Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kirk! ...maybe

Options
  • 28-09-2007 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Empire is reporting on a rumour that Mike Vogel might just be the new Jim Kirk.

MikeVogel_Grani_8584025_400.jpg

He's not been in anything I've seen (Poseidon and that upcoming 1-18-08 thing), but he could look the part I reckon!

Nice to see them going for relative unknowns too.. but I suppose that was inevitable really. So long as they pick the right relative unknowns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i dont know i dont think he looks the part but if he can act anyway neer as good as shatner can and they make him look like young kirk it could work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Yea an unknown is best, there was talk of matt damon but that is all stopped now I think
    Is it still on schedule for Dec 2008 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

More film news from BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7041249.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Pegg 'to star in Star Trek movie'

Hot Fuzz star Simon Pegg is to play Scotty in the new Star Trek movie, according to industry reports.

The British comic will join Eric Bana, and Leonard Nimoy in the latest big screen outing of the classic TV series, trade publication Variety has reported.

The movie, directed by Lost creator JJ Abrams, focuses on the early lives of Captain James T Kirk and Mr Spock and will start shooting next month.

The 11th Star Trek film will come out in the US on Christmas Day 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And apparently Chris Pine is now top contender for the Kirk role.

Goodshape wrote: »
    And apparently Chris Pine is now top contender for the Kirk role.

Confirmed. Along with Bones being played by Karl Urban
    BBC wrote:
    Star Trek film names Kirk actor

Little-known actor Chris Pine has been chosen to play the young Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek movie.

Pine had to turn down a role opposite George Clooney in the film White Jazz in order to play Kirk because of a clash of filming schedules.

Lord of the Rings actor Karl Urban will play Leonard "Bones" McCoy, the Starship Enterprise's medical officer.

The film, which chronicles the early days of the Enterprise crew, will be released in the US on 25 December 2008.

The movie will show the crew meeting at the Starfleet Academy and embarking on their first mission.

NEW STAR TREK FILM CAST
    Captain Kirk - Chris Pine
    Older Mr Spock - Leonard Nimoy
    Young Mr Spock - Zachary Quinto
    Scotty - Simon Pegg
    Nero - Eric Bana
    Uhura - Zoe Saldana
    Chekov - Anton Yelchin
    Sulu - John Cho
    Leonard 'Bones' McCoy - Karl Urban

The Paramount Pictures film is expected to begin shooting in November.

Urban's character Bones was responsible for several of Star Trek's famous phrases including: "He's dead, Jim."

New Zealand-born Urban played Eomer in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He also starred in The Bourne Supremacy.

The film, directed by Lost creator JJ Abrams, is Star Trek's 11th big screen outing.

The most recent Trek film, Star Trek: Nemesis, was released in 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Emmm. i dont get it...

How can they meet at the accademy for there first mission? Kirk took command of the enterprise after it had been launced because of what happened to christopher pike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

There was rumours they were looking for someone to play Pike too.

I guess it can't be both scenarios... I very much doubt Kirk went straight from the academy to commanding the Enterprise. I really hope it's not the academy.

Karl Urban an interesting choice for Bones. Still can't get over Simon Pegg though.

Well they have been very vague on the actual storyline. Personally I see them doing a flashback thing with Spock first telling of the initial meeting between himself and Kirk then skipping forward to when they next meet - on Kirk taking command of the Enterprise.

Also Eric Bana has been cast as the bad guy named Nero - apparently a Romulan so I don't know what all that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It's a pity TNG crew didn't get a proper send-off in Nemesis 5 years ago and that we probably wont be seeing them again.

I dont know about doing prequels, they tried it with with Enterprise and that flopped. How will they explain away the 60s outfits, dodgy Klingon heads etc in the new movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If anyone doesn't know about it, the wiki site is a great source of info for the movie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement