Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drive Time - What do you listen to?

• 28-09-2007 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I hate the term "Drive Time" for a start, but anyway.

I used to be hooked on Hook, but I switched to Matt Cooper about three months ago, but one thing that annoys me about him.

Sometimes when he's asking questions he tries to sound like a naive idiot, or like he knows he's asking a question with an obvious (in his mind) answer. It irks me, but not enough to switch back to Hookey.

The very odd time I might switch on RTE1, but hardly ever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

DesF wrote:
    Sometimes when he's asking questions he tries to sound like a naive idiot, or like he knows he's asking a question with an obvious (in his mind) answer.

I find that annoying too. I don't think he presses (for want of a better word) people like he used to either. Sometimes he'll ask someone a question and they'll give a really lame or vague answer and he just has an 'ok, fair enough' attitude because he's caught for time and has to move on the next item. I'd prefer if he spent more time on fewer issues and explored them in more depth. I think one of his stand-ins (maybe Anton Savage or Fintan O'Toole) does a better job of cornering people. Also, he always has the same guests. Why anyone would give that nutjob from that Residents Against Racism group any airtime is beyond me, let alone having her on his show nearly every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I have always listened to Matt Cooper, Hook occasionally, because I will give them all a go - but I feel he likes the sound of his own voice too much and I don't like the way he talks. I think Matt is more impartial, but I too would prefer if segments were longer sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I have always listened to Matt Cooper, Hook occasionally, because I will give them all a go - but I feel he likes the sound of his own voice too much and I don't like the way he talks. I think Matt is more impartial, but I too would prefer if segments were longer sometimes.
    George's hilarious voice is one of the best things about him imho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

I only ever listen to Newstalk or (in the mornings, occasionally) Highland Radio, up here in Donegal. So Hook is the man. He can be a bit hard to listen to at times, but seems more genuine than any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If I'm in the mood for news & stuff, Matt Cooper; if I'm in the mood for music, John Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Coopers "faux fool" technique is really annoying as he does'nt even do it very well! I spend most of my time listing to Hooky these days, he may ramble on or get diverted at times but he's himself and not a machined stooge, I like that. Also impressed by his film knowledge (or does he have superior crib sheets?!).

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have Newstalk all nearly all day,except from 9 on till 2.One thing I like about Hook is if he is not very knowable on a subject he will just say so and not try to bluff his way through like other presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

It's gotta be Hook. The best show on radio at that time of the day - by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Cooper/Hook/Heavy traffic on Phantom.

Rotate when adverts come on.

Advertisement