Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network problems

Options
  • 28-09-2007 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Trying to set up a small home network. Two computers, and the internet.

I'm using a Dell 8400 using Windows XP, A couple of years old at this stage, a Dell Inspiron laptop, also windows xp, and NTL Broadband.

I'm also using a coupld of zyxel homeplug ethernet adapters http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-and-wi-fi/zyxel-pl-100-homeplug/4505-3243_7-32018424.html.

So, originally I had the usb from the ntl internet hub (?) going into the back of the desktop. A network cable going into the back of the ntl yoke, leading into the zyxel box. At the other end I had the laptop connected to the other zyxel box, and both plugged into the mains.
    So I could access the internet, but could not set up a network to share files or printers.

So then I had the great idea of connecting the zyxel box straight into the desktop using the ethernet cable. This allowed me to set up a network and share out folders and what not.

But then I could only use the internet on the laptop when the desktop computer was switched on. So I thought I'd use a switch. That way I'd have constant access to the internet with the laptop, and when the desktop is on I can have the network.

So got hold of a linksys sd205, a 5 port unmanaged switch.

Connected desktop and ntl directly to the switch, and also the zyxel box. Laptop plugged in at downstairs can access the internet.

So ... basically, how do I get my desktop to access the internet through the switch, and allow me to set up a network?

Or is this just not possible?

(sorry for the longwinded explanation)

However, When using the switch the Desktop can't access either network or

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You'd need to have it laid out something like this for it all to work happily:

NTL---->Router(NAT)---->SWITCH---Zyxel=======Zyxel----laptop
    ..............................................|
    ..............................................|
    ...........................................Desktop.

ignore ........ , theyre just there to make it line up.

The router needs to have NAT enabled.

Advertisement