Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle License Query

Options
  • 27-09-2007 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Could anyone, specifically air rifle owners, run me through the exact procedure for the air gun license and how much it costs for a year.
    I have signatures and permission from two land owners to shoot on their land, both exeeding 30 acres.
    Is their some sort of form I have to get for land owners to sign or what?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

well you need the make,model and calibre of the gun you want to apply for. two letters permession saying your name,name of landowner and the townland and acreage. 38 Euro a year and some friendly gardai you should be good to go.
    what air rifle are you going to apply for and what calibre?
    I have a HW80, HW77 and HW100, i like the german made wheirauch
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 duskwalker

Unsure. I never actually got a good look at it, I think its british made. Its a
    .22 breaker and thats all I know at the moment. I'll post it when I aquire it.
    Could you tell me if I have to apply to my local Garda Station or could it be the next biggest after that? My local is only operational at certain times of the day, inconviently enough, i'm never there.

i don't know of any well made british break barrels. how much are you spending?
    good accurate hunting guns would be ,HW77,97 both underlevers,
    in break barrels the HW 98,90 or 80 are best, with the 80 being easily tunned to the high power levels you'd need for a flat shooting .22 gun.
    air arms(british made) do nice under levers the TX200 or pro-hunter.
    there are no other "real hunting" airguns other than those.if your gun is going to be around 12 ft/lb you'd be better off with a .177 over about 16 ft/lb .22 is the way to go.
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Same licence as for a 22lr, more power, better range plus or minus 100 yds against possibly 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

duskwalker wrote:
    Could you tell me if I have to apply to my local Garda Station or could it be the next biggest after that? My local is only operational at certain times of the day, inconviently enough, i'm never there.

I was in the same boat as you. Sadly you will have to apply at your local station. I tried applying at the next biggest but they refused to deal with the application and I was refered back to the sub station. Took me about a week of constant calling them to find the Garda to take the application. It was a total pain in the hole tbh.

• Advertisement

you can easily get out to 50 yards with a "normal" airgun and out to 80 yards with a 30 ft/lb one. only sound is the target being hit,zero recoil, 6 euro for 500 shots, ricochets not as much of worry.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This may be useful dusk, it's how you'd go about getting a licence for target shooting and the form you'd fill in and so forth.

BryanL wrote:
    i don't know of any well made british break barrels. how much are you spending?
    good accurate hunting guns would be ,HW77,97 both underlevers,
    in break barrels the HW 98,90 or 80 are best, with the 80 being easily tunned to the high power levels you'd need for a flat shooting .22 gun.
    air arms(british made) do nice under levers the TX200 or pro-hunter.
    there are no other "real hunting" airguns other than those.if your gun is going to be around 12 ft/lb you'd be better off with a .177 over about 16 ft/lb .22 is the way to go.
    Bryan
    Its actually a .22 Gamo Hunter 890. About 8 lb's roughly. I's say i'd get about 60 yards out of it on a good day, using nearly most hunting for small game. Setting me back 250 euro

Bond-007 wrote:
    I was in the same boat as you. Sadly you will have to apply at your local station. I tried applying at the next biggest but they refused to deal with the application and I was refered back to the sub station. Took me about a week of constant calling them to find the Garda to take the application. It was a total pain in the hole tbh.
    Belive me, nothings changed...
    I actually bought this gun about 4 weeks ago, but the gaurds are never there at the sub-station and my towns main station keep sending me away. Hopefully I will be able to do it this weekend

"you can easily get out to 50 yards with a "normal" airgun and out to 80 yards with a 30 ft/lb one. only sound is the target being hit,zero recoil, 6 euro for 500 shots, ricochets not as much of worry.
    Bryan"
    ricochet from plinking with .177 hit my ear so hopefully the .22 will have a better range so i'm further away
    "This may be useful dusk, it's how you'd go about getting a licence for target shooting and the form you'd fill in and so forth."
    Is that PC-20 form cover all firearms?

• Advertisement

dusk 8lb is the weight but i'm talking about the power. 12ft/lb is about the average power delivered by a field airgun but they can go up to 30+ft/lb

hey duskwalker try this site for tips on tuning

that gamo gets good reviews and delivers about 18ft/lb power which gives a fairly flat trajectory out to about 40+yards beyond that takes some practise with a springer.
    seems you can get a trigger tune kit on that site for about 6 euro as it's a very heavy trigger without it and then maybe look at a maccari tuning kit for it.
    good luck with it should be a handy gun
    Bryan

BryanL wrote:
    hey duskwalker try this site for tips on tuning

that gamo gets good reviews and delivers about 18ft/lb power which gives a fairly flat trajectory out to about 40+yards beyond that takes some practise with a springer.
    seems you can get a trigger tune kit on that site for about 6 euro as it's a very heavy trigger without it and then maybe look at a maccari tuning kit for it.
    good luck with it should be a handy gun
    Bryan
    didn't get that link, if i dont feel comfortable with the trigger then i will tune it, a heavy trigger will realy affect my shot.

Everythings in the works. Just waiting on my license to come through.
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: Not to be a complete anorak but I think 30 yards is about optimum for a 12ft/lb springer and about 40 for a gamo 18ft/lbs. ( this is the max legal limit is Spain where the gamo's are made.)
    If you got a standard weihrauch 80 springer for instance you could fit a theoben fac gas ram to it and get about 26 ft /lbs or you could import the daddy of them all , a Theoben eliminator giving 30 ft/lbs but with a 30 lb cocking effort.
    If you have 2000 euro to spare you could order a whiscome double cocking springer ( two springs opposing each other cancelling out any recoil--expect a year waiting list ) food for thought !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rifleman

there a few british break barrel air rifles 2 are webly and bsa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rifleman

how long dose it take a licence to come through for an air rifle i ve been waiting for nearly 7 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

3 months is the 'aw crap something's badly wrong' point rifleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

just be aware that air rifles are not allowed for hunting in ireland whatever their power.
    you should state that the gun is for target and competition only,thats the law as it stands at present.
    I had a webley exocet in .177 and powering in at just under 11ftlbs and used it for rats with great success.
    the great thing about air guns is that you can shoot cans and bottles all day without costing a fortune.
    Rightly or wrongly these are classed as firearms in ireland and the cost for a cert is 38 euros a year,the same as a .22 rimfire.
    thats probably why they are nor very popular and very limited as to what you can buy here.
    You should go to easons and get a magazine called airgunner,they do loads of reviews and tests every month on various rifles and pistols.
    If you see something you like you could ask your dealer to order it for you.
    Just be prepared to pay rip off ireland prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement