Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgians Debate whether their nation should exist?

Options
  • 28-09-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=avimage&iid=i4UZ9Endoq4U

just caught this piece on Bloomberg, apparently alot of naval gazing if the country should split or not?

Anyone know anything about this?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's been in the news for a while now. There is a largeish separatist party in Flanders which is the main driving force behind it. However, there is little support for the concept in the South.

The main problem is that of pragmatics: For example, who gets Brussels? What happens to the islands of Flemmish regions in Wallonia? How will economically interlinked cities like Antwerp and Liege continue business?

I don't think anything much is going to come of this.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heard a piece on radio, the Dutch speaking Flemish were and still are to a degree oppressed by the French speaking Walloons, the north of the country traditionally was the ecomically weakest, but the tables have turned and some Flemish are pondering a split (they do not have any interest in joining Netherlands) as they are now subsidising the Walloons.

What is interesting is that Belgium as a federal entity continues to function dispite not having a government for 3 months.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

In today's world it won't make a whole lot of difference to trade or anything else ... let them split, why not? They are 2 very different peoples. I agree Brussels is a problem.

Advertisement