Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Tax / stamp duty on rented apartment - Query

Options
  • 28-09-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our letting agency for our apartment wants us to pay some sort of tax because our rent from January 2008 will exceed a certain threshold. I have never heard of this. They said is would be about €200+. One of my housemates has bee renting the place for 5 years and I have been there 1.5 years. Seems odd to me. If it's legal then fine but I don't want to have to pay something that is really the landlord's responsibility.

Any know anything about this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's stamp duty and is due to the revenue. It was discussed here a few weeks ago. It's your responsibility to pay it, not the landlord's or the agent's. I would tell the agent that you will look after it yourself. The agent has no power to collect it from you if you are already in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

If your rent exceeds €19,050 a year then its 1% of the annual rent, presuming your lease is less than 35yrs.

Advertisement