Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar help

• 28-09-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm working on my CV and trying to do my "Personal Profile" section at the minutes. Since it's at the very top of the page and is the only section that isn't completely made up of bullet points I'm trying to make sure that the grammar is perfect. So my question is:
    A strong innovator and problem solver who is results-driven, capable of quickly applying a logical approach to achieving objectives.
    or
    A strong innovator and problem solver who is results-driven and capable of quickly applying a logical approach to achieving objectives.
    Should I be joining the two fragments together with a comma, "and" or simply making two separate points and keeping the fragments separate?

I know it probably sounds a little pedantic, but the companies I'm applying to have stated again and again that they're obsessed with perfect grammar and spelling.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

They're both correct. I believe the second reads better. I'd also find it just as meaningful and a little more direct without the word "quickly." Just my opinion. I hate job interviews. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

Thanks for the help.

I can't even begin to imagine how bad the actual interviews will be when the CV/Cover Letter/Online application are all so difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I don't like that word "results-driven",in fact I'm not even sure if the hyphen should be there.

I would much prefer "driven by results"

The other smacks of jargon to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

A strong innovator and problem solver who is results-driven, capable of quickly applying a logical approach to achieving objectives.

Is that the entire sentence? Probably not but just in case you need a subject and a verb. "I am a strong.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't like the term results-driven at all. It's ambiguous to my mind. The implication is that your action is a re-action to the results rather than the results being the outcome of your actions.

I prefer "result focused". FWIW

• Advertisement
Advertisement