Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46 Warning Light

Options
  • 28-09-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

From this morning I'm getting a warning light & beeping.

Its a red circle with exclamation mark in the middle, and two outer arcs. When the car is moving continuously (ie open roads) there is no beeping, but anytime the car comes to a complete stop, when I start moving again it beeps for about 15 seconds, unless I come to a complete stop again.

Anyone know what this means?. I'm presuming its something to do with the handbrake?. Perhaps a sensor thinks the handbrake is still on when I start moving?. The handbrake seems ok, so if its this, is it likely that if I get the warning light reset I should be ok? (unless I presume the sensor is terminally faulty and just sets the warning again).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stky10 wrote:

Its a red circle with exclamation mark in the middle, and two outer arcs. When the car is moving continuously (ie open roads) there is no beeping, but anytime the car comes to a complete stop, when I start moving again it beeps for about 15 seconds, unless I come to a complete stop again.

Anyone know what this means?. I'm presuming its something to do with the handbrake?. Perhaps a sensor thinks the handbrake is still on when I start moving?. The handbrake seems ok, so if its this, is it likely that if I get the warning light reset I should be ok? (unless I presume the sensor is terminally faulty and just sets the warning again).

I presume you don't have your user manual in the car to check what the warning's for? Off the top of my head, it does sound like the handbrake warning light, unless a different one comes up when you do pull the handbrake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

eoin_s wrote:
    I presume you don't have your user manual in the car to check what the warning's for?

Yup, only happened this morning when I sat in. User manual is emmm somewhere...

But yeah.. no other light comes on when I use the handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Stky10 wrote:

You brake pads may need changing, check the manual it tells you what every warning light means.

Just read you are missing your manual, if you haven't found out after lunch I'll go out and check my manual for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stky10 wrote:
    Yup, only happened this morning when I sat in. User manual is emmm somewhere...

But yeah.. no other light comes on when I use the handbrake.

I don't know about the e46, but in some cars, the handbrake light will come on if brake fluid is low / brake pads are worn, so it may not be a simple sensor problem.

I've an e46 as well, so will check the manual this evening. In the meantime, check out http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/ - some very helpful folks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It may also mean that you need to flush your brake fluid; recommended every 2 years on BMWs, and I know that there is a warning light for it. May also be pads, as mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The pad wear sensor on the e46 is Yellow, so it's not that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just checked the manual there - one thing is Check Brake Fluid Level. It advises to stop the car immediately and get it checked.

Though from what you are describing, its probably the handbrake. The light will come on and there will be a warning sound if you accelerate away with the handbrake applied. Even a little. I'd get that checked aswell. Might not be releasing properly.

Advertisement