Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3-Series OR Merc C-class

Options
  • 28-09-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a second hand car within the next few months ... budget about €35,000. I have my choice narrowed down to either a BMW 3-series or a Merc C-class but cant decide. I've also been given conflicting opinions.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you driven both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Yes ... test driven both. But test drives were short enough and under different driving conditions. Drove the BMW along bendy quiet country roads on a lovely sunny day and the Merc down along a busy Long Mile Road in the rain!! Difficult to compare to be honest, but I preferred the BMW ... slightly!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you could just about get a nice late model 3 series for that money but would be in the old dated c class. So it has to be the BMW of those two.

I wouldn't go for either myself but I'll not bother with going on about cars you didn't ask about, there will be plenty of muppets alomng to do that shortly I'm sure!

Did you drive/are you considering the current model 3 series (the E90) or the previous one (the E46)? Personally, i'd prefer an E90 to the last model C-class, but i'd take the Mercedes over the E46.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Firstly I would say never mind the rubbish you'll get about Mercs being geriatrics cars - they aren't.

Secondly I would say I have driven both and the last model C-class is not the measure of the 3 series I'm afraid, actually I thought it wasn't the measure of the last Mondeo tbh and the fact the 01-03 Mercs started having quality issues compounds my opinion that the E46 is a better car.

Although there is a lot to be said for the 1.8 Kompressor engine if I was to have either car I would have a 320d.

If you were talking about the latest model I believe it might not e so cut and dried, but for your budget thats not really where we are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

did you know that there's a new merc c class just out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

From personal experience the post MY04 W203 C-Class's are fine cars, no issues with them.

Depending on the spec they are as much a drivers car as the E46, but a C180 Elegance Auto would be quite different to a C200K 6sp Avantgarde.

If you decide you want auto, go with the MB, its better than the BM box.

As the guys have said, there are plenty out there, just observe the spec and see what you can get for your money.

Out of those mentioned the E90 probably drives the best buy IMO it looks the most basic and plain. There are good deals on high spec C-Classes now so you might get more for your money !

Get test driving !

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

You are purchasing a car a few years old IMO with that sort of money for a little bit extra you can have a Alfa 159 brand new. They are competing with the 3 series with this car. It's a way nicer car than the BMW IMO. I haven't mentioned the Merc cos that's in a different league and that's a fantastic looking car too. Just my 0.02c worth

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

here we go....

MercMad wrote:

If you decide you want auto, go with the MB

I would second that - and probably go as far as to say I wouldn't buy a Merc without an auto box.

Although I really liked the 320d auto's I tried - they seem a good match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

RobAMerc wrote:
    Firstly I would say never mind the rubbish you'll get about Mercs being geriatrics cars - they aren't.

Come on, the last C class was as desirable as a blue rinse :D:D:D

The new C class looks a match for the BMW 3 Series but you'll be needing 50K plus. With 35K you'll get the newer 3 ( the E90 ) or the last C. I would have thought that the depreciation on the 3 would be much slower than the old Merc C.

I had a E46 320, the car was superb, only issue I had was that the boot was poor for getting golf clubs or luggage into. Not sure if they rectified this on the E90.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

copacetic wrote:
    you could just about get a nice late model 3 series for that money but would be in the old dated c class. So it has to be the BMW of those two.

I wouldn't go for either myself but I'll not bother with going on about cars you didn't ask about, there will be plenty of muppets alomng to do that shortly I'm sure!

I wouldn't buy the merc- IMO the C in question will prove to be not the most desirable when the history books are written. The previous C was nicer IMO.

What copacetic means is there will soon be people along wondering how all the fine offerings from competing firms are dismissed out of hand? You are sure you want nothing bigger/ smaller/ sportier/ more comfortable/ faster/ economical?

I'd feel backed into a corner if these were my only choices- they're practically the same car on paper

€35k is a spicy meatball, OP- surely you must have done a lot of soul searching to come to the conclusion it's this or that.....

Here's my €35k merc of choice;
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=663116

cantdecide wrote:

Thats a nice motor and better than the C class IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I wouldn't buy the merc- IMO the C in question will prove to be not the most desirable when the history books are written. The previous C was nicer IMO.

...........very true !

I've just bought my second W202, then again I prefer the E36 to the E46 !

I wouldn't like a 4cyl. diesel...............by ANY manufacturer though !

RobAMerc wrote:
    Thats a nice motor and better than the C class IMO.
    I recently saw a W124 Mercedes 500E with one owner and 30k kms for €35,000.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Everyone on this site will offer an opinion OP, but the only one that counts, is yours. Go drive both as Anan1 suggested, try the cars on the type of roads you drive, and like anything in this world, remember the first impression each car makes on you. First impressions do count for a lot.

Thanks for all the opinions folks ... much appreciated.

I'll drive both again over the next few weeks and post back here on my opinions.

I'm not a real pertolhead, but I'm definitely leaning towards the BMW. It made a better first impression and it looks better than the Merc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

MercMad wrote:
    ...........very true !

I've just bought my second W202, then again I prefer the E36 to the E46 !

I wouldn't like a 4cyl. diesel...............by ANY manufacturer though !

I agree. But definitely in the Lux class- 220d is for the tight fisted but successful motorist. E320CDi is the diesel to have but E320 is my personal favourite of the 'normal' petrols.

OP, I guess I can't understand why it's easy to dismiss the other 1000 legitimate options and end up agonising over the 2 most closely comparable equivalents.

cantdecide wrote:
    OP, I guess I can't understand why it's easy to dismiss the other 1000 legitimate options and end up agonising over the 2 most closely comparable equivalents.

Yes, I know there are many other options for the price ... Skoda, Audi, Saab, Alfa, Volvo etc, etc, etc. I would never dismiss lightly the expert opinions of those on this forum ... I just really like the BMW and I've decided to throw logic out the window and give myself a big treat!!! I turned 40 this year and I've decided to get something I always wanted.

:-) G23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Regarding the automatic, I never tried the merc but my bimmer (E46) has a steptronic gearbox where I can switch from auto to manual (The manual is electronic, just a quick push) and this thing is the best thing I have ever seen. When you switch over, you do not feel anything, only the engine roaring and all the bitch** turning their head over, that's brilliant :-)

A couple of years I know the first electronics box from bimmers where not great, but today I can say they work like a charm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement