Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Gamesoc

Options
  • 28-09-2007 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Due to my timetable and my being in DIT Templebar, I wasn't able to get to the gamesoc stand when there was anyone at it. So, if anyone knows how I can get in touch with someone from the society about joining, please let me know. PM me an email address or something.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

You already found me it seems :).
    If you're in Kevin ST, I'll sort you out. We were at the stand for about 7 hours both days, but the Aungier ST guys just had signups for an hour at lunch afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Oh... there's a buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

To be honest, it looks like one of the worst societies in DIT.

Binomate wrote:

Flaming things on the internets is fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Binomate wrote:

do you want to elaborate on that? or are you simply gunning for another molesting in the toilets after an internet flaming session?

• Advertisement

I was checking out their stand in Kevin St. the other day and they actually had nothing to offer. I suppose it's not really that much different to Red Soc in a way. But at least Red Soc have some hot birds trying to get you to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Binomate wrote:
    I was checking out their stand in Kevin St. the other day and they actually had nothing to offer. I suppose it's not really that much different to Red Soc in a way. But at least Red Soc have some hot birds trying to get you to join.

Also, the fact that the organisers/members weren't even at the stand to sign people up was a little off putting.
    I needed a microscope to read the "game facts":D
    Christian society ftw:rolleyes: !!1

Binomate wrote:

Sounds like they're doing a lot more then most societies.. but then what they're doing is in another thread somewhere.

Remember B&T soc? Bunch of chancers... hope they've disappeared. They were like the non-functioning Red Soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

remember the egs (electronics gamer society), they were great, their meetings consisted of a once monthly meeting to play oooh halo, and if you questioned them on what other games they played they'd basically say "pfft noob halo pwns you" :rolleyes:

the gamersoc looks like a good bit of effort has gone into it.

Halo is fail. If a game soc wants credibility they will not play console games and on the list of games they play there would want to be CS 1.6, CS:S and CoD at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

tbh a "good" gamesoc just needs to do a few sponsored events and inter-varsity LAN tourneys

Binomate wrote:

Really? What do you count as "having something to offer"?
    on the list of games they play there would want to be CS 1.6, CS:S and CoD at least.

I was one of the people who set p that Halo 3 event and I couldn't agree more, I don't think Halo is a particularly amazing game, although it is decent fun (Halo 3 really plays more like Halo 2.5), and I'm a PC gamer 100%. We just wanted the first event to be something everyone could attend and wouldn't get their arse handed to them in 5 seconds by pros (I play Quake almost exclusively, one of the guys who helped set up the society is in Anomaly for CSS, and I just got back from coming 2nd in Cod2 at Gamecon.) Our next event is going to be a CS/Quake/Starcraft one. You have my word on that.
    Halo is fail. If a game soc wants credibility they will not play console games

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Potent

Hey guys,

One of the posters here said GameSoc had nothing to offer?

I went down there on tuesday before lunch after seeing their stand on monday(I was rushed as I had a lab to get to). Anyways I was talking to one of the guys for awhile and they seemed to be setting up alot, did you even go to the stand?

This week on thursday I think, they have a Halo3 tournament down at the xbox live center for 4 hours for 14 euro which is half the normal price. We also get free membership at the xbox live center and during the tournament we aren't limited to halo3 either we can play anything.

Now I'm a huge PC gamer and was told they have one of the top ranked CS:S players and one of the top ranked BF2 players in the country which is pretty cool, so I doubt there will be a shortage of PC gaming. The guy I was talking to also said they'd organise buses to LANs and everything. They went to gamecon last week and have plans to go to interlan and midlands.

They plan to have events every 2 weeks, where they were talking about getting one of the labs with CS1.6, quake3, starcraft and one of the lecture halls with projectors for consoles, so dude... I don't see how you can say that they weren't offering anything.

AFAIK they were there all day monday and tuesday in Kevin street.

PLUS they had a Wii with a projector at the stand, that was fricken awesome!

Wii tennis FTW

P.S from the sounds of it randomcountdown is one of the admins for gamesoc so I suggest you give him some ideas to help improve the soc instead of just dissing it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are going to have huge problems getting a lab for gaming, netsoc have been trying for the last 2 years (as long as i've been in dit) and have been shot down and had to resort to snackery lans.

fair play if they do though.

DIT admin/IT/AV support seem to be a bunch of clown shoes at times. I remember one AV guy couldn't even set up a projector, and the IT labs are way too complicated... I've about four passwords for various places, rather then just being able to universally log on.

Fairplay if you get a lab set up... but I'd say you'd have to work through the mess that is IT services before you even get the option.

I've had worse to deal with, I know it's probably going to be a right bloody chore but hey, we can always try Aungier ST, it's just down the road. We have a few trick events up our sleeve to get around needing labs.

Potent wrote:
    Hey guys,

One of the posters here said GameSoc had nothing to offer?

I went down there on tuesday before lunch after seeing their stand on monday(I was rushed as I had a lab to get to). Anyways I was talking to one of the guys for awhile and they seemed to be setting up alot, did you even go to the stand?

This week on thursday I think, they have a Halo3 tournament down at the xbox live center for 4 hours for 14 euro which is half the normal price. We also get free membership at the xbox live center and during the tournament we aren't limited to halo3 either we can play anything.

Now I'm a huge PC gamer and was told they have one of the top ranked CS:S players and one of the top ranked BF2 players in the country which is pretty cool, so I doubt there will be a shortage of PC gaming. The guy I was talking to also said they'd organise buses to LANs and everything. They went to gamecon last week and have plans to go to interlan and midlands.

They plan to have events every 2 weeks, where they were talking about getting one of the labs with CS1.6, quake3, starcraft and one of the lecture halls with projectors for consoles, so dude... I don't see how you can say that they weren't offering anything.

AFAIK they were there all day monday and tuesday in Kevin street.

PLUS they had a Wii with a projector at the stand, that was fricken awesome!

Wii tennis FTW

P.S from the sounds of it randomcountdown is one of the admins for gamesoc so I suggest you give him some ideas to help improve the soc instead of just dissing it.:confused:

Lol. I'm the blondie chap, you were probably talking to me about buses to Midlans etc? We couldn't organise anything for Gamecon because it was too short notice but we went :D. Midlans I am going to be putting all my bloody heart into getting a big bus to. I go to pretty much every major LAN in Ireland, and they're bloody good fun so people shouldn't miss out.

The only problem we're having right now is that we still haven't gotten:

-Budget
    -Webspace
    -Email/Email Masks

So we're waiting for the NetSoc to get set up (I haven't even had an email off of them yet about my membership and my U: drive), then as far as I know we're getting our budget forms after socs training this weekend.

Anyways, once we get our webspace, there'll be a website set up within a few days and we'll slap up a message board and a voting system for what people would like to see at events. I got the gist of what most people play by talking to them but I want a nice big pagefull of numbers saying "X amount of people want an event about this game", so we know what to go for next.

People mainly seemed to be worried about the opposite of what I expected. I expected people to be worried we were a bunch of lads afraid of sunlight who play CS 1.6 24 hours a day, but rather people are worried we play too much consoles. I'm not a console man at all. The majority of people I know aren't console people and are pretty bloody pro competetive gamers, yes that includes people from DIT and people who are in GameSoc. The reason our first event is a console/Halo one is:

- We have no Budget yet. That means we have no equipment apart from what we've been donated/what we've put in ourselves.
    - We have no labs/rooms etc that we can use for anything yet.
    - Consoles are easy. Everyone can have a laugh, nobody's going to feel really left out because they're not good at some hardcore PC game.
    - Halo 3 just came out.

Also, just as a note, the Xbox Center place can hold about 37 people.

And for people who are worried we won't get a lab, we have some events hidden up our sleeve to pass time until we get one.

I'm off to college. kthxbaittyl.

Thanks for coming to the event guys. Bloody good fun. AAAAGH

THE ZOMBIES

NO
    DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND
    I NEED A VEHICLE
    OH GOD
    NOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pedrospuds

where are these events held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kevbyrne

I talked to some of the committee members at the socs training. They seemed to be hard-working, organised and keen on making a success of it. Several of my friends who have just started first year in DIT have joined the society and they've found their events to be brilliant.

Perhaps, "binomate", gaming just isn't your thing. It's not my thing either, nor is paintballing. But that's no reason to knock it. You should be more appreciative that these people are giving their own time to improve student life.

What society/ies are you involved with as a matter of curiosity? Or do you just prefer to slander them on forums? Because you seem to do a lot of complaining on here.

• Advertisement

Just a note. We'll be sending out a message regarding our AGM meeting (Yes, I know the M stands for meeting >_>) tomorrow. 99% chance is it'll be in K2008 in Kevin ST at 18:00. But if we get booted out of that room we'll put up a redirection sign. We'll send out a text tomorrow morning.

We also may have some very good news regarding lab gaming which would be an every week sort of thing. We'll explain at the meeting. You don't need to do any work if you come to the meeting, you could just be interested in what the society is up to, but if you want to help out many hands are better than less than many! The meeting is really to open some decent lines of communication between the people running the society and it's members, and to try and involve people more, I've heard DIT is famous for having this sort of "I signed up to a society and then never heard from them again" business, and I'd HATE for GameSoc to be seen like that.

Also, the message board should be up tomorrow. Link will be here and an email will be sent out, plus we'll mention it at the meeting.

I'm sorry for the evening time, it's the best we could do given the circumstances.

PS: We haven't been allocated our budget yet, but we have a bit of money to chuck around to tide us over so no worries there. We had arranged to go to Meath Lan but it got cancelled. >_> We are going to Gaelcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

we're going to gaelcon , thats cool ,you basically just get drunk for 2 days and play games ,cant wait. typical meath lan being called off , but yea gamesocs first event the halo 3 one in the xbox live centre was great laugh. Won me a game and got a free tee-shirt

Advertisement