Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

static noise present in phone line after dial up modem usage

Options
  • 27-09-2007 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello i'm just wondering if someone knows why there is a static noise when i pick up the phone to make a call after i've been using the modem recently (i even disconnect the modem from the wall jack) .... when i wake up in the morning there is no noise on the phone line immediately, but it creeps on after maybe 10 seconds... and remains there....... it is worse immediately after using a modem.... and i even hear a small static noise when connecting to the internet... during times when i wasn't using the internet every day (due to it not working due to a damaged modem i believe), there was no static noise in the phone at all

i'm on my 3rd dial up modem now in two months.. they have been disintegrating in a matter of days or weeks it seems.... my connection speed was perfect on friday when i bought the new modem (an internal one, i had a usb and another internal one previously)... and slowly as the days went on i found my speeds were getting worse and worse.... something i noticed is that.... the static noise on the phone line would stop if i disconnected the cable connecting the modem to the wall jack, however, as i stated above, the static noise doesn't disappear anymore.

it's really confusing, 3 different engineers have been out and there is no problem with the line coming into the house, and when i wasn't using the internet everything was fine with the phone.. but once i start using the internet problems start

i plan on gettin a second hand computer out sometime next week and if the internet works fine with that computer then i guess that would indicate that my computer does indeed have a destructive effect on modems and that's the problem solved.

if anyone can give any feedback i'd appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

cyril85 wrote:
    hello i'm just wondering if someone knows why there is a static noise when i pick up the phone to make a call after i've been using the modem recently (i even disconnect the modem from the wall jack) .... when i wake up in the morning there is no noise on the phone line immediately, but it creeps on after maybe 10 seconds... and remains there....... it is worse immediately after using a modem.... and i even hear a small static noise when connecting to the internet... during times when i wasn't using the internet every day (due to it not working due to a damaged modem i believe), there was no static noise in the phone at all

i'm on my 3rd dial up modem now in two months.. they have been disintegrating in a matter of days or weeks it seems.... my connection speed was perfect on friday when i bought the new modem (an internal one, i had a usb and another internal one previously)... and slowly as the days went on i found my speeds were getting worse and worse.... something i noticed is that.... the static noise on the phone line would stop if i disconnected the cable connecting the modem to the wall jack, however, as i stated above, the static noise doesn't disappear anymore.

it's really confusing, 3 different engineers have been out and there is no problem with the line coming into the house, and when i wasn't using the internet everything was fine with the phone.. but once i start using the internet problems start

i plan on gettin a second hand computer out sometime next week and if the internet works fine with that computer then i guess that would indicate that my computer does indeed have a destructive effect on modems and that's the problem solved.

if anyone can give any feedback i'd appreciate it

Sounds to me like there is a slight breakdown in the insulation resistance on the phone line. If the insulation is slightly broken down, (without the wires neccessarily even touching eachother), the use of the phone line would then basically cause the twisted pair to act as a capacitor, causing noise on the line, and maybe even damaging your modem.

Advertisement