Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nearest Mast

• 27-09-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone!

I'm working on a college project involving afordable tracking. I want to use mobile phones to supply locations. I can get a map of mobile masts in Ireland, but I'm wondering if there's a way to detect which mast your connected to?

That way you'd have a fair estimate on you location.
    I'm aware of that the results are not very accurate but i'm still interested.

Thanks
    Corglass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you have a series 60 you should be in luck with some aps to trial and see if they are what you are after... if you dig through some of the symbian specific sites you should find details on others

e.g.
    apps detailing cell info
    http://afischer-online.de/sos/celltrack/

apps taking call info (or gps input) and build it into a location / tracking app
    http://www.aspicore.com/en/tuotteet_tracker.asp?tab=2&sub=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

corglass wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

I'm working on a college project involving afordable tracking. I want to use mobile phones to supply locations. I can get a map of mobile masts in Ireland, but I'm wondering if there's a way to detect which mast your connected to?

That way you'd have a fair estimate on you location.
    I'm aware of that the results are not very accurate but i'm still interested.

Thanks
    Corglass

It definately can be done, I was in South Africa about 7 years ago and they had a system there whereby the location would change on the screen as you went through the different areas of the city (I was in Cape Town at the time). They had it just underneath the operators logo. Can't remember what network it was though I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

If you go into your network settings you'll see an option for cell info display. Thats what you were seeing in south africa but the irish operators disable that option. There might be a way of getting at the info though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Thanks everyone for the replys. I now at least know its possible. IF anyone here is working with an Irish network operator could they PM if they know whether irish systems brodcast this info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

If you have a SE phone, and you use Myphoneexplorer on your PC,
    Goto the Other Section --> There is a LAC/Cell-ID
    It shows the Cell ID
    eg. an O2 3G Cell in West Athlone
    is 1081 / 00283382

Advertisement