Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radiohead - LP Seven

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Most elaborate rickroll of all time methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Well that website turned out to be a rickroll alright.

But today Radiohead announced their new album title: In Rainbows.

It's out in 10 days and you can pay however much you want for it. :D

http://www.inrainbows.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

just heard about this today, i hope all the fans buy direct from the site as opposed to the shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I heard that, as nowadays CD sales have slumped so much as downloaded music takes over (it is said that for every one album sold, 9 are downloaded free of charge), that the new Radiohead album is free to anyone to download, and they ask you make a donation for however much you want.

Since Prince launched his latest album by giving it away free to the readers of the Mail on Sunday, and as downloading music free is more and more commonplace, what will this mean for the music industry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jawlie wrote:
    Since Prince launched his latest album by giving it away free to the readers of the Mail on Sunday, and as downloading music free is more and more commonplace, what will this mean for the music industry?
    Possibly that bands will now make most of their money through touring perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the site to register has been down a fair bit lately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Stylish way to distribute music! What will it mean for the music industry?! Well, it's bad news for the middle layer of suits that have traditionally had the power and it marks another milestone towards bands selling direct to their fans.

There will always be a need for promotions companies etc etc, but if this kind of business model can save us from the conveyor belt of samey samey music that's been piped in our direction since New Kids On The Block, then it can only be a good thing.

By they way, how much did you pay? I gave a fiver, thinking that it's more than the band probably got from my purchases of The Bends and others.

I just checked that site, it's £40 to order the Album (Discbox) Surely that's taking the p1ss!!??!
    I would imagine that a lot of diehard fans would want the album rather than the download and therefore the real fans are getting hit the hardest. Site looks dodgy as fúck too. Might just be a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Radiohead have always had crappy sites. ALWAYS! Plus the £40 thing aint so bad for the amount of crap you get with it.

• Advertisement

Radiohead have always had crappy sites. ALWAYS! Plus the £40 thing aint so bad for the amount of crap you get with it.
    Just read on pitchfork what you actually get and it seems fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm not exactly a die-hard Radiohead fan, so if this was being released 'normally' like any other CD, I might have just downloaded it somewhere.

Then they offer it as a free download and I actually pay for it! :D

plazzTT wrote:
    I'm not exactly a die-hard Radiohead fan, so if this was being released 'normally' like any other CD, I might have just downloaded it somewhere.

Then they offer it as a free download and I actually pay for it! :D
    :D That's the weird thing, I'd be the same!!

Yeah, me three. For me, that's because of a sense of guilt about downloading illegally, so I haven't done much of that in a long time. That said, it could take me years to listen to all the stuff that I do have on mp3!

I just like this model. I'm buying from the band. So, the most important people in the transaction are me and WASTE Products Ltd, who presumably represent the band. And not some soulless company like Sony-BMG who will only back a band if they have a high percentage of success and fit neatly into an existing or new pigeonhole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

ordered the disc box yesterday but got no email confirmation (maybe because it's hotmail).

anyone else get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

No not yet, I think it said the emails would be out by next Wednesday, i.e. the day it's available to download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi Folks, would appreciate if someone wouldn't mind answering these stupid questions:

- Can I trust this site? Why?
    - I'm a diehard fan. The £40 is worth it for the diskbox? What extra stuff am I getting?
    - If I understand correctly, by buying the diskbox I will have a CD delivered after Dec 8; and will be able to download the album immediately on October 10? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance folks.

Try going to radiohead.com and then you'll see why I think we can trust the inrainbows site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Hi Folks, would appreciate if someone wouldn't mind answering these stupid questions:

- Can I trust this site? Why?
    - I'm a diehard fan. The £40 is worth it for the diskbox? What extra stuff am I getting?
    - If I understand correctly, by buying the diskbox I will have a CD delivered after Dec 8; and will be able to download the album immediately on October 10? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance folks.

A) Yes
    Ive used waste to buy tickets for radiohaeds club shows before and got them ok
    B) Im buying it
    Your geting the album on Cd and Double 12" Vinyl an enhanced cd with 8 extra tracks lots of extra artwork etc and included postage.
    If you will be using the Vinyl its worth it, if not It wont be IMO
    C)Yes that is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    ordered the disc box yesterday but got no email confirmation (maybe because it's hotmail).

anyone else get one?

I got one about ten minutes after I placed my order today, just an order code and what I paid, no links or anything to the download yet. Check your spam folder and if it's not there maybe email inrainbows@waste.uk.com to make sure your order went through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Mailed them and details of a link on how to track it. Order went through ok.

Disc box is good value. I've bought all the albums on LP and CD so far - nice to get them in the one package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah, especially good value considering there was no shipping charge! Looking forward to hearing how the album sounds, I wonder will there be a radical change in their approach to music as well as their approach to sales?

Advertisement