Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to check if import/details on paying for used ccar

Options
  • 27-09-2007 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

When buying a car 2nd hand how does one know if a car is an import or not. Would it be on the tax details?

Also when buying a used car what does one have to do? Just sign the tax book and drive away (once insurance changed over, although my insurance covers 3rd party driving in any car)?

Looking at an 02 almera sport at the mo. in Dublin for €6,500 58k miles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It should say if it's been imported and list the original registration, date of registration in Ireland, etc. in the VRC. And yeah you just need to fill out the change of ownership form in it and the previous owner should send it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Look @ the reg no. Is it high for the year. You'd need a feel for how many new cars were sold in that year though. 2nd hand imports always have high numbers as new cars for each year begin @ 1 & proceed to ----. To change ownership the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and return it to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment and Local Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

All imports do not have high numbers as I got a 3 digit one for my car which was 2 and half years old at the time, as they skip alot of numbers along the way especially the low ones

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your 'driving other cars' insurance only covers you if you don't own the other car. You will need to notify your insurer to change the cover to the new car.

And I read here that you can get a 'low' number for an import if that number is still available (unused reserved numbers) on payment of a fee - €350 I think?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Actually on the same line does anyone know the web address of the companies who do a backround check on the cars for you?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A little OT but does anyone else think €6,500 for a 2002 Almera is silly money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

i have come across an interesting situation with a car ive almost bought.

Number plate is is 01 D xxxx

First registration date on tax book is May '02!

Could this be a mistake or is there something else going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

If the car has a service history this should have some tell tale signs as well, first few services will be stamped by UK garages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Probably a UK import. Ask the seller. Pretty sure the fact that a car is an import is indicated somewhere on registration cert.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

i have come across an interesting situation with a car ive almost bought.

Number plate is is 01 D xxxx

First registration date on tax book is May '02!

Sounds like it was first registered in Ireland in May '02, but was registered elsewhere (ie the UK) in '01.
    Stick the chassis number (visible thru a little "window" at the bottom of the windscreen) into hpicheck.com.

BTW, UK and Irish Almeras of that time were different. Assuming it's the hatchback, the UK had S and SE (and maybe Sport), all with appropriate badges on the back. Irish Almeras were all the same spec, with nothing on the back apart from Nissan and Almera.

Irish models all had 2 airbags, no ABS, colour coded wing mirrors. UK models varied on all the above (the S model was lower than the Irish model, the SE was higher). Sport, AFAIK, means alloy wheels and maybe a spoiler.

It was only some time into the facelifted model that the Irish ones started with the S, SE etc badges on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

turns out it was registered in 2001 but not taxed until may 2002!

Advertisement