Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qs on frame build

Options
  • 28-09-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I'm having a frame built up and I've got a few questions that hopefully someone here could answer.

- rear-dropout spacing: I have a choice to make between 126/130/135mm (Thinking 130mm)
    - brake depth: 39mm / 49-47mm / 57mm (Thinking 49mm, as I have no requirement for mudguards, and it seems to be standard when you look at calipers)

I think with everything else on the order specifications I understand the ramifications etc. With regards these two, I'm not sure if I'm limiting myself in some way or causing potential future problems down the line.

It's a road frame, which I intend to use for leisure cycling rather than racing, with a view to long-distance riding.

Any comments appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

beans wrote:
    - rear-dropout spacing: I have a choice to make between 126/130/135mm (Thinking 130mm)
    - brake depth: 39mm / 49-47mm / 57mm (Thinking 49mm, as I have no requirement for mudguards, and it seems to be standard when you look at calipers)

130mm is the standard spacing for road hubs these days. 135mm would allow you to use mtb hubs but there's not much point in that.

Are you sure you don't want mudguards? Depends on what kind of "long distance" cycling your'e doing, but if it's Audax style events then mudguards will keep you a lot happier.

47-49mm is standard reach for road brakes - they're easier to get and will let you use larger tyres than 39mm. 57mm is long reach and will make fitting mudgards easier, but you should still be able to fit them with 49mm, depending on the frame/tyres

Where are you having the frame made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The frame is being built at Mercian Cycles in Derby.

Audax is my ultimate goal alright. Just thinking back to this years Paris-Brest-Paris, perhaps the option of mudguards would be a good idea after all...

Thanks for the feedback. I nearly have everything finalised in my mind, then something else comes up. I'm thinking long-distance in terms of potential years I'll be riding it as well as km cycled, so I want to get it just right.

Now... what frickin' colour to go for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Lovely frames, those Mercians, in an old-school kind of way.

You might as well have mudguard (and rack) eyelets on the frame - you mightn't use them right away but it'll make the frame more versatile. They should be able to confirm the brake-reach needed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

They're a hard bunch to get in touch with. Emails going un-answered, phones constantly engaged. If I hadn't heard so many glowing, adoring references from people I would be tempted to say their customer service sucks. That's why I'm asking these questions here.

I'm in no rush, so I'm happy to keep prodding them from time to time. Frame should be ready by Valentine's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Ah a Mercian! Brilliant bikes. I love them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement