Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance query

Options
  • 27-09-2007 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I am changing my car tomorrow. The insurance company will take a few days to send out new disk but said I am covered once I give them details and am on their system. Is this correct? I thought one had to display a disk or risk prosecution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't know what the law states but you don't have to worry about this. If you get stopped by the gurads, you just tell them the new one is in the post. Happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Bring your receipt from the garage to show that you've just purchased your new car.

You could alternatively, get the insurance company to fax you a shot note to say the car is covered but in real terms, it would be a very difficult garda that would make an issue out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Yep no probs. Your ins will cover you from whatever time you tell them too.

If you get stopped by the cops they will normaly wave you on or worst case tell you to produce the ins cert at your local station.

Not sure what the deal with traffic wardens is, I know they can give you a ticket for no tax but not sure if the can for no ins disc. Just to be safe, don't park it on a main/side street until you get your disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

it would be a very difficult garda that would make an issue out of this."

Does that mean legally they could?. I do want to give them a chance

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'd put your current insurance disc in the window of the new car. The reg will be wrong but you'll have your policy number and with the receipt from the garage that should satisfy even the prickliest Garda. Worst case, you'll get ten days to produce the cert at the station, by which time you should have your new cert.

• Advertisement

I am changing my car tomorrow. The insurance company will take a few days to send out new disk but said I am covered once I give them details and am on their system. Is this correct? I thought one had to display a disk or risk prosecution

I hadnt a disc up for months so I wouldnt worry about a few days. Once you are insured the worst they can do is give a small fine and they wouldnt even do that when you give them your story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Already changed my poicy twice since starting my second years ins in Aug, phoned them and they said ''thats grand'' put the old one in the window ( i know in your case you dont have a old one) but just expain to them that you are coverd have your policy number at hand, worst case you have to show your detais at the cop shop within 10 days. I changed my poilcy there on monday and got the new one in the post yeasterday, you've nothing to worry about OP.

-VB-

Advertisement