Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help choosing a car

Options
  • 27-09-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Ok the GF wants to upgrade from her Yaris to soemthing better.

She hass about 7k to spend, maybe a little more, but as little as possible.

She wants a Suzuki Jimney but im desperately trying to convince her otherwise as i'll have to drive it sometimes. Are they really as awful as they look?

Ive suggested a Puma, which would be a much better can for a 25yr old.Maybe
    Other options are the new Mini, although would have to be brought in from the Uk and pay a bit more than whats in the budget.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a Hyundai Coupe to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had a Jimny for four years, it isn't all bad:

bad points:
    rough ride, bouncy, tail-happy when it's wet, noisy at speed, not a long distance or motorway car, fuel consumption fairly high for such a small car, rear seats for emergencies (or children) only

good points:
    cheap to buy, run and service; doesn't really go wrong, pretty well equipped,
    very good visibility and parkability - great around town, fabulous off road (really!), good size boot with rear seats down.

I used it on bad back roads, occassional shopping in town and some fun off road ...it was ideal for that.
    As a pure city dweller it may be a bit too uncomfortable and thirsty.

But DO test drive one before you dismiss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

For 7k, you could get a tidy 98 BMW 3 series. I've seen 01s going for 10k.
    There's also 01/02 focus, golf (maybe). Puma is a nice car, but don't forget it's chassis is from the previous generation fiesta, while that maybe only a small niggle it has a very smaller petrol tank in comparison to other hatches (40 L). Ride might be more smooth, but MPG will probably run the same as the suzuki.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would through the Honda Civic coupe into the ring also. Should be able to pick one up in the UK where they are plentiful on your budget. You might get the last generation version which was around from 2001 to 2003 afaik. Pretty well equipped and the 1.7 litre iVTEC engine is nippy enough.

Something like this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=595570

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If you could find a Puma for that money you should consider it.

I drove a Jimny once and that was enough thanks - its a toy really although I believe they are quite good off road as peasant says.

A good test drive would probably sort her out - you might need to point out the rough ride and road noise to her so she can compare them to other cars but she'll get the point I am sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Shes a typical woman so her choice will go by how the car looks and its year to a lesser degree rather than anything else, and its her money so she can do what she likes!

The Honda Civic is a definite no as is the BMW, they just dont suit her. I said if she had to get a small 4x4the vitara would be a much better buy than a Jimney but havent really looked into it.

The Puma is winning by a mile though, totally ruled out the Hyundai Coupe as well. I suppose a typical hairdresser car is what were looking for here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The Puma is winning by a mile though, totally ruled out the Hyundai Coupe as well. I suppose a typical hairdresser car is what were looking for here!

If she buys a Puma I bet you won't mind looking like a "Hairdresser" once you've had a chance to drive it. None of the other in this list would hold a candle to it down your favorite stretch of road - particularly if you get the 1.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RobAMerc wrote:
    If she buys a Puma I bet you won't mind looking like a "Hairdresser" once you've had a chance to drive it. None of the other in this list would hold a candle to it down your favorite stretch of road - particularly if you get the 1.7.
    Couldn't agree more.

Advertisement