Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its Radio Week on er Televsion!

• 27-09-2007 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

BBC4 (the Best Channel in the World TM) is doing another of its themed weeks and what better subject than radio. A wide variety of programmes includes 10 mins of Arena looking at the time signal pips, the purge of "Wunderful Radio One", how various TV favs have migrated from the wireless, the impact of Caroline, The John Peels show profiled and a few other odds 'n sods.

It all starts on Sunday at 11 pm with Blood on the Carpet as Matthew Bannister looses a million listeners gaining new life for Radio One.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mike65 - Boards' very own human TV listings guide! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if its on BBC4 I'll give a heads-up as many peeps have it but don't seem to think about it much. It can be a treasure trove.

Mike.

Indeed. I love BBC4 too. Have done since it began. I wouldn't know about classic creepy TV like Quatermass etc if it wasn't for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

BBC4 is an excellent well modulated ,and eclectic station, which caters for the more academic minded viewer in a structured way, and in doing so manages to draw in the average viewer without pontificating or talking down to them.

I particularly like the niche programmes which explore our antropologlical history and do so in an entertaining and informative way, without succumbing to confusing scientific data,which brings it down to the level of the ordinary viewer like myself.

Production values are top class and it offers a robust and entertaining antidote to some of the mindless drivel which appears on our screens at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Listening to BBC Radio 2 (and drifting into BBC Radio 1 too) has been a joy today. It's 40 years to the day since Radio 1 launched, and the other BBC Radio networks were renamed and shaped. The BBC Light Programme became Radio 2, the BBC Home Service became Radio 4 and the Third Programme became... um.. Radio 3.

Chris Moyles co-hosted the Radio 1 breakfast show with its launch presenter, Tony Blackburn, Paul Hollingdale, the first DJ on Radio 2 did a programme, Stewpot reheated Junior Choice, Michael Aspel did Family Favourites and there was a repeat of a Kenny Everett radio show as broadcast ('cept in mono) from 1981.

Brilliant nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll have to catch up online (its 25 years of C4 soon as well!)

Mike.

Oh yeah, nice one! What are the chances of lots of old clips of Richard (R.I.P) and Carol?!

Advertisement