Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AJAX Project Help

Options
  • 28-09-2007 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I am doing a project with AJAX

I have experience working with the following:
    HTML
    CSS
    Javascript
    ASP

Is that enough to start developing using AJAX i know i will have to learn ajax and javascript is a part of ajax

Can i use asp in ajax i have been told no but W3C says you can

Can you offer any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AJAX basically is just an implementation of existing Javascript functions. The idea is that the browser doesn't have to continually load and reload the page to send information back and forth. Javascript does it for them.

The basic rundown of most AJAX functions is like this:

1. User enters some info in a form.
    2. User presses a button.
    3. Button calls Javascript
    4. Javascript takes the info from the form and sends it to another page.
    5. The page processes the information and sends back a response.
    6. Javascript processes this response to change the items/layout of the page.

If you're reasonable comfortable with Javascript and a server-side language, then the AJAX primer on www.w3schools.com will do just fine to get you up and running quickly. It's actually very simple when you get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

What seamus said and yes, you can use ajax with asp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Of course you can and is not as hard as many makes it out to be.
    There is an example I put togheter for some member in Irish Web Master Forum :

http://www.eire-webdesign.ie/t-Ajax-load-content-from-another-file-without-browser-refresh-using-Ajax-g2-next1.html

Simple and to the point.
    There are times when you might require a more complex option, but there are tones of tutorials and ready made packages that you can use to do your own coding like YUI from Yahoo released under GPL.

Advertisement