Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadburys Wispa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Spar just down from Glasnevin cemertary has them. Went into get milk last night and noticed a massive void in the middle of the counter, low and behold there were 3 Wispas at the bottom of it. I bought all 3.

So maybe I should rephrase my post to Spar just down from Glasnevin cemertary doesnt have them.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

just got one and eating it now mmmmm. spar in saggart have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

local shop just got them, when i picked up 3 the girl asked was i the guy who asked the owner to order them in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Centra's don't seem to be stocking them, whereas the Spar's do. However I looked in 4 three different shops today and no-one had any, which was kinda crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

ok i'll have to get one tomorrow, see what all the fuss is about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got another 2 for supper... nyum-nyum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

basquille wrote:
    Got another 2 for supper... nyum-nyum!
    Which Mace is that, Basquille, before you eat them all! :eek:

Shamrok wrote:
    Which Mace is that, Basquille, before you eat them all! :eek:
    The one at the bottom of Mercy Hill.. there was a few left in there but probably will be nabbed by the Mercy-goer's tomorrow! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My recollections of Whispa are quite limited, but I certainly had one or two in my childhood. As a group of college colleagues were all excited when they found out our Spar in DCU were stocking them, I gave one a try too. Twas quite light and nice, if hardly the ultimate chocolate bar.

But then I came here and read of this Whispa Gold. For some reason I started salivating, even though I do not remember it exactly. Perhaps it was one Summers day as a wee lad I had one. But I must try one - I think my subconscious remembers them very clearly, even if I dont.

Wispa Gold was by far the nicest.. but no plans to bring them back as far as i know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I didnt even know wispas were gone until a few weeks ago when all this bring back the wispa started, then i had to go get some like everyone else. Apparently they were only discontinued 4 years ago. Maybe it was some great ply by the marketing department of Cadbuys to advertise thru free websites - if so it was a great idea and someone will be getting a big bonus.

ITN - Wednesday, October 10 05:39 pmEighties favourite - the Wispa - is back by popular demand.

Cadbury has agreed to re-launch the chocolate bar in response to calls from internet campaigners.

It is putting around 23 million Wispas on sale from this week, four years after the bar was dropped due to declining sales.

More than 14,000 Facebook members lobbied the confectionary giant to "bring back Wispa".

Online campaigns were also held on social networking sites Bebo, MySpace and YouTube.

Wispa bars were launched as trial product in the Tyne Tees area in 1981 and rolled out nationally two years later.

Their return has been welcomed by actress Rula Lenska, who appeared in one of the original Wispa commercials alongside then-husband Dennis Waterman.

She said: "It is bringing back an iconic thing from the Eighties due to huge public demand. It was certainly my beloved chocolate bar then and I was devastated to see it go. But as so often happens, the good things do tend to come back in a circle."

Describing the 1980s, she added: "It was probably one of the happiest times of my life. I knew who I was, my career was going well and I had a young, very beautiful daughter. It was a really great time for music, fashion, everything really."

Centra on Bolton Street finally has them in and they are a hefty 16c cheaper than Spar. I paid 79c which I thought was very reasonable compared to Spar's 95c.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Really? I find Centra tends to overcharge more than Spars.

I've just started working in a shop and it's really funny seeing people coming up the counter and going "Ohhh, Wispas!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

had one yesterday, they're ok, not up there with even a twix tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MooseJam wrote: »
    had one yesterday, they're ok, not up there with even a twix tbh

Get the hell out of this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

I don't want to throw this thread off topic but now that I've had a Wispa I now have a ridiculous craving for a Sky ice cream bar.:mad:

Anyone remember them? Chocolate on the outside, ice cream inside and then had like an Aero in the middle of the ice cream!! YUM!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

homerjk wrote: »
    I don't want to throw this thread off topic but now that I've had a Wispa I now have a ridiculous craving for a Sky ice cream bar.:mad:

Anyone remember them? Chocolate on the outside, ice cream inside and then had like an Aero in the middle of the ice cream!! YUM!!

They were amazing! (i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I finally found them the other day, then put it in my pocket and the bloodly thing melted on me. Didn't taste nearly as nice so I gave it away, at least I know where to find them now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Oh my god I just had my first Wispa in I dont know how many years dipped into my tea,It was lush.Worth waiting for:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have a londis and got a delivery of 10 cases on wednesday. They are nearly gone so I rang my cadbury rep to order 50 more. They are being rationed by cadburys so all I can have is 6 - yes - 6 cases. I ordered 50 anyway. Who knows how many I can have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dunnes Stores on Exchequer St/South Great Georges Street had loads when I was in there the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I still haven't had a wispa....how long will they be on sale for?!

Also are they bringing back wispa gold?

And will there be wispa easter eggs this easter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Remember it's only a 4 month test of the market so if you want them around for good get buying box's of them!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh god, spent the weekend in England. From Friday to today, I must have had about twenty wispas. My mouth is watering thinking of them even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh god, spent the weekend in England. From Friday to today, I must have had about twenty wispas. My mouth is watering thinking of them even now.
    I Lol'd.

Wispa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    For the acronym, see WISPA.
    180px-New_Wispa_Bar.jpg magnify-clip.png
    A "new" Wispa Bar

Wispa is a chocolate bar made by Cadbury for the U.K. and Ireland market. Subtypes of this bar included Wispa Gold (caramel filling), Wispa Bite (caramel and biscuit filling), Wispaccino (coffee filling) and Wispa Mint (mint layer).[1]
    The bar was launched in 1981 as a trial version in the Tyne-Tees area of North East England and with its success it was introduced nationally in 1983.[2] It was seen as a competitor to Nestle's Aero.[3] The bar was seen as a favourite and an icon of the 80s[2][4] despite this the product had declining sales and the product was discontinued as the Wispa in 2003 but, helped by an Internet campaign, it has been relaunched.[2]
    In 2003 after its discontinuation Cadbury, in an effort to re-brand its chocolate, brought the Wispa back onto market as Dairy Milk Bubbly, slightly reformulated, and under the Dairy Milk brand.[1][4] In 2007 Cadbury relaunched Wispa.
    Contents

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wispa&action=edit&section=1"]edit[/URL Relaunch

Since the discontinuation of the Wispa bar in 2003, several Internet campaigns and an online petition to bring it back slowly gained momentum. During Iggy Pop's 2007 performance at Glastonbury, several Wispa fans invaded the stage armed with rifles, spears and a burning flag saying "Bring Back Wispa."[3] In addition, several "Bring Back Wispa" groups on Bebo, MySpace and Facebook were set up.[5] In August 2007, these campaigns prompted Cadbury to announce that the bar would be relaunched on October 8, 2007[6][2] for an initial limited production of 23 million bars, with a permanent return possible if sales are high enough.[2][7] Predictions that the relaunched product would be marketed as 'Wispa Classic'[8] proved unfounded, and the new Wispa hit shelves in October 2007 in packaging virtually identical to that of the original bar.
    On the 24 August 2007, the first box of the relaunched Wispas was put up for auction on Ebay with a press release from Cadbury saying that the auction is real and that the proceeds are going toward the Cadbury Charity, Ghana for the Source.[6]

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wispa&action=edit&section=2"]edit[/URL How Wispas are made

The tiny bubbles within the chocolate are formed by aerating the molten chocolate with gas, typically carbon dioxide or nitrogen while at a low pressure which causes microscopic gas bubbles to form within the liquid. The liquid is then brought up to atmospheric pressure as it cools, causing the gas pockets to expand and become trapped in the chocolate.[9]

homerjk wrote: »

Ooohh I remember them, they were indeed delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

dont mean to sound greedy, but

i bought 11 of them in waterford last week end. - only 80c i was well chuffed

They're plentiful now anyways.

Every time i've seen them, i've bought (at least) one! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

AdrianII wrote: »
    dont mean to sound greedy, but

i bought 11 of them in waterford last week end. - only 80c i was well chuffed
    eleven wispas for 80c? well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

i know i saw them in a shop in the box!had one on friday!soooo good!why the hell did they ever do away with them!
    i dnt remember any wispa mint...

Advertisement