Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tall plant needed for privacy

Options
  • 28-09-2007 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

This is more of a Gardening question than DIY. Do you know of any plant that is fast at growing, and has leaves all year around, and has a pretty small root system?

I ask this because our 5 foot walls are not high enough for my liking. My neighbours are lovely, but i dont want to see their faces everytime i open the back door. I would like some more coverage above my 5 foot wall.

Maybe i could buy a plant thats already half grown cos i dont want to wait 10years for it to grow. Maybe a trellis with IVY weaved into it? If there are any expert gardeners who know of a possible plant, or solution then i'd be very greatfull.

Danke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭low

Griselinia (requires fair bit of maintenance tbh.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

try clematis (many varieties - ask in garden centre - montana is good) or honeysuckle as both are fast-growing

you'll need to put up some trellis and train/tie the plant to this as it grows - should be reasonable coverage in a year or so (plus the trellis itself acts as a screen)

which way does the wall face? some plants thrive/tolerate in full sun

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bamboo plants can grow nice and high. I have one covering up some unsightly pipes.

Clematis would probably be the quickest though, with a trellis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Don't use ivy, unless you never intend to grow anything else in that spot. As a previous poster said the way the wall faces will determine what you can grow. Some Clematis, notably Montana and Hagley Hybrid, will grow quite happily on a north facing wall but it's the exception that proves the rule and most prefer warmer aspects with more light. If, however you have a south or west facing wall and intend to use trellis,then Passion flower is a fast growing climber, a thug in some places, that will give beautiful flowers over a long period and, if the conditions are favourable will be evergreen. You could intersperse this with different varieties of Clematis and Jasmine to give a lovely show.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

thank you all very much. My 2 walls face West and South. So i'll take your helpful advice.

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

On returning to the thread, I happened to notice your location. South Korea, really? I have to say I wouldn't be too confident of the hardiness of the plants suggested as I imagine Winters would be quite cold there. BTW is that why your walls are only 5 ft. high?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Bamboo plants can grow nice and high. I have one covering up some unsightly pipes.

Clematis would probably be the quickest though, with a trellis.

AFAIK the broadleaved bamboo is better as it does not run, however the bamboo is a winner for us as a screen, panda to follow:)

Very observant of you Bmaxi....

You're right about the cold Korean winters. Also, only the extremely rich would have a garden in Korea...everyone else lives in high rise flats.

I do live in South Korea, but i'm home on vacation at the moment. So the planting will be done for my parents who live here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Bambus Metake - broadleaf Bamboo grows approx 7'0" and is relatively easy to maintain. Climbers such as Clematis are primarily deciduous and are rampant growers so would be a very odd choice for a 5' 0" screening requirement.

Italian Cypress would be a good alternative in the evergreen tree category, and although they can grow quite tall, growth can be curtailed by planting in container in ground, but with a very elegant and narrow growth habit.

You didn't mention how wide the screening requirement, if you want to have good visual impact you are spoiled for choice if you consider trained half standards ie Lollipops, eg Photinia, Camelia, Viburnum, Euonymus, Holly, Olive etc etc. A serie sof half standards is most impressive. A comparatively expensive option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I'd recommend a C. Montana. I have one, it's known for its vigourous quick growth. I believe they are not evergreen, well, maybe for a short time around the turn of the year.

do you like kimchee?

• Advertisement

....yes in fact i do like Kimchee (fermented korean cabbage). Took me about 6 months to get used to it though, its an acquired taste.

[Maybe i should plant a few tall cabagges for privacy and kimchee!]

Advertisement