Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Claim Process

Options
  • 28-09-2007 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had an accident yesterday and hit a car I was in the wrong. I knew the girls car who I hit so she said no need to go through insurance & that she would get a quote & come back in a bit of a panic I agreed. She came back with a quote of €2.5K which Im amazed by as I hit her from a starting position and my car only has some paint damage under the left headlight area. I know she knows the guy well who gave her the quote so I am a little bit suspicious. Someone who knows the girl well told me he would not be surprised if she was not insured.

Should I contact my insurance company and advise straight away? What would the possible impact of a 2.5K claim have on an insurance premium?
    I only put in a claim for a damaged back window last week, I have been driving for 10 years & these are first times I have had to make a claim.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tell her you can't afford the cash upfront and that she'll have to make a claim through your insurance companies. Notify your insurance company of the possibility of a claim. Hopefully if she's uninsured, she might get scared and quote you something more reasonable. If not, your insurance company will send out their own assessors to have a look at the damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Tell her you'd like to get a second quote for comparison.
    Did you actually see the quote she got? are you sure it doesn't include a new set of tyres and a new stereo?:eek:
    Celtic67 wrote:
    What would the possible impact of a 2.5K claim have on an insurance premium?
    Depends on the policy you have - any NCB protection or step back?

Worst case is you'll lose your NCB, they can't load your premium because of a claim.
    This should still work out cheaper that paying 2.5k up front.

The windscreen claim should have no effect as most policies include free windscreen cover.

Sorry to hear about this - best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Cheers for the reples.
    Was on to my mate who works in insurance & he advised to get insurance details etc and go to insurance company.
    He explained re the NCB impact etc.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you feel suspicios then go the legal way. As it was mentioned above she might be looking for new tyres and get some other damages done while at it.

Advertisement