Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ET:QW Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

coolio looking forward to playing this tomorrow 12 map campains ftw!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Ah the other maps are the sweet tbh. It would be cool if all the irish players could play on the same server as much as possible, even if only for release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

ive gotta w8 till monday till i can play it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

I got the demo there and had a go of it.
    I was really disappointed.

Both sides are exactly the same, the weapons are such noob run and spray, the only weapon without a cone of fire is the sniper i think. The GDF pistols are a prime example, such a load of crap. The medic dropping his packs with his paddles that have no animation and the support guy are like the poorman's version of bf2.
    I imagine there will be more guns with different characteristics in the final release?? I realise there will be grenade launchers and things like that.

Its like a prettier looking Wolfenstein ET, which I hated. Running around spamming people with the thompson and occasionally pulling out a pair of pliers for an objective. I am more interested in the combat than pulling out pliers and holding mouse1 on some bridge or some other crap.
    Personally, the feel of it, the weapons, the combat, the movement, reminded me very much of Command and Conquer Renegade, which was the worst fps I have ever played.

The kind of games I like or used to like are dod1.3, cs1.6, css, cod2, bf2.
    I realise this is only the demo, but my god it is terrible. I expected so much more.
    I hope cod4 doesn't let me down too.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

kkthxbi, as the kids say.

I'll get your coat for you.

Oh now that I think of it; Yore Ma, incidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ruffty^ wrote:
    The kind of games I like or used to like are dod1.3, cs1.6, css, cod2, bf2.

So what are you doing on a quake forum Ruffty, if thats your real name? Go away plx bye.

Sorry about ya lads, in this part of the world everyone is entitled to their opinion. Or you could always hop on a plane back to red china where ye came from?

Maximilian why dont you go share your comments with your 4th class school mates, where they belong, if you are lucky most of them won't have the maturity to identify you as the simpleton you are.

/COLOR]The game is called "Quake Wars", so I went on the "Quake" forum.[COLOR="Red"
    Just read the above sentence inside the red brackets back to yourself a couple of times, I'm sure you'll understand it eventually.

Some people will like a game, others won't, its no big deal. I posted what I think of the demo so maybe someone would read it and think twice about forking out €60 or whatever it will cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Eurogamer gave it a respectable 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Ruffty^ wrote:
    Sorry about ya lads, in this part of the world everyone is entitled to their opinion. Or you could always hop on a plane back to red china where ye came from?

Maximilian why dont you go share your comments with your 4th class school mates, where they belong, if you are lucky most of them won't have the maturity to identify you as the simpleton you are.

/COLOR]The game is called "Quake Wars", so I went on the "Quake" forum.[COLOR="Red"
    Just read the above sentence inside the red brackets back to yourself a couple of times, I'm sure you'll understand it eventually.

Some people will like a game, others won't, its no big deal. I posted what I think of the demo so maybe someone would read it and think twice about forking out €60 or whatever it will cost.

I agree with you.

I've played the demo a bit and i'm disappointed. Just doesn't have the same impact BF2 had when I played that first.

I am looking foward to COD4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Course everyone is entitled to their opinion. The full game is even better than the demo, vehicle handling seems improved, graphics are even better and sounds are top notch.

Game play requires organisation, mixed classes and above all patience. Rambos will not win this game. To reach an objective normally requires a sniper to clear the inf away, cant believe I said that, then maybe an arty/violater/vampire strike to clear away deployabels, then rush the objective.

I think players need to see the game for what it is, its not BF2, its not ET etc. You will only get value imo if you play with others using comms etc.

Also some of the maps are top notch, Volcano is classic, Quarry is fun with 3 ctf objectives running at the same time. If you are not in a clan then pair up with other Irish public players and get some comms organised, the game will improve even further.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ruffty^ wrote:

My impression is almost entirely the opposite of yours when it comes to this game, hence my earlier comment, intended to be taken with a teaspoon of humour. You sounded like a BF fanboy who was on a mission to dislike the game, frankly.

As for my 4th class mates, I'm out of touch with them these days, being 35 and all. In any event, Yore Ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Maximilian wrote:
    You sounded like a BF fanboy

Ruffty made the fatal mistake of posting negative comments in the games fanboy forum , most people know that you should not do this . You don't go to the CS:S forum to say how crap it is , nor do you go to the BF forums to say how crap that is . I didn't like the ET:QW demo so I posted that in a thread in the general games forum with my reasons why . This is what Ruffty should have done . He made a mistake , explain why to him and leave it at that rather that turning this forum into another CS forum .

Outside of all that , just as a matter of interest , did most people buy this game online ? . I only ask because I was in the GAME shop in town and I was talking to the chap behind the counter and asking him how it was selling ,he said it hardly sold at all and that they were very disappointed with it .

edited to say : my da could beat up yore da

Quite true. Best not to turn this forum into a creche, bearing in mind it was probably the very first forum opened here.

I don't think its available to buy online yet - They had the demo up on Steam, so its a fair bet it will be available there before too long.

I'm really liking the game so far, some of the other maps are tremendous fun and very different to the demo level.

I should also mention, all of yore Ma is belong to us etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

after playing it a bit in work i decided not to buy it.

it's very polished, fun and good but no replacement for bf2/2142 IMO. not for any negative reasons on QW's part, it simply doesn't do anything so different that it warrants my money.

it's a bit faster then BF, but not as fast as quake normally is. so when UT3 hits, QW would be shelved either way.

I came on this forum to find out about QW, I read the reviews and put up my thoughts on it. I didn't go making a new new thread called "QW IS CRAP", that would have been a mistake.
    Not every review has to be positive tbh.

I just find reading your different points of view interesting, whether positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maximilian wrote:
    As for my 4th class mates, I'm out of touch with them these days, being 35 and all. In any event, Yore Ma.
    Yore his da...? :D:p
    jonski wrote:
    Outside of all that , just as a matter of interest , did most people buy this game online ? . I only ask because I was in the GAME shop in town and I was talking to the chap behind the counter and asking him how it was selling ,he said it hardly sold at all and that they were very disappointed with it .
    Maybe cos those f**kers usually price games around the €60 mark.

I got it in Smyths, for €31.

=-=

The nay sayers: I played the CTF mod for BF1942, and I liked it. It's an entirely different game from the capture flags game.

Likewise, the objective mode won't be to everyone's taste. And it was made that way.

In BF1942, BFV, BF2, BF2152... it was always domination type modes, where you had to hold onto X amount of flags till the enemies points ran out.

In CS, it was objective, either bomb something, or rescue people.

Two different types of game-play. And now for something different. Build a bridge, get a MCP to X point, blow something up within a certain time limit. This was purely from the demo, I've yet to play the full game (it'll be installed soon, though).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

the_syco wrote:
    Maybe cos those f**kers usually price games around the €60 mark.
    I got it in Smyths, for €31.

To be fair I don't remember any pc game for €60 , and I can always get a game in GAME for the same price as anywhere else , just tell em and they wil price match .
    on 1191028845:
    So after all that hipe, it looks as though there isn't as much interest as people where lead to believe. After Jonski told us about it not really moving in Game i ventured up myself to chat to a member of staff and they said that there is no real interest at all, most people that pre-booked it didn't bother coming to get it yet!?

Talked to the chap in Smyths down here today and he was saying the same thing , I can only assume that most purchased online .

Advertisement