Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex. Drugs. Violence. Language.

Options
  • 27-09-2007 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Rate them in the order in which you'd be least happy your kids being exposed to them in say films and TV programs.

Language (most happy)
    Sex
    Drugs
    Violence (least happy)

for me

edit: dammit this was supposed to be a thread. :o

Can a mod pretty please do their thing where they make it be the thingy? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

For me, it would always depend how it is portrayed... for example, if drug use was portrayed as a really bad thing which causes harm to the user and loved ones, I'd have far less of a problem with it than when it is glamourised like in some fashion ads. Similarly, I'd have a huge problem with my kids seeing a rape scene, but not much of a problem in them seeing a tastefully done sexscene between two married adults.

For me, in general the list would be:
    Violence (most happy)
    Drugs
    Language
    Sex (least happy)

I have rated them that way because while I don't want my kids to see senseless violence, I have less issues with them seeing war, and people defend themselves. I dislike the amount of wearing in Ireland in real life, and try to not swear myself, and not take G_d's name in vain- which I want to teach my kids also. I think there is far too much sex on TV, especially between young, non-married people, and far too many nacked bodies in ads for things which do not require nacked bodies to be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ryanairzer wrote:
    Rate them in the order in which you'd be least happy your kids being exposed to them in say films and TV programs.

Language (most happy)
    Sex
    Drugs
    Violence (least happy)

Use the censor ratings as general guideline and you won't be too far from exposing them to anything that is inappropriate.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with any of what you mention if the child is too young to comprehend it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Strange question with no definite purpose ? It surely depends on the age of the kids, a 5 year old won't comprehend drug use or sexual images as much as they will violence or language which they may well try to copy.

Most teenagers know all the language that is used in films and if they watch films protraying drug abuse I would be happy as long as they understand it is that, misuse, ie being a bad thing that should not be seen as a way of life.

I seriously think after the age of 13/14 its hard to monitor what they absorb from TV/films and life in general and we as parents just do our best, most kids turn out OK despite, or may be because of what they watch on TV.

Advertisement