can get around it, but there can be always someone around who has a grudge...

Be prepared to keep your dogs on a leash all the time.

Good luck!

palaver wrote:
    Be prepared to keep your dogs on a leash all the time.

Not really the case Iguana. Plenty of places in Wicklow where there are no sheep. Kipure, Cruagh wood (amazing place) The sugarloaf (mentioned already) Hillwalking is a great way to get out with your dog. As long as you have a bit of cop, keep an eye out you can walk for miles with your dog off the lead. As mentioned above YOU ARE WITHIN THE LAW to walk your dog OFF THE LEAD within certain hours in St. Annes park in Raheny as long as your in control of the dog. I walk my dog twice a day with no lead legally. I am sure there are similar by laws in other parks.

I forgot to mention. SOME joggers have a huge problem with dogs. I have had joggers veer off paths to get as close to you as possible to them complain about the dog. I jog myself to keep fitness and it amazes me. A jogger once ran between myself and the dog when the dog was on a two foot lead. He dragged the dog to the ground, tripped himself up and proceeded to give out to me! (this was in an empty park with acres and acres of pasture and fi

I am a surfer Peasant. The thoughts of heading off in the camper van with the dogs and the boards sounds very attractive!

does a dog have to be on a lead, or just under control. and can someone explain why you cant have a greyhound off a lead in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

alexdenby6 wrote:
    does a dog have to be on a lead, or just under control. and can someone explain why you cant have a greyhound off a lead in public.

It's "under control" by law (unless it's on the dangerous dogs list) but some places have rules that the dog is to be kept on a lead at all/at certain times. It can be confusing. In Marlay Park there is a sign up saying dogs must be kept on leads and then another listing which dogs should be on leads and that other dogs must be under control.:confused:
    palaver wrote:
    Iguana, so you're living in North London? Plenty of open spaces apparantly to walk your dogs.

In Tottenham. London is a great place to have a dog. I love exploring new places with them and seeing how happy they are after a really long walk in a new place. The rules that prevent dogs being exercised in Ireland are really disgraceful. If a city with a population density like London can allow it's dogs to run free in it's parks there is no excuse in a lower density city like Dublin.

Does anyone know what rules apply in Bushy Park? At present that area is our number one choice for where to live. Near (but not too near) the in-laws, cycling distance to where my husband will most likely work, and near a big park for the dogs (hopefully) and any future children. I was there during the summer and lots of people were walking their dogs offlead in the area around the Dodder. Even a "dangerous" one.

alexdenby6 wrote:
    ...and can someone explain why you cant have a greyhound off a lead in public.

Where did you get that idea? Because you can once they're under control (i.e. they're not on the restricted list)
    Keeping a greyhound under control is another thing entirely :D

I was always very smug about where I live as although we've no garden, the place is *ideal* for dogs. Far away from any roads, no small stock. Very few dogs around. Safe enough to exercise them off the lead, or so I thought.

The two actually went temporarily insane and chased a car down the avenue yesterday, out onto the main road (avenue is 3/4 of a mile long). I dont know what got into them (maybe they thought it was my car they were chasing as I've been away a lot recently). OH found one of them (the extra stubborn one) standing, trembling in the middle of the main road... Such a relief they both came home ok.

You just never know with dogs.

• Advertisement

i just checked the control of dogs act!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Walk round the 'block' [6km] (Farmlands), or let them lose running round the fields by the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

my dogs love the Phoenix Park, running through the streams, chasing each other plenty of space

alexdenby6 wrote:
    i just checked the control of dogs act!

There is nothing in the control of dogs act about keeping greyhounds on lead. Its not a legal requirement.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/index.html

Here is the dog act. No greyhounds off the lead.

10.—(1) A person shall not permit a greyhound to be in any public place unless such greyhound is being led by means of a sufficiently strong chain or leash.
    (2) A person shall not lead or cause or permit to be led by any one person more than four greyhounds at a time in any public

Again... Iguana. There are rules, but they are not as bad as you make them out to be. I will try and find out the hours for of lead dog walking for Bushy Park.

Here we go!

http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/your_home/animals/

] shall keep the dog on a
    sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length if a fixed
    leash, or ten metres if retractable, while in that area, except during the
    following times when the dog may be unleashed in such areas (but excluding
    the North Bull Island and any other such area for which a Special Amenity
    Area Order is made) provided that such dog must still be under the effectual
    control of the person-in-charge of the dog in accordance with the Control of Dogs Acts, 1986 and 1992:

January & December: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.

February & November: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.30 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.

March & October: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    5.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m. (Wintertime)
    6.30 p.m. - 7.30 p.m. (Summertime)

April & September: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    7.30 p.m. - 8.30 p.m.

May & June: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    July & August: 8.30 p.m. - 9.30 p.m.

lightening wrote:
    Iguana. There are rules, but they are not as bad as you make them out to be. I will try and find out the hours for of lead dog walking for Bushy Park.

January & December: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.

February & November: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.30 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.

March & October: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    5.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m. (Wintertime)
    6.30 p.m. - 7.30 p.m. (Summertime)

April & September: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    7.30 p.m. - 8.30 p.m.

May & June: 8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    July & August: 8.30 p.m. - 9.30 p.m.

If I'm understanding that right the situation is far, far worse than I ever imagined it could be. Is that really saying that in all Dublin parks there is only one hour in the afternoon/evening (changeable by season!) that dogs may be walked off-lead? If so that is so far beyond evil, cruel nonsense.

I thought that maybe the dogs were to be kept on a lead between something like 11am to 5/6pm but could be walked off-lead otherwise. That in itself is ridiculous because if a city with the population density of London can allow dogs off lead in parks at all times their is no excuse in a sprawling city like Dublin. But one hour in the afternoons is something I can only express in words banned on boards. :(

If I'm not reading it right, which I really hope I'm not, then sorry for the meltdown. But that is appalling.

iguana wrote:
    If I'm understanding that right the situation is far, far worse than I ever imagined it could be. Is that really saying that in all Dublin parks there is only one hour in the afternoon/evening (changeable by season!) that dogs may be walked off-lead? If so that is so far beyond evil, cruel nonsense.

I thought that maybe the dogs were to be kept on a lead between something like 11am to 5/6pm but could be walked off-lead otherwise. That in itself is ridiculous because if a city with the population density of London can allow dogs off lead in parks at all times their is no excuse in a sprawling city like Dublin. But one hour in the afternoons is something I can only express in words banned on boards. :(

If I'm not reading it right, which I really hope I'm not, then sorry for the meltdown. But that is appalling.

They are not enforced Iguana. Calm down. I walk with the park warden, chatting away with a large dog off the lead not within these hours. Again, read my other posts regarding Wicklow and the like. If you are that concerned you can drive to these places.

And... your welcome.

lightening wrote:
    They are not enforced Iguana. Calm down. I walk with the park warden, chatting away with a large dog off the lead not within these hours. Again, read my other posts regarding Wicklow and the like. If you are that concerned you can drive to these places.

And... your welcome.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be ungrateful.:o I'm just worried about exercising my dogs properly. They're springer spaniels and need a lot of exercise. At this very minute they are freaking out because they normally have their evening walk at this time but as there is a Spurs match in 45 minutes the whole area is too crowded to walk them without them getting in the way of 100's of supporters. I've tried explaining to them that we're waiting for kick-off when the place will be deserted but they just won't listen to me.;)

My main worry is that the plan is that by the time we come back to Dublin we may have or be close to having a baby so being able to walk the dogs hassle free somewhere that I can also push a pram (or waddle my baby incubating body) safely, easily, without a strict timetable and possible hassle/aggression is essential.

sounds lie you'd be better off staying in london.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 celticdragoncw

will every one stop going on about the IMAGINARY dangerous dogs act in Ireland. THERES NO SUCH THING. within the CONTROL OF DOGS ACT theres a restricted breeds list that stats that the restricted breed ( german shephered, rottie, few bull breeds and so on have to be on a leed and muzzled in a public place ) please stop beleiving the bull the government are tellin you to put the fear of god into you and dont beleive the wardens and gardai ( though there are MANY FINE PEOPLE IN THESE TWO PROFESIONS BECAUSE THEY GENUINELY CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO ) when they tell you that your shephered or rottie or doberman ect is on THE DANGEROUS DOGS LIST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Iguana, I live in South Dublin and have three dogs. A noisy jack russell, a collie/terrier X and a very energetic pointer/dally X.

They get walked on their leads around where we live, they also go to the following places which are all within a 10-20 minute drive:

Killiney hill, Killiney beach, Glen of the downs, Dun Laoghaire Pier.

Theres a lovely hour and a half walk we do on sundays off - down to the beach at killiney, walk out to shankill then home along the roads :)

At weekends for an extra 10 mins drive we can go to glendalough for the day. I keep them on lead here as it can be busy but they LOVE it and even mr. noisy pants jack russell sleeps soundly the night after a trek there ;)

Point being, if youre responsible/ dont take the p*ss (eg bad recall= stay on lead, pick up after your dog, don't let your off lead dog approach a nervous on lead one etc) in my experience youll be fine, I've had my dogs for the last 6 years and have lived in 3 different places and have never had issues finding places to walk them :)

Best of luck with your move! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

My for my guy's daily walks we use the football pitches at corkagh park , off the N7, for a run around, then around the park on the lead.

Then at the weekends, bring him somewhere for a day out like Ashbourne house in wicklow, newcastle beach, up the hellfire club or up tibradden woods.

Ashbourne house in particular is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Guys, in case you havent noticed, this thread is nearly 2 years old?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

andreac wrote: »
    Guys, in case you havent noticed, this thread is nearly 2 years old?:confused:

I for one welcome our new Mod overlord :P

So to the question.

I walk my dogs mostly on the beach, since I live near a very nice one. And occasionally around my housing estate - but I prefer the freedom and fresh air of the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is there something wrong with pointing that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 celticdragoncw

i really like to diversify. we like to walk along the coast road in clontarf, and i sometimes walk along the docks near the finacial centre and the o2. just like the scenery at night. go to fairview park alot either in the morning or on lunch and then theres the dollymount beach. saint annes is good too, you get plenty of space there. and when we have time we go the pheonix park or howth or for a day out go to glendalough ( or if any one can tell us some nice hikes thatd between d3 and there ) also im going back to the german shephered shutzhund club i use to go two in dunboyne which is great for them.

at the min im visiting the coast, st. annes and fairview and marino parks the most. if any one wanted to meet up for socialisation reasons id be happy to.
    i dont mind a dog doin somthing wrong if some ones trying to fix it or is willing to not move til the behavior is corrected ( in their own responsible way , because every one is different )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

I've just moved over from the UK and found a lovely house in The Gallops, Leopardstown.

I have a 2 year old dalmatian and I dont drive - is there anywhere roundabout here we can go a big walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

We are really lucky, the park right beside us is super dog friendly. Everyone from the surrounding houses with dogs meet up everyday to give the dogs a good spin and let them off the leads to play and no one says a word to us, its brilliant! Of course we do take special care when kids are about and people who are nervous of dogs. Our two are always exhausted when we get back to the house!

DA365, if your in the Gallops there's threerock which is a forest up on Ticknock Hill (I think its called) loads of places up there but watch out for us mountain bikers! Perhaps Sandymount Stand might be a bit far but if you can get there its great to let the dogs off the lead when the tide is way out. Maybe these places are a bit of a distance but im not really familar with that part of the world yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement