Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFPro World XI Nominees

• 28-09-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

http://fifpro.org/files/original/shortlist55.jpg

A bit rubbish to be honest, too many players in there on merit only...

So what team would you pick?

Given it should be based on last seasons performances mostly, I would give it to:

Cech
    Alves...Vidic...Nesta...Abidal
    Ronaldo..Kaka..Essien..Seedorf
    Totti...Drogba

It hurts me to leave out Messi, Ramos and Pirlo...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Archimedes wrote:
    http://fifpro.org/files/original/shortlist55.jpg

A bit rubbish to be honest, too many players in there on merit only...

So what team would you pick?

I presume you meant reputation :D

I'd agree with most of them as a shortlist, but a few stick out as absurd.

Dida
    Van Der Sar
    Ferdinand
    Cannavaro
    Maldini
    Beckham
    Makalele

Unless it is based on performance from 2003/4.

The real question has to be, where are the South American based players?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

thats more like the money list rather than the top players list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I dont think Beckham should be counted as absurd, he was amazing last season...

Inzaghi, Ashley Cole, Roberto Carlos, Deco and Henry dont deserve to be there either imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dida was good, as was VDS last season. Ferdinand was fantastic last season, and Cannavaro wasn't half bad either. Maldini was injured for a lot, but was amazing in the CL. Beckham if anybody says he shouldn't be there is just talking absolute ****. If anybody watched him towards the end of lsat season, you'd realise just how absurd a statement that is. Makalele wasn't great last year, Cole wasn't great, anywhere near as good as he has been in the past. Henry was injured most of last year, so I don't understand why he's there.

Archimedes wrote:

http://www.realmadrid.com/articulo/rma25634.htm

I wouldn't say 3 goals and 5 assists amaze me

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say you watched any Madrid matches in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

nipplenuts wrote:
    http://www.realmadrid.com/articulo/rma25634.htm

I wouldn't say 3 goals and 5 assists amaze me

Sorry did you watch him at all? That statement is just absolutely ludicrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Archimedes wrote:

Inzaghi, Ashley Cole, Roberto Carlos, Deco and Henry dont deserve to be there either imo.

Exactly...none of them above with the exception of VDS. Id go for this

..............Cech....................
    Alves...Vidic...Nesta...Abidal...
    Messi..Kaka..Essien..Ronaldo...
    ........Berbatov...Drogba.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Beckham did some good things when he was played, but he was largely left out for most of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

given that the voting won't result in a balanced team, and has to be 433, I would gues at the following.

Dida

Alves,
    Vidic,
    Nesta,
    Ramos

Ronaldo
    Seedorf
    Kaka

Messi
    Totti
    Drogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    Sorry did you watch him at all? That statement is just absolutely ludicrous

Beckham improved his form at Madrid vastly but it still doesnt warrant him a place here. Mind you, you could say that for alot of players. Paul Scholes was decent last season too but he shouldnt be on that list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

ooh-ee, I love these pointless football arguments! They just go around and around! Bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

This is always the same..pure crap. How is De Rossi or Cambiasso not on that list? Good to see Iniesta(who is amazing, better than Cesc) make it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1) Beckham was regal last year. His last 8 - 10 games were genuinely astonishing.

2) Vidic starting at Centre - Half would be lolol.

Why would a centre back playing centre back be "lolol" (and could you explain what lolol means...)

Tauren wrote:
    Why would a centre back playing centre back be "lolol" (and could you explain what lolol means...)
    laugh out loud - a lot.

By playing him at centre - half in this team, you would be insinuating that he was one of the two best players in the world at his position last season? lolol.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    laugh out loud - a lot.

By playing him at centre - half in this team, you would be insinuating that he was one of the two best players in the world at his position last season? lolol.

Oh the glorious joys of opinion.

Who do you rate higher last season as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

No Reina in the goalkeepers? Cech missed loads of last season. I can't see how he'd be included, whereas Reina (for the 2nd year running) got the Golden Gloves. Strange.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    1) Beckham was regal last year. His last 8 - 10 games were genuinely astonishing.

2) Vidic starting at Centre - Half would be lolol.

Surely a season is more than 8-10 games. Look, I agree the end of season form of Beckham was great. But I'm sure many here can offer better alternatives for the list - over the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I am picking from the list. But I am shocked Reina isn't in there.

Dida

Abidal
    Vidic
    Chivu
    Carvalho

Kaka
    Seedorf
    Essien
    Ronaldo

Villa
    Toni

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    laugh out loud - a lot.

so, it should be lola then....god damn i hate text speak.

Well, he was considered by most to be one of the two best centre backs in the premiership last season. there aren't many I would put above him, Nesta would be one but then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Dida is barely the best keeper at milan cant stand the guy
    winning the CL with him in goal was like a boxer winning the world title with one hand tied behind his back.
    complete liability and has been the last 3 years or so

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This is always the same..pure crap. How is De Rossi or Cambiasso not on that list? Good to see Iniesta(who is amazing, better than Cesc) make it though.
    Yeah, keep beating that drum.

These things are always a load of crap, frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Dont agree that Beckham should be on the list. he played a few half decent games near the end of last season. He started to do what he is best at - crossing the ball. for the two years previous he thought of himself as a centre midfielder and sulked when put on the wing. I watched most of his last few games for mardid and he was good but not outstanding. Doesnt make up for the crap games he played for most ofthe past 2 seasons.

A lot of the players are in that list because of their name, but its always he same when these things come out.

VDS was mediocre last season, dida wasnt any better. Makalele shouldnt be in the list. Cannavaro was brutal for Madrid last season and Maldini only played a handful of games.
    m2c

Archimedes wrote:
    Who do you rate higher last season as a matter of interest?
    Terry
    Nesta
    Carragher
    Chivu
    Tauren wrote:
    Well, he was considered by most to be one of the two best centre backs in the premiership last season. there aren't many I would put above him, Nesta would be one but then...

What most people think is irrelevant. Nesta is an infinitely better player than Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How Abidal is on the list amazes me. And people have picked them in their XI! He's shocking and only just marginally above Djimi Traore in terms of ability. Carlos and Makelele shouldn't be there either. Oh and don't get me started on Seedorf. That guy just frustrates me everytime I watch Milan play. He's just so damn lazy.

As for my team, I'd have -

Buffon

Chivu
    Cannavaro
    Nesta

Xavi
    Pirlo
    Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Messi----
    Drogba
    Totti

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Cech

Vidic
    Ramos
    Alves
    Ayala

Kaka
    Essien
    C. Ronaldo

Drogba
    Totti
    Ronaldinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Van De Sar

Alves
    Puyol
    Cannavaro
    Lahm----

Iniesta
    Essien
    Gerrard

Kaka

Messi
    Eto'o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Capello publicly stated early on last season that Beckham would not play for Madrid again. At the Christmas break Madrid lost 3 out of 4 games and Capello was to get the sack if they failed to win the next. Capello caved to public opinion and did a u-turn. Beckham was recalled and low and behold went on to score a great free-kick that ultimately kept Capello in his job and won them the title. Madrid's run of 9 wins in their last 10 games was largely down to the inspirational form of Beckham and I must have watched all of them. "Cup Finals" they were billed as by Capello.

If you also take into account the parallels at international level then I think it's fair to say Beckham had a remarkable season, and Madrid would not have won the league without him or even come close.

The fans in Madrid are as unforgiving and as fickle as any, so the hero's ovation they afforded him and esteem they held him in during his 4 years there should say a lot to the sceptics who always doubt his ability.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Terry
    Nesta
    Carragher
    Chivu

What most people think is irrelevant. Nesta is an infinitely better player than Vidic.
    Terry missed a decent chuink of last season, and wasn't at his best for some of it too. On top form terry is better, Last season Terry wasn't on top form and Vidic was, Vidic had a better season imo. I'd certainly rate him over Chivu and Carragher too. As for nesta, I already said he was better so what the hell is your point with that one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Van De Sar

Alves
    Puyol
    Cannavaro
    Lahm----

Iniesta
    Essien
    Gerrard

Kaka

Messi
    Eto'o

Your centre backs are both under 6 foot, both slow and one of them just had the worst season of his entire career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Dida is barely the best keeper at milan cant stand the guy
    winning the CL with him in goal was like a boxer winning the world title with one hand tied behind his back.
    complete liability and has been the last 3 years or so
    Rubbish , I've said it on other forums but Dida is a fine goalkeeper one of the best around

Dida is fairly savage lads, out of interest, how many of you rate seedorf?
    Seems to me most PL fans think he is "Sh!te, past it, waste of space" fact is he is one of milans most important players.

Same goes for dida, he has the odd bad game, but no more than Lehman, Van Der Saar, Valdes or Iker.

Even Shay Given has bad games lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

From the List:

Casillas

Zambrotta
    Nesta
    Ramos
    Chivu

C.Ronaldo
    Seedorf
    Kaka

Ronaldinho
    Drogba
    Van Nistelrooy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

From the List:

Casillas

Zambrotta
    Nesta
    Ramos
    Chivu

C.Ronaldo
    Seedorf
    Kaka

Ronaldinho
    Drogba
    Van Nistelrooy

im with you on that one!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote:
    Dida is fairly savage lads, out of interest, how many of you rate seedorf?
    Seems to me most PL fans think he is "Sh!te, past it, waste of space" fact is he is one of milans most important players.

As I already stated in an earlier post I can't stand him. He's a bluffer. Certainly he has ability, no denying that, but he uses it for maybe 5 of the 90 minutes in a game. He's unbelievably lazy, plays some woeful passes, doesn't help his left back when playing wide and is generally completely overrated.

Clarence Seedorf is one of the hearest working midefielders on the planet, he routinely covers over 11k a match.

Is a great passer of the ball, scores his fair share a year, covers back a LOT.

The last 5 games of last years CL he was playing just behind Kaka and Inzaghi/Gila as an advanced attacking midfeilder, and was a beast, before that he played on the left of a 3 man midfeild , just ahead of gattauso and pirlo.

This isn't CM, this is rel life, he isn't a left winger, he is just the left sided centre mid.

Seaneh wrote:
    Clarence Seedorf is one of the hearest working midefielders on the planet, he routinely covers over 11k a match.
    Covers most of it by walking/jogging slowly.
    Seaneh wrote:
    Is a great passer of the ball, scores his fair share a year
    Yeah he passes the ball well and scores goals when he tries which is, as I said, for 5 of every 90 mins.
    Seaneh wrote:
    This isn't CM, this is rel life, he isn't a left winger, he is just the left sided centre mid.
    Yes and in real life he's a lazy player. Maybe he's just past it fitness wise but I can't stand watching him no matter how much you try defend him.

Seedorf is the Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Xavi6 wrote:
    Covers most of it by walking/jogging slowly.
    Oh god.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I love United fans who bang on about Vidic and Ferdinand being 2 of the best centre halves in the world. Neither of them are even close to the top 10 in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Melion wrote:
    I love United fans who bang on about Vidic and Ferdinand being 2 of the best centre halves in the world. Neither of them are even close to the top 10 in the world

Both are definitely world class...not sure where I'd rate them overall, but easily among the best out there!

Out of interest, what say 20 or more centre halves do you think are much better than both of them?

Nunu wrote:
    Both are definetly World Class...not sure where I'd rate them overall, but easily among the best out there!

Out of interest, what 20 or more centre halves do you think are much better than both of them?

Ferdinand is far from world class, Vidic might be in 2-3 years if he keeps playing consistently.

As for better centre halves:

Terry
    Puyol
    Sergio Ramos
    Cannavaro
    Nesta
    Carragher
    Kolo Toure
    Carvalho(even though i hate him)
    Nesta
    Lucio
    Mexes
    Milito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye thats a good list alright but you had to include Nesta twice;)

Vidic and Ferdinand just as good as most of them. I'd have only Nesta, Terry and Carvalho(just about) as better than them.

edit: incidently I rate Ferdinand higher than Vidic.

Nunu wrote:
    Ye thats a good list alright but you had to include Nesta twice;)

Vidic and Ferdinand just as good as most of them. I'd have only Nesta, Terry and Carvalho(just about) as better than them.

Oh, thats just how good he is ;)

I just dont rate Ferdinand at all. He just doesnt have the heart that the majority of the defenders i mentioned do. He's good and stylish on the ball but he wouldnt put his body on the line which i like centre halves to do.

Vidic will be up there as i said, IMO he just needs another season or 2 as good as he had last year

DSB wrote:
    Oh god.

You seriously telling me he works his bo**ox off for 90 minutes? He's a good player but lazy and I don't like lazy players, hence my disliking of Seedorf.

Lazy my hole.
    To cover 11k in 90 mibnutes you'd have to be running constantly.

his tackles per game rate and interceptions per game rate are as high as ambrosini's! the man is a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Seedorf is the Business.

Xavi6, did you actually do any research on your claims that Seedorf is ****e? Because nearly every stat out there indicates that you couldnt be more wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Seedorf's really underrated. You need to really watch him in a match. If you're just watching it down in the pub as a nuetral you might think the game has passed him by. It's the same for my well known favourite player but when you actually watch him solely, on and off the ball, you realise what he offers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement