Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband - Sharing Via Bluetooth or Wireless

Options
  • 28-09-2007 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi folks

Big help needed.

Recently moved back from the UK and have just moved into a house where we're told that Eircom will take 2 months in install a phone line, and even longer after that for the DSL to be switched on.

I've gone out and purchased an Irish Broadband Fixed wireless router - only to realise that is is a single connect Ethernet cable unit.

Now, I can't be arsed sitting in the same place for my BB, so need advice.

Now, I have a couple of wireless Modems (NETGEAR 834gV2 and a Zyxel B/G) and was looking to drive the DSL single in to one of these.

Else, I have a couple of laptops and desktops (all Bluetooth) and was thinking of driving the connection across Bluetooth ( i know single range will be poor).

Thoughts,Ideas, Directions to Threads?

Thanks all

Lifes A Witch

(BTW, I was getting 6Mb Line for STG£13 with 1:12 contention across the water - curse you Eircom and your pathetic LLU programme)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've gone out and purchased an Irish Broadband Fixed wireless router - only to realise that is is a single connect Ethernet cable unit.
    Is this a Ripwave modem? I guess it is since you have no phone line. I think you can connect this to a wireless router (broadband router, not a DSL modem/router) to share it in the house.
    Now, I have a couple of wireless Modems (NETGEAR 834gV2 and a Zyxel B/G) and was looking to drive the DSL single in to one of these.
    If it's Ripwave you have then it's not DSL so you can't use these routers as their WAN port is for DSL and not Ethernet.
    Else, I have a couple of laptops and desktops (all Bluetooth) and was thinking of driving the connection across Bluetooth ( i know single range will be poor).
    Possible, yes. Poor signal as you say, is Bluetooth secure at all? Bluetooth speed is quite crap too isn't it? Not really designed for computer networking.
    You could connect one of the DSL routers to a spare PC/laptop, use the PC as a router and just set the router as a bridge. Not sure how exactly you'd set this up but I believe it is possible. This could work, though you'll need two Ethernet cards in the PC, one for the Ripwave modem and one for the router.

edit:
    I've just thought of something else, is the Ripwave modem a router? Does it assign a local IP to your PC or does the PC get a public IP, so the modem is just a bridge? I'm not sure how this works. If it is a router then you can use your DSL router, just connect the Ripwave port to one of the Ethernet ports on the DSL router, disable it's DHCP and you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

I was kind of wondering the exact same thing myself, so i cant give you answer, but am hoping some young bright spark will answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Been answered many times.
    You need an ethernet WAN router (with or without WiFi). If it has a socket for phoneline / DSL (ADSL modem built in) in it is the wrong kind of router.

www.komplett.ie routers
    Argos call them Cable Routers
    PC World only sometimes stocks them.

The modem *IS* just a modem, it doesn't need a bridge mode as it doesn't route at all. It does assign an IP via DHCP. But only one. Your ethernet port on add on router (NOT one of the 4 ethernet switch ports) get its IP via DHCP. It's irrelevent if it is a real public IP or a private one to IBB network. The addon router then either uses its own DHCP to give you a dynamic local IP or you can use static. Netgear tends to be 192.168.1.x range by default and Dlink 192.168.0.x range by default.
    The Router's LAN ip is then the DNS and gateway IPs for every device on your LAN.

We should sticky this, but no-one would read it.
    All this applies to Cable Modems, 3G/HSDPA gateways*, Breeze, Metro etc, everything that is not xDSL via phone. Some systems need a PPPoE username and password instead of plain vanilla DHCP.

(* 3G need routers with PCMCIA or USB and the 3G dongle modem drivers built in)

Advertisement